Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

Only worth selling if we are bringing a replacement and upgrade like Kamara in… if a deal is lined up.*

Sarr sounds good but he is just a kid and who know if he is ready to take up that mantle of DM for us? I would think he’d need some time to settle and adapt…

* If not, we would be mad to let him leave…

Our midfield is in a bit of a state atm, unsettled. We need to secure & strengthen it…

Luiz is busy with Brazil and will be back late, no preseason or time off…

Sanson is working his way back from injury…

McGinn needs to show more form and consistency…

Nakamba is very much needed atm… our only “true” DM too…

Don’t think any of the kids are ready, including JJ (strengthen midfield and get him out on loan to develop).

Our only reliable defensive midfielder atm is Nakamba and he will be off to AFCON in January… now doesn’t seem the right time to sell him…

It would make sense to sell him in the short term though, due to his limitations and age, but not right now…

This is probably just pure speculation too and has no truth to it or we would not entertain an offer… unless, again, a replacement is waiting to arrive…

I’d rather we strengthen before selling personally but maybe it’s not as simple or straightforward as that…

Love this rumour. not because I want marvelous to go (I dont) but its nice to see our players being recognized by other clubs. shows we are building value. 

I would note Marvelous is improving season over season, I dont know where his ceiling is but he sure is effective smashing things in front of the back line.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Love this rumour. not because I want marvelous to go (I dont) but its nice to see our players being recognized by other clubs. shows we are building value. 

I would note Marvelous is improving season over season, I dont know where his ceiling is but he sure is effective smashing things in front of the back line.

Great point… maybe he has been undervalued and has more to offer…

Tbh, I haven’t seen it but if there really is genuine interest from fellow PL clubs… they must be seeing the quality and potential there.

He’s not a young player though… how much time and capacity does he have for improvement and adding new elements or attributes to his play? 

For me, he just doesn’t have the physicality, composure and quality on the ball to be a top class DM…

He works so hard though and is great at blocks and interceptions, seems more suited to a lower half team who would be under almost constant pressure in most if not all games… 

He doesn’t strike me as a player that can help dictate and control games/possession…

Would love to be surprised… at the moment, we need him…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Awol said:

Question (to anyone): would you be happy with Marv being our starting DM for most of next season? 

If the answer is no, if we can recruit better this summer and break even on his fee, and you’d rather sell him than Luiz, then we can’t be too sentimental about him moving on. 

FWIW I think he’s great at breaking up play, but very little else. Good squad player but not a first choice and it’s first choices we Need to progress. 

I’d be happy with him starting some games... I think we need more than just 11 world-class players and zero on the bench.

He is improving, definitely adds to the team. Sure, I’d sell him at the right price, but this “first team” argument is getting tiresome. 

WE NEED A SQUAD...

Just because he doesn’t do anything exciting doesn’t mean he isn’t adding value on the pitch. We couldnt play 10 Jacks and Emi in goal and expect to win...

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is more Daily Heil bollocks. Did anyone read the article? Horrible speculative junk 

Probably, but still worth discussing…

The Bailey link came from the Mail too but maybe a different journalist…

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wouldn't sell him to our rivals. I think he'll have a breakout year of sorts. 

Another fair point… I just wonder, would Everton or Palace play him as a regular or guaranteed starter?

Because, from Marv’s perspective, what would be the point of swapping our bench for theirs? And he’s going to get more game time, initially, than he has done in quite a while for us…

If he’s deemed good enough to be Evertons DM, then he should be good enough for us, in the meantime…

However, from the club’s perspective if we could get our money back on him (or maybe even a profit) and replace him with better (and help finance that deal), then it makes sense…

It’s a curious case… 😆

19 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

…argument is getting tiresome. 

WE NEED A SQUAD...

Just because he doesn’t do anything exciting doesn’t mean he isn’t adding value on the pitch. We couldnt play 10 Jacks and Emi in goal and expect to win...

Agreed, that’s why I said ‘if you’d rather sell him than Luiz’. 

We need a new DM and preferably a starter, the dogs in the street can see that. One of Marv or Luiz would have to make way in the squad for that new player, realistically. 

I’d choose Marv to leave over Luiz, would you? 

Just look at our final two results of the season. Nakamba starts both and we win. Seems to be the go to man against the teams that will have more of the ball. I think we still need to figure Luiz out, until then I reckon Nakamba will be our man for those sorts of games.

No way we should sell, in my view. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yes, but how much are we potentially being offered? Wouldn't be interested unless we make a profit, something we  have not done on a player for ages.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Yes, but how much are we potentially being offered? Wouldn't be interested unless we make a profit, something we  have not done on a player for ages.

Exactly. If we can flip Marv and AEG this summer for more than we paid and reinvest in better players then we’re doing it right. It’s exactly what well run clubs do. 

• Like 1

I can see there's potential to upgrade, but given the season is only 3 weeks away he'll probably be first choice alongside Ginny and could make himself a fixture. Would be a risk to sell unless we know we've got a very strong replacement lined up . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Sample size of games he didn't start is also triple that of the games he did.

That is true but he did play a good blend of dross and top half sides. And he did look pretty good in the games he played. His defensive stats were very impressive, but his limitations were as evident as ever.

Gained a bit of composure over the course of the season, and looked better than the season before.

I wouldn't be against keeping him and using him, but also wouldn't be against selling him and buying an upgrade.

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Question (to anyone): would you be happy with Marv being our starting DM for most of next season? 

If the answer is no, if we can recruit better this summer and break even on his fee, and you’d rather sell him than Luiz, then we can’t be too sentimental about him moving on. 

FWIW I think he’s great at breaking up play, but very little else. Good squad player but not a first choice and it’s first choices we need to progress. 

I like him too but I'd sell both of them, add a bit more and go spend a fortune on what I consider to be the most important piece of the jigsaw, spend 60m on a top class 6.

But answering you're question, I'd be fine with Marv starting. 

Edited by Phil Silvers

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I like him too but I'd sell both of them, add a bit more and go spend a fortune on what I consider to be the most important piece of the jigsaw, spend 60m on a top class 6.

If we sold both, how would we manage should that £60m DM get injured or suspended?

I don’t think you’d need to spend anywhere near that much for one either, 20-30m would probably do. Boubacar Kamara would be ideal and could even be bought for less with his contract situation…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â