Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

Can’t argue with his defensive displays. 4 starts, 4 clean sheets speaks for itself.  Would be happy to see him continue playing but as I said before this game, I’m happy to see any 3 out of the 5 midfielders that currently play for us. They all have something to offer.

I just don’t want to see Barkley in there. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think Luiz is a better player and with a much higher potential to grow.

We need to start consider the idea of McGinn not being an automatic starter. He isn't as good as some fans make him out to be.

Better player because he is Brazilian and used to play for Man City (or didn’t) or based on performances? We have to look at how effective the combinations of our midfield players are, Nakamba and McGinn might well turn out to be more effective than Luiz and McGinn, it’s not just about how good individuals are on their own it’s a bit more complex.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smg said:

Better player because he is Brazilian and used to play for Man City (or didn’t) or based on performances? We have to look at how effective the combinations of our midfield players are, Nakamba and McGinn might well turn out to be more effective than Luiz and McGinn, it’s not just about how good individuals are on their own it’s a bit more complex.

Come on, Luiz is clearly better overall. BUT that doesn't mean Nakamba isn't also a good player who is arguably becoming an integral part of the team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Come on, Luiz is clearly better overall. BUT that doesn't mean Nakamba isn't also a good player who is arguably becoming an integral part of the team.

Like I said it’s not about individuals but combinations, and their  effectiveness will depend on the opposition so we should perhaps be pleased that we have them both to give us those options. The jury’s out in my opinion who might turn out to be the best because Nakamba has been largely sidelined up to now so we will see if Luiz does turn out to be ‘clearly better’ in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

No need to set our 2 DMs against each other. They both have traits any modern footballing team would find attractive. You play the player better suited for the matchup. 

With Sheffield I can see Dean going either way. They have played better recently but still do most of their work on the wings. Not sure we need a "destroyer" against a team like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

MOTM. Excellent performance. I don't think he has had anywhere near enough game time consistently to ever really settle. More power to him for being able to come in to the team and just boss it. 

I love this guy, he is awesome.

Proper down to earth little chap, get's given a chance and comes into the team and grabs it with both hands.

Great little professional and a marvellous performance once again.

5 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

No need to set our 2 DMs against each other. They both have traits any modern footballing team would find attractive.

I'd be interesting in seeing them together in certain matches, feel like it might help us win and keep the ball better against more aggressive sides with both an out-and-out destroyer (which SJM will never be) in Marv + a good deep passer in Doug, then you can balance your attacking intent and style of progression with one of SJM/Ramsey/Sanson. On a related note, I think we just about have the players when everyone is fit and firing for a spin on Milan's 4-3-2-1, though I don't know if Dean would try it.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Luiz gives to many free kicks away in dangerous areas , as a DM that fact alone is why he isn't affective. When we don't have the ball Nakamba is a better player. 

His performances show why our first priority in the summer should be to spend big on a commanding defensive midfielder. Bissouma would do. 

We’re a much better side with Nakamba in it at the moment, not because he’s a superstar, but because it means teams can’t play through us so easily. 

Deserves to keep his place in the side, but I’m also all for rotating depending on who we’re playing. 

I also think our formation helped. 4-3-3 is better for our players. It keeps it simple and allows Mcginn a little more freedom and defensively I noticed our full backs were not as exposed whilst keeping the middle protected too. 

I hope we don't go back to the 4 2 3 1 yes we lose the benefits of the number 10 space but Ollie is so good he'll adapt and learn to play as a false 9 and drop in there when they have the ball.

Nakamba played really well and for me it's his shirt to lose. I like the fact that we were solid and against less intense teams that solidity will give us the license to attack more. 

Definitely deserves to keep his place. For me he is a player that doesn't do much for our team when in possession, but is our best defensively minded midfielder. The other two midfielders stayed quite deep and gave him a lot of support which really helped him. In games where we play more open he can be exposed. It's horse for courses. But you simply can't drop a guy on the back of a motm performance.

Â