Said Benrahma

MaVilla

After the Hogan saga, I think we was entitled to be cautious.....Think Brentford should have known this......at least they could have give us a discount, due to their mugging us off.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

I think people have lost sight of just how much £5m is.

£5m probably pays for VP's maintenance, match day staff budget, catering and utilities. 

This is the level of responsibility which is needed. 

If we go down this season, which is entirely possible given we have a lot of unknown quantity in the squad, then £5m is a lot of money in our pockets and not Brentfords.

Is Benrahma going to be the difference between staying up or going down?  I'm not sure, but someone with that decision to make has made the same one I would have. 

We can't keep handing Championship teams huge sums of money for their players, it's not sustainable, and £5m to Brentford is going to affect them much more positively than it is us (proportionally speaking). 

• Like 4

The only thing that matters is that the club did not think Benrahama was worth the money Brentford wanted. Now the future will tell whether Villa or Brentford got it right. Maybe he is sold for £ 50 million next summer. Maybe he has a bang average season and they will be lucky to get £ 12 million. Maybe he breaks his leg and becomes Dean Ashton mkII. 

Hopefully we can let this thread die now and never sign another Brentford player ever again. 

• Haha 1

El Ghazi and Trez were both under £10m

Benrahma was £25m (rumoured)

That is a huge difference. 

Lets see if our scouts can find the next Benrahma, rather than just buying them off other teams after 12 months. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TRO said:

After the Hogan saga, I think we was entitled to be cautious.....Think Brentford should have known this......at least they could have give us a discount, due to their mugging us off.

With every Hogan you get a voucher that entitles you to 25% off the next player you try to sign. And a free box of 90s confectionary fave 'Nerds'. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

On the other hand, if they show that they’re serious when making a bid and not just fooling around trying to drop the price and are willing to turn around, say no and move to alternatives then people will take notice. This seems to have happened with Butland -> Heaton, Phillips ->Nakamba and probably others. The only poor bit of business was Mings, imo but hopefully he stays healthy and prove them right.

It was difficult with Mings because of the impact he had we almost had to sign him regardless of price. 

Yes we've overpaid but he looks like he is a key personality in the team and fingers crossed he is over his injuries

15 minutes ago, John said:

Priced out of his "dream move" as were Maupay and Butland. Our club was quite reasonably, unwilling to be held to ransom by their selling clubs.  

I think Butland may have been a dodged Bullet from what I have heard from a few Stoke fans.

I think we have the right man,John.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Exactly - they’re building a reputation among club executives and if they show they can be pushed around, that they don’t have alternatives, etc. they’ll always find it hard to negotiate with anyone without being ripped off. A lot like Man U seem to be the last few years. 

On the other hand, if they show that they’re serious when making a bid and not just fooling around trying to drop the price and are willing to turn around, say no and move to alternatives then people will take notice. This seems to have happened with Butland -> Heaton, Phillips ->Nakamba and probably others. The only poor bit of business was Mings, imo but hopefully he stays healthy and prove them right.

I like how they appear to be doing their business, very much unlike how it was under Xia and Wyness. 

There's a parallel here that seems to resonate with the Country.....but I agree with your observations.

I think Brentford have been unusually hard on us ( not appearing to want to sell by, inflating prices)due to Dean being their ex manager.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The only thing that matters is that the club did not think Benrahama was worth the money Brentford wanted. Now the future will tell whether Villa or Brentford got it right. Maybe he is sold for £ 50 million next summer. Maybe he has a bang average season and they will be lucky to get £ 12 million. Maybe he breaks his leg and becomes Dean Ashton mkII. 

Hopefully we can let this thread die now and never sign another Brentford player ever again. 

I'm sure the Villa management are going to take a lot of notice of your recommendation 🤣 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The only thing that matters is that the club did not think Benrahama was worth the money Brentford wanted.

Neither did any other club for that matter, otherwise he would have been sold. 

6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'm sure the Villa management are going to take a lot of notice of your recommendation 🤣 

To be honest, its your right to keep your players. I can’t deny I’m gutted that we couldn’t get Benrahma. But I really admire what Brentford did and fair play to them keeping him. I will always keep liking this team. After all we’ve got DS from you guys. Hopefully you can go up. Wish you best luck. I also wish we get Benrahma in January or atleast he either come up with you pr go out of England. Some players you don’t want to feel the gut of not getting a certain player.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â