Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We were certainly hitting it quick and long into the corners as soon as the defence picked it up on Saturday instead of just playing it to one of the midfielders.

Could be just due to Doug not playing as he can start off the moves while that isn't a strong point for Marvellous or it was a weakness we identified from watching Arsenal before. Or we scored the goal from them making a mistake from a long ball from us so decided to use that tactic for rest of first half.

I personally think it was because there was no Dougie there always available for a pass. I don’t think some of our fans appreciate what  he does and how important he is.   There’s always going to be games where we need Nakamba and have to dig deep because won’t have as much of the ball. But as we improve as a team we’ll need to move away from having to play that way and keep the ball much better. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I personally think it was because there was no Dougie there always available for a pass. I don’t think some of our fans appreciate what  he does and how important he is.   There’s always going to be games where we need Nakamba and have to dig deep because won’t have as much of the ball. But as we improve as a team we’ll need to move away from having to play that way and keep the ball much better. 

I was one of them.  Now i'm convinced we need him but maybe some games we need the extra insurance. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nakamba has a higher passing accuracy than Luiz for this season and last season. You could argue Luiz is better at long ball passing, but their short passing stats are near identical.

I don't think Nakamba loses the ball as much as people think.

Nakamba has just presided over 3 clean sheets, in his last 3 outings.......different players for me, so comparisons are not that helpful to me.

It just depends how the manager wants to set up.....but far from criticising Dougie, I prefer to see a marked improvement in Marvellous.....its good for squad progression and player residual value.

18 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nakamba has a higher passing accuracy than Luiz for this season and last season. You could argue Luiz is better at long ball passing, but their short passing stats are near identical.

I don't think Nakamba loses the ball as much as people think.

Marvellous hasn't played the number of games Dougie has though.....I'm not sure a direct comparison of player, is helpful.....Dean just needs to use them, when he see's fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Nakamba has just presided over 3 clean sheets, in his last 3 outings.......different players for me, so comparisons are not that helpful to me.

It just depends how the manager wants to set up.....but far from criticising Dougie, I prefer to see a marked improvement in Marvellous.....its good for squad progression and player residual value.

i like marvelous and was intrigued to see how he'd cope vs arsenal when the other 2 clean sheets you mention were against burnley and newcastle where he was given the freedom of VP both games

i thought he did exceptionally well saturday, got passes away often when under pressure. i think CDM is a position we comfortably have 2 PL quality players, who can be rotated on an as needed basis

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

urm.....ok.

So you don't agree that any of the three offers more defensively then Barkley regardless of their height? 

Or you're your in the opinion that their avg height would cause problems in other parts of the pitch? 

Or that taking Barkley out would cost us too much going forward? 

All three maybe? 

If your going quote and comment my posts, at least have an opinion? 

It would be a small midfield trio, what's the issues you're seeing with that?

58 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i like marvelous and was intrigued to see how he'd cope vs arsenal when the other 2 clean sheets you mention were against burnley and newcastle where he was given the freedom of VP both games

i thought he did exceptionally well saturday, got passes away often when under pressure. i think CDM is a position we comfortably have 2 PL quality players, who can be rotated on an as needed basis

I am not getting carried away....but he does seem to have improved, he seems more aware of his surroundings....but the sample size is small at the moment.

The underperformance of others is making him a more viable option.

I don't know why McGinn and Luiz have gone backwards but they have. Virus? I can't believe lack off effort would affect them both at the same time. Confidence perhaps.

Â