Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

On 18/12/2020 at 01:37, Tomaszk said:

McGinn as the 10 is the sort of wackiness I want to see. One of the only guys with the confidence to get on the ball in tight areas.

We've seen him play that role last season and it was horrific. He didn't contribute to games at all most of the time standing 6ft from. Wesley allowing one defender to take them both out the game and never showing for the ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

We've seen him play that role last season and it was horrific. He didn't contribute to games at all most of the time standing 6ft from. Wesley allowing one defender to take them both out the game and never showing for the ball. 

Yeah I'd never want to try that experiment again. It's one of the reasons McGinn looks so much better this season.

On 18/12/2020 at 01:58, Sulberto21 said:

Nakamba made one tackle high up which led to a very good chance for us. I think he repeated it 2 more times in the second half. I love seeing that. He's probably the only player who can do that. With confidence hopefully he can pass the ball forwards better. 

I’m not sure you can really teach what he doesn’t have in his game. 

He’s a very limited, hard working defensive midfielder. I just don’t think he has the tools to do it at Premier League level. 

A decent squad player for where we are now as a club. He certainly has a role to play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not sure you can really teach what he doesn’t have in his game. 

He’s a very limited, hard working defensive midfielder. I just don’t think he has the tools to do it at Premier League level. 

A decent squad player for where we are now as a club. He certainly has a role to play. 

This.

Good off the bench, and with limited game time, he can probably start a handful of games a season with really high energy, and against the bottom half, he'll do fine.
I suspect we'll be looking to sell him in the summer, or a year later - maybe to a newly promoted club who just need that experience and only have £8m of budget. 
And that's how we'll progress as a club.

19 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

This.

Good off the bench, and with limited game time, he can probably start a handful of games a season with really high energy, and against the bottom half, he'll do fine.
I suspect we'll be looking to sell him in the summer, or a year later - maybe to a newly promoted club who just need that experience and only have £8m of budget. 
And that's how we'll progress as a club.

We're not going to do a whole lot better than him for backup, so it wouldn't make much sense to sell him for the next few years IMO. 

Just now, lexicon said:

We're not going to do a whole lot better than him for backup, so it wouldn't make much sense to sell him for the next few years IMO. 

Anyone coming through from the U23s? 

Plus - if/when we get into Europe, we might need to have 3x starters for the 2x midfield berths alongside Luiz and McGinn just to combat fatigue. 
Totally get your point, but to go to the next level again, quite a few of the current first 11 either need to step up again or they will find themselves on the bench soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Anyone coming through from the U23s? 

Plus - if/when we get into Europe, we might need to have 3x starters for the 2x midfield berths alongside Luiz and McGinn just to combat fatigue. 
Totally get your point, but to go to the next level again, quite a few of the current first 11 either need to step up again or they will find themselves on the bench soon. 

The players coming through all seem to be 16-19, which is on the young side in terms of dependability  - it always pays to have some experience available. 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 10:39, lexicon said:

Think this depends on what we mean by 'the next few years' IMO. An average stay for a player at a club these days seems to be somewhere between 2 and 3 seasons, especially if they aren't a first-team regular. I would hope that by the end of next season, he's either improved and playing regularly, or we're considering carefully whether he deserves a place in a 25-man squad.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think this depends on what we mean by 'the next few years' IMO. An average stay for a player at a club these days seems to be somewhere between 2 and 3 seasons, especially if they aren't a first-team regular. I would hope that by the end of next season, he's either improved and playing regularly, or we're considering carefully whether he deserves a place in a 25-man squad.

I don't think we will sign someone who is between his quality and mcginn and luiz's quality. Either we sign a starter or someone at their level or we keep nakamba.

My thoughts on Nakamba is that he has done alright when called upon. He adds something others don't have.  You can see what he's about. He looks fairly solid when he keeps it simple.

He will also gradually get a bit better with this team's coaching and I think you can see that from last season and now.

But it's also pretty clear he will never be a starter for us if we keep improving.

Either way, it was a decent punt at  £10 mill or so in this market. Alright squad option, especially when there's more cup matches to be had.

I like this guys but WBA where equally as hard to break down as Burnley but Luiz dictated the tempo in that game and got us moving out of defence quicker this is something Nakamba can’t do but he is  a fine squad player regardless 

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Saw an article claiming that he's on 55k a week - that's got to be nonsense, surely?

He must have a marvelous agent. 

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

Saw an article claiming that he's on 55k a week - that's got to be nonsense, surely?

That's a tremendous amount of money, fantastic, some would even say monumental! That's why they call him Mustard Nakamba. 

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Yeah nonsense 32.5k a week apparently.

I wouldn't know either way but I do think the average fan these days doesn't understand how much bog standard premier league players get now.

Â