Said Benrahma

MaVilla

I think any winger we buy at the moment got to be 'straight into the team material', and I just can't see this being that. Konsa was alright as we needed depth, but with El Ghazi and Trez being unreliable, we got depth. We need quality and I hope and expect that we look for better quality than Brentford. 

But ultimately I hope Deano gets the players he wants. If that's Said, so be it. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident that if he came here he would become our best winger and would make the grade. I'd be happy to sign him from what I've seen of him.

He's 24, very sound technically, more so than any of our current wingers. That Brentford fan who drops in here on occasion rated him as better than Maupay.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this guy's career kicks onward and upwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'm pretty confident that if he came here he would become our best winger and would make the grade. I'd be happy to sign him from what I've seen of him.

He's 24, very sound technically, more so than any of our current wingers. That Brentford fan who drops in here on occasion rated him as better than Maupay.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this guy's career kicks onward and upwards.

Tend to agree I think he looks ready to make the step up, perfect age and DS knows what he's all about. I'll trust the managers judgement on this one.

Question for those who are desperate to sign him:

1. Would you still start Grealish on a left in a free role?
  2. Do you think he would be as effective on the right in a system based on wide players cutting in?
  3. If yes to 1 and no to 2, do you think we're in a position to spend ~£20m on a backup player and which of El Ghazi/Trez would you sell?

If no to question 1, I think he'd be a very good option for that position.

I like the guy and think he has a lot of talent, but if Jack remains in the role he's played for the last few games I think we'd be much better off going balls to the wall and making a really ambitious bid for a left footer. The dream would be someone like Odegaard, but that's not gonig to happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think any winger we buy at the moment got to be 'straight into the team material', and I just can't see this being that. Konsa was alright as we needed depth, but with El Ghazi and Trez being unreliable, we got depth. We need quality and I hope and expect that we look for better quality than Brentford. 

But ultimately I hope Deano gets the players he wants. If that's Said, so be it. 

I liked this post before getting to the second line...then had to figure out how to withdraw it!

This guy is Championship player in title only. I'm certain he'll be straight into the team and be a success. Hope we buy him.

If we spend £10-20m elsewhere on a winger he'll have to be a real wonder. 

If we've only got one buy, I think a striker is more important, but being greedy give me two please Jesus.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Question for those who are desperate to sign him:

1. Would you still start Grealish on a left in a free role?
  2. Do you think he would be as effective on the right in a system based on wide players cutting in?
  3. If yes to 1 and no to 2, do you think we're in a position to spend ~£20m on a backup player and which of El Ghazi/Trez would you sell?

If no to question 1, I think he'd be a very good option for that position.

I like the guy and think he has a lot of talent, but if Jack remains in the role he's played for the last few games I think we'd be much better off going balls to the wall and making a really ambitious bid for a left footer. The dream would be someone like Odegaard, but that's not gonig to happen.

Grealish is our best player. He's our best winger and it's touch and go whether he's our best out and out CM alongside McGinn, he probably is.

Grealish going back into CM is fine, it's a step up from any other player we can play next to McGinn.

Benrahma, El Ghazi and Trez can all play both sides.

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Grealish is our best player. He's our best winger and it's touch and go whether he's our best out and out CM alongside McGinn, he probably is.

Grealish going back into CM is fine, it's a step up from any other player we can play next to McGinn.

Benrahma, El Ghazi and Trez can all play both sides.

Agree with all of this, but I still think we'd be better off bidding for a left footer as while they all 'can play' there from what I'd see I'd suggest they're all better on the left. Obviously this only stands up if there is actually a decent left footer available and gettable.

I wouldn't move Grealish out of his current wide left (drifting inwards) position for Benrahma or pretty much anyone else.

That said an attacker/attacking mid with a pit of pace, vision and skill on the ball who can play all across the front line would be welcome.

Not seen enough from Benrahma to make a call, he seem very highly rated on here.

Brahim Diaz would probably cost about the same and would also be an interesting choice, might be harder to attract thou.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Looks a lot better than trezeguet tbh

Unsurprising considering he:

• Would have cost 2/3 times as much,
  • is playing at a lower level,
  • and Trez is still adapting and hasn't had a sustained run in the team.

I'm also not sure 1 goal and 2 assists in 700 championship minutes is that much better than 1 assist in 400 PL minutes.

I met my first Brentford fan in the wild a month or so back and he reckoned Benrahma could be found very wanting in terms of defensive effort. I accept that El Ghazi is a great example of how this can be worked on and improved, but Trez at the moment does have the benefit of absolutely working his bollocks off when on the pitch.

I'm not quite sure why Benrahma is rated so highly on here (although clearly good)...but I thought the same when we were signing Trez and everyone seemed convinced he was definitely way better than El Ghazi.

As mentioned by @sne above, someone like Brahim Diaz would be a very interesting option. Admittedly I've never seen him play, but I like that he is two-footed and by all accounts is incredibly highly rated.

Basically I like Benrahma, but not sure he would give us the best balance in terms work rate and adding to our legions of right-footed wingers. That said, I definitely rate him enough that if the club went ahead and signed him I'd trust DS et al thought they could improve him massively.

p.s. Other Football?

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If it’s me your talking about 😃Yes he’s by far the most exciting player I’ve seen in my many years of following Brentford and wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t throw his toys out the pram in January and try and force a move away.He was injured and missed the end of last season and has only just got back to full match fitness and has been superb in the last 2 games.

2 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

If it’s me your talking about 😃Yes he’s by far the most exciting player I’ve seen in my many years of following Brentford and wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t throw his toys out the pram in January and try and force a move away.He was injured and missed the end of last season and has only just got back to full match fitness and has been superb in the last 2 games.

In which case, my points about his output this season can be completely ignored!

Interested to hear what you think of him defensively? It's always difficult to know how balanced/accurate a view is when you have no comparison.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

In which case, my points about his output this season can be completely ignored!

Interested to hear what you think of him defensively? It's always difficult to know how balanced/accurate a view is when you have no comparison.

Most of his work is done offensively obviously as he’s a very special player on the ball he does put a shift in to help his full back.Very temperamental like most of these genius players like Saturday trying to take the ball off Watkins ( our designated taker)for a penalty and threw a strop when shoved away.I believe he’s premier league standard something I never thought Jota was during his best period with us.Pretty sure Dean will come back for him in January.

On 08/08/2019 at 15:46, privateer said:

Personally I'm a little annoyed at our feeder club getting ideas above their station.

It's like when the sous chef at a Michelin starred restaurant strikes out on his own thinking he's ready to swim in the wide, deep ocean.

Some keep their head above water in the chop,

Most sink without a trace,

Brentford, you should know your place,

Because I think you're for the drop.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Most of his work is done offensively obviously as he’s a very special player on the ball he does put a shift in to help his full back.Very temperamental like most of these genius players like Saturday trying to take the ball off Watkins ( our designated taker)for a penalty and threw a strop when shoved away.I believe he’s premier league standard something I never thought Jota was during his best period with us.Pretty sure Dean will come back for him in January.

I assume you are quoting my little razzing poetry because you are now signalling your agreement with my assessment and are going to bow down to the inevitable? :lol:

You can have Elmo Elmohamady, Neil Taylor and a choice of Anwar El Ghazi or Orjan Nyland (free tip, go for Ghazi) plus £10m, 5% of any sell on profit and a pre-season friendly. :thumb::trollface:

38 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Jarrod Bowen is on a free apparently this summer. 

If we were taking a punt, I'd sooner it would be on someone like him. 

I don't think Benrahma is 'taking a punt'.

For me he's more likely to go on to achieve similar success like Ash Young after his move from Watford.

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't think Benrahma is 'taking a punt'.

For me he's more likely to go on to achieve similar success like Ash Young after his move from Watford.

I do. He reminds me of a footballer that is good at 5-a-side technical stuff and leaves people amazed, but ultimately not as good at football as what you need at top level. 

And for the prices Brentford quote for championship players, it's risky business. 

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I do. He reminds me of a footballer that is good at 5-a-side technical stuff and leaves people amazed, but ultimately not as good at football as what you need at top level. 

And for the prices Brentford quote for championship players, it's risky business. 

I've only ever been a 5-a-side futsal player at a decent standard, so maybe that's why I've made that judgement.

Still, I don't think my appreciation and understanding of the game is lacking because I am just a spectator of eleven a side.

I think Benrahma's technical ability and technique is top class. I guess we'll see.

56 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Callum Wilson, John McGinn, Fikayo Tomori, Tyrone Mings, Mason Mount, Daniel James, Neal Maupay, Adam Webster, Conor Hourihane, Teemu Pukki, Todd Cantwell, John Lundstorm and more, all have made it in the PL. Actually many of them are currently a PL fantasy material.

I think Said Benrahma and Jarrod Bowen will definitely success in the PL. Wether that was with us or someone else.

Â