Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 2019/2020

villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

You can't say that age haven't effected Ronaldo.

He scored 29 goals last season, not saying that's bad but it's not 40-50 goals which he scored in his prime.

He went from a league where Diego Forlan scored 30+ goals and Suarez 40+ to a league only 2 players have scored 30+ goals in 60 years, which also changes matters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

He went from a league where Diego Forlan scored 30+ goals and Suarez 40+ to a league only 2 players have scored 30+ goals in 60 years, which also changes matters.

He was also 4th top scorer (21 goals) in a league where he plays as the focal point striker for a side that has won the league title for 8 seasons running.  Maybe age is starting to catch up with him.  A little bit.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He was also 4th top scorer (21 goals) in a league where he plays as the focal point striker for a side that has won the league title for 8 seasons running.  Maybe age is starting to catch up with him.  A little bit.

Age is obviously a factor. But he's mostly left wing this season.

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

And transfermarkt disagrees with that.

But I'll go by actually watching games. 

I didn't know transfermarkt did the same statistical analysis as WhoScored on a game-by-game basis to be fair - and I certainly don't watch much European football, so happy to be guided that Cristiano Ronaldo is actually a left winger.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't know transfermarkt did the same statistical analysis as WhoScored on a game-by-game basis to be fair - and I certainly don't watch much European football, so happy to be guided that Cristiano Ronaldo is actually a left winger.

Yeah, I don't think it goes back forever on transfermarkt, but certainly the last few years.

This year predictions, give or take a couple of goals/assists...

Ronaldo - 35 goals - 15 assists
Serie A 
Coppa Italia
Champions League top scorer

Messi - 40 goals - 20 assists
La Liga
Copa del Rey
La Liga top scorer

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Neymar never achieved the level i thought he would get to.

He did get to a level above CR7 and Messi though - in being a wankpuffin

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

He never showed he would be that good except Brazilian hype. Very good player when not a prick but thats it 

5 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I honestly thought at one stage a few years back this discussion might have turned to Neymar and Bale by now.

Messi and Ronaldo have a real desire to succeed. 

Neymar and Bale would punch a child in the face if they could earn 50p from it. 

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Messi and Ronaldo have a real desire to succeed. 

Neymar and Bale would punch a child in the face if they could earn 50p from it. 

Bale wouldn't make the effort to punch a child. Too busy golfing and worrying about missing his bed time. Zidane gets way too much stick over his treatment of Bale. It's fairly clear that Bale is a massive clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

He never showed he would be that good except Brazilian hype. Very good player when not a prick but thats it 

Disagree. Pulled off some moves in the Brazilian Serie A that were like a hybrid of Messi, Maradonna and Ronaldo.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Agreed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Four for Portugal tonight added to one at the weekend, Ronaldo moves on to 93(!) international goals.  Portugal have still got Lithuania at home and two games against Luxembourg to come in these qualifiers, so I think it's almost inevitable that Ronaldo gets his hundredth international goal this season.  

• Like 1

Â