Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

47 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Jack Grealish, Gabby Agbonlahor played for the youth teams and progressed through to the full team, thats why the youth teams are relevant.

Jodie Hutton & Amy West wont ever progress to play for Aston Villa, only Aston Villa Women.

So!? What bizzare logic. How do we know who is going to progress until they do!? What about if no players progress fully for a season, do we then put the youth thread in off topic until someone gets to the full team again. 

Your last three words are exactly why this thread should be on this board. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So!? What bizzare logic. How do we know who is going to progress until they do!? What about if no players progress fully for a season, do we then put the youth thread in off topic until someone gets to the full team again. 

What a bizarre comment. Whether the youth team provide 0 or 10 players, its main purpose is to provide for the first team.

If Aston Villa launch a rugby team I wouldnt expect to see it on the main board here either. 

There’s an element of talking the women’s game up by the media, particularly by the BBC, that is attributable to political correctness and the fact that, in the Beeb’s case, it’s just about the only football they cover. I think the women’s game has improved over the last few years and I watched the last couple of England games. However no matter how much they try to hype it, not many people, men or women are that interested. 

I’m generalising but most women I know have little interest in football and so the women’s game will only go so far. Any women who want to play football at any level should be encouraged, but there’s a massive over hyping of women’s football. The BBC have even started to qualify whether they’re talking about the men’s or women’s game, when it’s blindingly obvious which they’re talking about. Talk of equal pay is equally ridiculous, when there just isn’t the money to pay women players the same. Perhaps one day the women’s game will grow to be as big as the men’s, but it has to grow, not just be billed as such by the PC brigade  

I’m actually surprised the Beeb don’t use the term, “People who identify as women football team”. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, blunther said:

Didn't 11m people watch the semi-final the other day?

It was a one off. My wife watches matches like semi finals of world cups, well it’s on and she’s in the room, but she’d admit to not being particularly bothered. The press have reported some huge crowds for the odd big women’s match, but figures for a normal club game are often measured in hundreds. I’m happy that the women’s game is growing, but people are making out it’s bigger than it is. Stories on the BBC website such as, “5 reasons why women’s football is better than men’s”, is just utter nonsense. They’re the same game, one doesn’t have to be better than the other, although the men’s is obviously at a higher standard and with bigger interest. 

I have a daughter who is almost 5 and if she wants to play football, or any sport, I’ll be very happy to encourage her. I knew someone who played for Aston Villa Ladies and we have friends who’s daughter is desperate to become a professional footballer. It’s just the over hyping and the politically correct agenda that I don’t care for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So just to prove a point to myself, I scrolled through the AV Womens twitter feed.. as I expected they dont mention anything about the mens football. Not even a congratulations on winning the playoffs.

The ONLY time they retweet a villa tweet is when its something to do with the main account tweeting about the womens team (like season tickets for women football surprise surprise).

The only time they mentioned the playoff was that one of the women players is dating the Derby keeper so is in 2 minds which team she wants to win.

So they don't care about the mens team just trying to exploit the fans, it's there for all to see - not even a "well done" for winning the most important game for years.

Now I'm not saying they should as the account is clearly for womens football, but then why does the main account keep retweeting the women stuff? Just leave it to the people, both accounts exist for each team and people can follow either or both.

19 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I'm no feminist obviously, but the real problem is the word before the last three words. 

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Once again, the sport owes the women’s game.

What do you mean by that exactly? You've said it a few times now

You make it sound like we've been nicking their best players for generations 

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

What do you mean by that exactly? You've said it a few times now

You make it sound like we've been nicking their best players for generations 

Well I assumed you knew because you said you appreciated what they (the women) do.

The women’s game used to be huge. Genuinely huge. Sell out crowds. Rivalling the men’s game.

Then the FA banned the game for 50 years. Lifting the ban in the early 70’s, when the game had moved on significantly so the women’s game has been trying to play catch up ever since.

Read up about it, the sport owes them.

Edit so yes, in a way we did nick their best players for generations.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 3

Didn't know that, that's pretty sad actually. 

I said I appreciate what they do because it's undoubtedly harder for them and opportunities aren't as plenty as there are in men's game. 

I watch a lot of motorcycle racing and a few women have competed amongst the men. I remember a few years back one young Spanish lady won a race in the lower classes. And Jenny Tinmouth was in BSB for a few years. So they are talented. 

I actuality watch women's football so have nothing against it. 

All I'm saying is things shouldn't be forced on people, think that's where we disagree. 

51 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Didn't know that, that's pretty sad actually. 

I said I appreciate what they do because it's undoubtedly harder for them and opportunities aren't as plenty as there are in men's game. 

I watch a lot of motorcycle racing and a few women have competed amongst the men. I remember a few years back one young Spanish lady won a race in the lower classes. And Jenny Tinmouth was in BSB for a few years. So they are talented. 

I actuality watch women's football so have nothing against it. 

All I'm saying is things shouldn't be forced on people, think that's where we disagree. 

I know you’re not against women playing football, I understand that it’s the intrusion of it in the mainstream football media that you’re not keen on.

All this is just the clubs/authorities/men (and women) in general attempting to readdress the balance a bit, trying to right a few wrongs. I dare say that while the 50 year ban may well have been lifted in 1971, it’s probably a safe bet that those in the game didn’t exactly rush to help any women who wanted to be involved, so the impact of the ban was compounded.

4 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Well I assumed you knew because you said you appreciated what they (the women) do.

The women’s game used to be huge. Genuinely huge. Sell out crowds. Rivalling the men’s game.

Then the FA banned the game for 50 years. Lifting the ban in the early 70’s, when the game had moved on significantly so the women’s game has been trying to play catch up ever since.

BBC propaganda 

On 05/07/2019 at 11:10, Junxs said:

I want it in off topic/other football because it's got nothing to do with Aston Villa. When we sell a player it gets moved to other football.. well these women cant ever play for Aston Villa. I don't hear people saying well if you don't want to read about Alan Hutton etc you can skip over it

The team is an official part of the club's portfolio of teams and discussion of the team belongs in the main forum.

If (and yes that's a pretty big if) there are other threads, they will all be tagged with the "Villa Women" tag. It's quite easy to set up an activity feed excluding these if they bother you so much that you can't just not open the clearly labelled threads.

• Like 3

Getting back on topic, I'm excited that the new owners want to push the women's team further. Its wrong seeing Small Heath have a better team than us (though they seem to be collapsing these last few weeks with player departures) and i want us to be the dominant force in Midlands football in the women game like we are the mens. 

• Like 4

I like the sound of this, women’s football is a growing trend I think, I’ve really enjoyed watching the women’s World Cup. More and more people are watching it, it’s a market that we can tap in to I think. With our forward thinking owners now, I think we’re in good hands, this illustrates it, I’m all for it

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I had no idea about this, and it’s quite an injustice.

i have to say I’ve been annoyed a few times when I’ve been click-baited on the Twitter into reading a piece of news that I thought was regarding the men’s team, and thought ‘oh **** off’ when it’s been about the women’s team.  I agree that it should be clearly indicated when referring to the women’s team. It’s more damaging than promotional when they do this, and they really ought to stop it.

i have no issue at all with the women’s game, and I believe it should be encouraged.  I do have an issue with the whole ‘pay gap’ thing, because the pay will be dependent on the revenue your product is generating.

if you really want ‘equality’ then women should be allowed to play in the men’s game, and earn whatever they can on merit.  Most of these girls are earning a living from something purely because men aren’t allowed into their game, so it will never be equal.

Â