Said Benrahma

MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

sorry, i disagree.

we would "possibly" be offering an extra 5m (so 20m), for a player that if he performed could be worth 40, 50 or even 60, 70m after a good season or two.

Thats totally different to Manure paying 80m or 85m for someone like Maguire because Leicester knew they had money.

Overpaying stupidly is one thing, paying a little more in a set of circumstances or set scenario that could turn out to be a brilliant deal if it works out, are just not the same thing, at all.

Now, if we wanted to pay 25m for a striker who is 28, and we ended up paying 50m because "Villa Money", but there was little to no chance of it being a long term benefit to us, or resale, or it working, or whatever, thats a completely different scenario again.

So my point is, each scenario is different, and should be judged on merit, and in the Benrahma situation, if we wanted to pay 15m, and they wanted 20m, thats a deal at 20m that would highly likely be highly beneficial to us in the short to medium term.

but it still means / makes more likely that all subsequent transfers are given this treatment by any selling clubs, who all then go and get just another 5m here, 5m there. 

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

sorry, i disagree.

we would "possibly" be offering an extra 5m (so 20m), for a player that if he performed could be worth 40, 50 or even 60, 70m after a good season or two.

Thats totally different to Manure paying 80m or 85m for someone like Maguire because Leicester knew they had money.

Overpaying stupidly is one thing, paying a little more in a set of circumstances or set scenario that could turn out to be a brilliant deal if it works out, are just not the same thing, at all.

Now, if we wanted to pay 25m for a striker who is 28, and we ended up paying 50m because "Villa Money", but there was little to no chance of it being a long term benefit to us, or resale, or it working, or whatever, thats a completely different scenario again.

So my point is, each scenario is different, and should be judged on merit, and in the Benrahma situation, if we wanted to pay 15m, and they wanted 20m, thats a deal at 20m that would highly likely be highly beneficial to us in the short to medium term.

You are now talking hypotheticals just when it suits you. It's just as likely Behnrama would be worth less due to not holding the required level or having injury problems like he just had surgery for. 

McGuire could be the difference between CL or not for Man Utd. Ultimately all clubs decide what economic risk they are willing to take. Villa just came from looking administration in the face, spent £130 million this summer. It's obvious we need to develop a more sustainable approach to buying, developing and selling players. We wanna buy £2 for £1, and the league needs to know we're no pushovers in negotiations. I am sure our leadership has been impressed at Levy and Spurs for instance. 

Benrahma is likely considered a depth/rotation purchase on equal level with the three wingers we got. Thus they probably don't think he will make the difference to us staying up or not. If they did he'd already be signed. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

sorry, i disagree.

This 'contrast' isn't a contrast. You are assuming that Maguire will be a bad signing, and that Benrahma would have been a good one, but it could just as easily be the other way round. 

• Like 1

Now we're not signing him, might as well continue the tangent.

I actually think Maguire will be a great signing for Utd. Did anyone really think Van Dijk was that good when he played for Southampton? No way I thought he was a £75m player - they took a calculated risk on him stepping up playing with better players and being managed by Klopp and he did it admirably.

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This 'contrast' isn't a contrast. You are assuming that Maguire will be a bad signing, and that Benrahma would have been a good one, but it could just as easily be the other way round. 

im not assuming anything, i was just giving examples.

i dont really care if everyone thinks we should have only paid 15m for Benrahma and not 20m, in the end we didnt, so you guys will be happy.

Personally, i would have paid 20m, because i personally think he's worth it, thats it really, its just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If he was worth 25 mill now he must be worth 50 mill in January if we are desperate and come knocking again.

But he wasn't worth £25 million, which is why he still plays football at Brentford. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

sorry, i disagree.

Those little bits add up. If clubs know they can just wang an extra £5m on top of a players valuation and we will pay it, they will wang an extra £5m on EVERY player we go in for. 

It's got nothing to do with the player. They wanted more than our valuation, which is entirely their prerogative also, and we said no, simple as that. It doesn't matter what you think he is worth. 

Just to clarify - if I think Benraham is worth £25m then sure, let's go for it. Which I do. 

If the club don't, and word gets out that we paid it anyway, then that's an entirely different matter. They have to stick to their guns, for the sake of future progression.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

Bit disappointed he isn't ours but £25m is a lot compared to what we paid for El Ghazi and Trez, who have a better history (to date)

• Like 1

This lad could turn out to be a great player or totally forgotten by January. These moments in a player’s career can be fleeting and if not taken may never return.

For me the telling thing is that I don’t recall anyone else seriously after him. We were purely bidding against Brentford’s valuation, only they believed he was worth £25m or whatever, otherwise he would have been sold. 

Â