Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

51 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Who knows, maybe someone on here will even compare him to a white player at some point rather than every single person comparing him to kante / gueye / makalele / ndidi / insert random other black midfielder here....

I definitely see where you're coming from, it's always a little awkward seeing comparisons to completely different types of players. But can you think of any white defensive midfielders of recent times comparable to Marvelous? Maybe Gattuso? But Marv has got more technical ability than he ever had. Honestly can't think of any top white destroyer types in recent times, certainly not in the PL.

I personally think the Gana comparison is pretty apt. Kante not as much, N'Didi even less. Makalele is brought up a lot because as mentioned he's the gold standard for the position. Just like attacking left backs are the next Ashley Coles or goal scoring midfielders are the next Lampard etc. It just so happens that a lot of the best DMs are black. I don't think it's as lazy a comparison as say when every tall black striker is the new Drogba for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I saw one guy on Twitter say that they meant McGinn is his manager but manager doesn't rhyme with rasta (which doesn't rhyme with Nakamba, but we'll ignore that for now) so they used master instead and we're all just being PC snowflakes calling everything racist. I can never quite shake the feeling that the internet was a mistake.

I suspect whoever started/though of it knew exactly what it meant but a lot of the kids singing it didn’t. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

chalobah, gbamin, wanyama, kouyate, sanchez, fernandinho, doucoure, lerma (CDMs as per FIFA 20). what can i say...it appears to be a position that coincidentally has a lot of black players playing there, so guess what, when you compare nakamba to players in his position they're likely to be black also!!

the only ones left are the likes of henderson and schneiderlin and that would be a great insult to marvelous to compare him to them

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Being Black my self I can’t see why comparing a player to a makeleke or kante is offensive its just one of those things If someone compared me  to makelele I would take it as a compliment, I can take a lot of banter on the chin but the thing that gets me most about This chant Is the condoning / makeing fun of slavery   , glad the club addressed it so soon dont want this great club to be labled racist just a small minority of fans that need educating .

Well you're obviously not Black Enough, sellout! - Signed: Social Justice 2019

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

I hope we never get to the stage where we have to think twice before we compare one player with another. 

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

can take a lot of banter on the chin but the thing that gets me most about This chant Is the condoning / makeing fun of slavery  

I’d like to believe some of them didn’t know what they were referencing. If they did then it’s just shocking they could think that’s acceptable and that they would get away with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I hope we never get to the stage where we have to think twice before we compare one player with another. 

I’d like to believe some of them didn’t know what they were referencing. If they did then it’s just shocking they could think that’s acceptable and that they would get away with it.

How could you not know though? I find that incredible. I'd be worried about what they teach in school if that chant didn't give some of them pause.

• Like 1

Comparing a player to a 'great' who played in a similar manner, who happens to be the same race, isn't racist. Obviously.

Singing a shit chant which plays up a stereotype, however 'banter-y' it is, and more overtly straight up references slave dynamics (even if that isn't the intent), is more than a little racist.

Is it monkey chants, bananas and the N word? No. Is it meant to be derogatory? Generally no but theres an argument that the second bit is by it's very nature. But it's still **** grim. Surely we're at a point were we can see that racial stereotyping and nods to slavery are wrong.

The club doesn't need this idiocy.

If they really wanted to rhyme rasta (this was racist enough) with master, they could have just said he's a midfield master or something? How in the hell is saying John McGinn is his master supposed to be a compliment? Forget about how utterly racist it is, it's also the dumbest chant I've ever heard. 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Who knows, maybe someone on here will even compare him to a white player at some point rather than every single person comparing him to kante / gueye / makalele / ndidi / insert random other black midfielder here....

I think he’s like a modern day Terry Hurlock.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

This is a ludicrous thing to get upset about. Positively commending and comparing one talented, black footballer to another talented black footballer, because they are similar in passing ability, all-action style, commitment, tackling ability dedication, hard work...etc. is not remotely wrongheaded. He's a cracking player, and comparing him, or saying there's a bit of a similarity in style to the brilliant way Kante plays (which IMO there is) is a pure compliment. 

I'm not upset about it in the slightest, Just seems a bit like a lot of lazy comparisons really. Perhaps i'm wrong and this position is currently entirely dominated by non white players so the comparisons get made but haven't seen any comparisons to Carrick, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets etc, Hell even Gareth Barry

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

I'm not upset about it in the slightest, Just seems a bit like a lot of lazy comparisons really. Perhaps i'm wrong and this position is currently entirely dominated by non white players so the comparisons get made but haven't seen any comparisons to Carrick, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets etc, Hell even Gareth Barry

Who's more similar to Marvelous, Gareth Barry and Michael Carrick or Idrissa Gueye and N'Golo Kante? Those are completely different kinds of players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

I'd say Douglas Luiz is more like Carrick or Alonso.  Nakamba is definitely more like Gueye and hopefully will be as good as Kante one day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd say Douglas Luiz is more like Carrick or Alonso.  Nakamba is definitely more like Gueye and hopefully will be as good as Kante one day.

Good shout. If Douglas was compared to Kante that would definitely be suspect. But Marvelous is definitely in the Gueye/Kante mould and not the Busquets/Carrick/Barry mould.

Stop with the non sense.

Luiz is more like a box to box like Ji Sung Park, Ballack, Seedorf. He's not a deeplying playmaker like Carrick or Alonso.

You seriously need to watch this guy play. Your way off the mark

Edited by villalad21

Â