Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

34 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Probably already been answered, but how come the women don't have their own section of the forum? Would keep things tidy. 

tenor.gif

Edited by sidcow

That was a wicked comeback to a wicked win.

Our Keeper can take a battering that's for sure.

Lehmann is lovely on the ball, she got some skills and knows how to get past her mark.

There were times when I thought what is this Villa team, it's so different from the Villa ladies of last season, they are playing with extreme hunger today. The passing slot of the time was fast, accurate and with speed. Our crossing was nice, again much better than last season.

Massive win and a great confidence boost. We’ll have much tougher tests but Leicester will be one of the teams in our lower half group, so the win is important. 

Integrating many new players is always going to be difficult and implementing Carla’s ideas will take time. We played some good stuff at times though. Neat and tidy and kept the ball better than last season. 

Hampton is a real quality pick up. She’s young, bit raw but obviously has a lot of ability. We’ll do well to keep hold of her. 

Edited by ferguson1

On the basis that this season will most likely hinge on staying ahead of Leicester and Blues, this has to go down as a result. 

After winning only 3 games all season last year to chalk up one on the first game of the season can only be a good thing even if it sounds like we were really lucky to get it. 

• Like 2

Much improved second half, I thought Mayling was pretty much outstanding, but hard not to think of Hampton as woman of the match as without her saves we wouldn't have even got a point. Lehmann looks good as well, I liked Iwabuchi, but Lehamman looks more effective.

• Like 1

I only watched after half time until the F1 started but Lehmann definitely looked the most threatening to me in the short time. 

Still got the Aussie striker to come into the side as well right? Hopefully it can be a good year. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Catched the las minute of it.

Barely any people there which is disappointing.

Covid restrictions or a lack of interest? Really hoping it's the former.

At one point when we scored the crowd noise was loud.

As a steward, covid restriction are still in place at football but some crowds are allowed back, it's getting there. Covid isnt going to go away, I was sposed to do racing at thirsk today and have had to self isolate despite the test being negative all because I have the symptoms.

Interest maybe down because of Covid but also because we barely survived last season and that womens football is still gaining followers and popularity.

Off topic but watching this Eve - City match and the referee is awful, has proper big club bias with every decision. Everton players penalises for even daring to run near a city player. Ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Off topic but watching this Eve - City match and the referee is awful, has proper big club bias with every decision. Everton players penalises for even daring to run near a city player. Ridiculous. 

It's been this way forever unfortunately. Really hoping there's investment to developing refs with this increased exposure of the women's game. 

I don't think we were lucky to win that game, our keeper made the saves when she needed to in the first half which isn't lucky it's just good play from her, and then in the second half we were the better team and took our chances, we were unlucky not to get a third as referee should have played an advantage just before Lehmann score that long range disallowed goal.

Could hopefully be a decent season but the aim is probably to get to at least 5 wins ASAP, and then a few draws would see us hit the 20 point mark. Would be a decent season of consolidating our position in the Super League, especially after all the signings that have been made. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

IMO Everton is the bigger club, there. 
As for Villa, good result. With all the changes in staff and players it’s important to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

Good start for the Villa ladies, hopefully they’re a bit more comfortable this season. 

I watched the Everton v Man City game earlier, I’ve not watched any women’s football for a while. It was a bit better than I expected, some good attacking play but the defending and goalkeeping was generally terrible. 

Â