Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Great result and good to hear we are looking at new signings. I do wonder what the long term plan is for the ladies team. To make us compete at the very top it would take some investment, but compared to the mens team it would be tiny. 

The top women's teams are pretty much the same as mens - Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal. Only Liverpool not there. To see Villa women above those would raise the profile of the club

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

A great loan signing. Her experience will be invaluable in helping us get a real foothold in the league.

We don't look relegation threatened this season as it stands, so the only concern is doing whatever needs to be done to finish as high as possible to be an attractive destination for the sorts of player that will raise our profile.

It's great to see big, positive moves are being made all across the board at this club right now. I hope it bears fruit sooner rather than later.

Transfer deadline day is Thursday, so if we're going to sign an attacker it's going to have to happen in the next few days. Patten already looking like one of our best players, Jill Scott is obviously a very good player as well, and if we can strengthen our attack as well, then it will have been a very good window for us.

On 19/01/2022 at 22:39, useless said:

U21s play Man Utd in the other semi-final next week, so could potentially set up a local derby in the final.

Lost 5-0.

Strange result as we're above United in the table and have only lost one game all season, and that was seemingly because of players being out with covid.

Still got a chance of finishing top of the table though.

Senior team only two points off last seasons points total with ten games still left to play.

Hopefully can bring in one or two signings tomorrow, to help push for a top half finish.

Edited by useless

We talk about the attack needing to be strengthened, but defensively only small heath have conceded more than us, and the midtable teams that we're aiming to catch have conceded considerably less, so signing an international defender to go with Patten to help us in that area will be no bad thing.

Corsie will be an excellent signing, brining talent, experience and ability to that backline.

If we can get her dating McGinn then we'll also have made significant strides in the underlying plan to keep the first team out of Snobs on a Saturday.

"@SkyAnton  #AVFC expected to confirm the signing of Rachel Corsie later but won't be signing a striker after narrowly missing out on a target." Disappointing about the striker, I'm wondering if signing Corsie could allow us to move Patten to right-back, where's been playing for Arsenal, and then move Mayling further forward. Hopefully when Gielnik returns from international duty she can get a run of games, doesn't feel like her Villa career has properly got going yet. Just having better players in the team should help us to score more goals as well, for example for the winner against Leicester, Patten played a long accurate pass out of defence that otherwise probably would have been more of an hit and hope clearance, without her in the team and her ability to play from the back i don't think we would have got that winner.
  • Like 1

Elisha N’Dow has joined Coventry United on loan, I don't think she's a bad defender, but with Asante and Sargeant being first choice pairing in the first half of the season, and now Patten and seemingly Corsie coming in, then she would be fifth choice. Natalie Haigh has also joined Coventry on loan.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Elisha N’Dow has joined Coventry United on loan, I don't think she's a bad defender, but with Asante and Sargeant being first choice pairing in the first half of the season, and now Patten and seemingly Corsie coming in, then she would be fifth choice. Natalie Haigh has also joined Coventry on loan.

Emily Syme has left as well. Mutual termination of contract. 

I’m really pleased we’re progressing this side of the club. It certainly adds something, whether it be to our overall brand, attracting new fans and improving that winning mentality throughout the club.

Clearly the women’s game is growing at quite a fast rate, with increasing TV exposure, we’d be mad to ignore it. It’s refreshing and I’ve enjoyed watching them this season.

Would just be great if we can make that next step and get in amongst the top six clubs next season.

We play Chelsea today in the FA Cup, typical of our luck as a club that we draw the holders in the first game. Ward said in the week that we're going to use this game to experiment with being more attack minded, nothing to lose I guess.

Edited by useless

Â