Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 2019/2020

villalad21

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo. Messi is a great player but he struggles a lot outside the Barcelona system and style. 

Put Ronaldo or Messi in out 2015/16 relegation team and  Ronaldo would still hit 20 goals, Messi might get 10-12

Agree with the sentiment here. When the chips are very much down (like it was for us) I wonder how interested Messi would be. I am pretty sure Ronaldo would still put a shift and a half in every game and drag others up with him.

I have converted from team Messi to team Ronaldo in recent months. Still bossing it in Italy, after Spain, England and Portugal is incredible.

(Don't get me wrong, Messi is a very close second in my mind)

20 minutes ago, useless said:

I think I settled the argument of who's the better of the two with this thoughtful thought experiment... If you could sign either one for your own club as a youngster, with the guarantee that they'd be just as good as they've been in their careers proper, then which one would you pick? There's no way that I wouldn't choose Messi.

Funnily enough had almost the same discussion with my dad a few weeks ago.

Both choose Ronaldo. There are just no question marks regarding his ability to absolutely kill it regardless of team or league.

Think Portugal at the moment have an extremely interesting team.

Joao Felix might be the next superstar and they have quite a few quality players that are around 22 or so.

And then there is Bernardo Silva as well.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

I think Ronaldo is better suited at International level. Being tall, strong and good in the air he always have a good chance to score in any team.

Messi relies more on those through balls from creative players. He get's them at Barcelona, but it's harder in Argentina.

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Think Portugal at the moment have an extremely interesting team.

Joao Felix might be the next superstar and they have quite a few quality players that are around 22 or so.

And then there is Bernardo Silva as well.

Funnily enough, Ronaldo debuted at end of a Golden Generation and now near the end another team is emerging

He played most his games with Nani, Quaresma, Postiga in support 😂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Funnily enough, Ronaldo debuted at end of a Golden Generation and now near the end another team is emerging

Very true, he's a product of the golden generation and this new generation coming through is a product of him.

With his extreme physical fitness and will to win he could keep going for another 5 years if he stays motivated and doesn't get injured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Agree with the sentiment here. When the chips are very much down (like it was for us) I wonder how interested Messi would be. I am pretty sure Ronaldo would still put a shift and a half in every game and drag others up with him.

I have converted from team Messi to team Ronaldo in recent months. Still bossing it in Italy, after Spain, England and Portugal is incredible.

(Don't get me wrong, Messi is a very close second in my mind)

He didn't boss it in Spain - Messi did.  Part of the reason Ronaldo moved IMO as he's very much about the achievements and didn't want to be second best.  To be honest, I don't blame him for that either.

...but then he didn't boss it in Italy either.  The side he's with cruised another title, but Ronaldo wasn't top scorer (4th from memory) or hitting any records.

The reason Messi is a better player (and the main reason I prefer him too) is that he creates and finishes and sees everything.  His ability is unrivaled - there hasn't been one like him and I doubt there'll be another like him.  He's scored over 20 goals and got over 10 assists in every league season for the past 11 seasons (bar one season where he only got 9 assists).  That's astonishing.  Ronaldo is, of course, a **** ridiculous player as well, and his goalscoring exploits at Real Madrid won't be seen again.  Over a goal a game for 290+ games is just as astonishing - but he doesn't exceed elsewhere.  He has more shots in a game than Messi but doesn't pass or tackle as much as Messi.  For what it's worth, he doesn't dribble or get fouled as much as Messi.  And, for his last few seasons in La Liga, he didn't score as much as Messi.

He grabs headlines.  He scores goals and he scores goals in big moments.  For me, that's where he's better.  He loves the big moment, he loves the opportunity to shine and he does it - his Champions League and International performances back it up.  But he just isn't as good.  No-one is.

• Like 1

Ronaldo is a better athlete I'd say, but it's just impossible for anyone who's followed them both to claim he's a better footballer than Messi. It is for me anyway. 

I kinda feel for Messi cause due to Maradona half the world expected Messi to win Argentina a World Cup on his own. 

Got to admire Ronaldo as a winner mind. Must have an incredible mentality. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think Ronaldo is better suited at International level. Being tall, strong and good in the air he always have a good chance to score in any team.

Messi relies more on those through balls from creative players. He get's them at Barcelona, but it's harder in Argentina.

Definetely. Another point is that national teams often lack the relations you get a club levels for obvious reasons, except Spain a few years ago I guess. And Messi relies far more on off ball movement and an understanding than Ronaldo who can survive a lot on just being a physical specimen that's rarely seen in football. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ronaldo is a better athlete I'd say, but it's just impossible for anyone who's followed them both to claim he's a better footballer than Messi. It is for me anyway. 

I kinda feel for Messi cause due to Maradona half the world expected Messi to win Argentina a World Cup on his own. 

Got to admire Ronaldo as a winner mind. Must have an incredible mentality. 

Ronaldo is very emotionally charged. I remember watching a documentary on his time with Sporting where he would cry all the time, due to being away from family I think.

You can tell when he puts his heart and mind to something though,which has been football, that sensitivity turns to a fiery passion and he commits heart and soul.

Just to add a little something to the debate, people harp on about Messi has the privilege of teammates this and Barcelona that, and I used to be inclined to think so too.

But Ronaldo's Manchester United weren't exactly unknown to the table where the greatest teams of all time sit. I mean he was SAF's prodigy, and SAF's legacy is astounding.

They had Rooney, Scholes, Keane, Tevez, Nani, Vidic, Evra, van der Sar, Rio Ferdinand, Neville brothers, Giggs, and the list goes on. United during Ronaldo's rise was stacked.

I don't think Messi is dependent on teammates as people make out, he goes by defenders as easily as Ronaldo, Ronaldo uses power and pace where Messi is wily and crafty.

Certainly Messi would be accustomed to passing having shared the pitch with the best on offer, at a time where Cruyff and Rijkaard had already established an identity at his club.

The way I see it is both are incredible, but Messi edges it for me these days, I used to say Ronaldo was better but I was a bit of a Madrid fan for a short while, so I was biased.

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think your posts are ace A'Villan. But how anyone can support Madrid is beyond me. 

Most corrupt shit club in the world 

Admittedly not one of my finer moments. Any club that employs Karim Benzema, well, speaks for itself really..

I was going through a faze of playing everyday myself and wanted to be like Ronaldo, as he was my first exposure to skill at the next level.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 13:14, Zatman said:

And now he's playing them with Wolverhampton Wanderers

• 3 weeks later...

I know top teams can have bad seasons but not seen a team drop so badly like this Real team. Surely Ronaldo goals wasnt the only reason they were even challenging 

Some of the players look a pale imitation. Kroos, Varane, Ramos, Carvajal all dropped major levels. Casemiro the only one near the same level of form

Â