Said Benrahma

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I love the fact that we have probably stuck to our guns and not lowered the asking price, I love it, at least you and I are happy about it all. 

Ahh, but you can't be 'happy about it all', if all includes potentially still having an 'unpopular player who looks like he's chewing a wasp', to use your words. 

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I love the fact that we have probably stuck to our guns and not lowered the asking price, I love it, at least you and I are happy about it all. 

We would be much happier if we had overpaid and we had him in a villa shirt , some will just try and brush it off and act like they don't care but in truth they are lying to us and themselves 

• Like 1

People do the exact same thing when we sign players or even just linked to players. They tend to talk them up and overrate them, so it goes both ways. Benrahma would have been a good signing, but having already singed three winger this transfer window it's not the end of the world that he isn't coming, we don't even know how much the club wanted him, no realiable journalists have reported our interest in a while now.

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Ahh, but you can't be 'happy about it all', if all includes potentially still having an 'unpopular player who looks like he's chewing a wasp', to use your words. 

Not my words, I haven't seen Benrahma at all today, so I have no idea what he's looking like.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pete101 said:

We would be much happier if we had overpaid and we had him in a villa shirt , some will just try and brush it off and act like they don't care but in truth they are lying to us and themselves 

I don't know much about this guy to be honest but here's a question.

If this guy is soooo good - why are we the only team to have been in for him?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can only go on what I have seen and for me looks like a great player 

As for why haven't any other teams been in for him , just give me a few mins and I'll ring around and ask 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I was coming on here to say the exact same thing. I think Brentford (and YT vid makers) have jumped on the 'he's the next Mahrez' train a little too quickly. 

He looks good, from what little I know, but maybe the valuation was too rich for everyone's blood? Maybe Brentford thought they could hold Dean to ransom because he liked the guy? Unlike Maupay, nobody else came in to play the bidding game = he stayed.

Anyway, good luck to him. I look forward to our band of misfits going to Old Trafford etc while he travels to Kenilworth Road.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If you were to believe recent press reports, several teams have "enquired" about him but have been knocked back by the price they offered.

4 minutes ago, jonjon said:

If you were to believe recent press reports, several teams have "enquired" about him but have been knocked back by the price they offered.

Its looking like the same case here!

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

History is littered with transfers where only one team was seemingly in for a player and the transfer was later deemed a success, the amount of teams interested in no way guarantees quality and nor does a lack of interest prove a lack of quality.

Dean Smith knows exactly how good he is or isn't, and was clearly interested, but they've asked too much and we've refused to pay it. It doesn't mean he's not a good player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I can only go on what I have seen and for me looks like a great player 

As for why haven't any other teams been in for him , just give me a few mins and I'll ring around and ask 

You've had 17 minutes, anything interesting to report back on?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Okay but I thought he would be a £40M player next season?

Maybe he is shit hot, maybe he is the next Mahrez..............maybe he's the next Hogan.

For players we really wanted we made it happen, Mings for example......leads me to believe this guy was a 'nice to have' rather than a necessity.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'm disappointed not to get him but happy for the Brentford fans, I think you'll get one of the automatics.

I don't blame the club asking big money, there is bigger money at stake.

11 minutes ago, Morkery said:

I'm disappointed not to get him but happy for the Brentford fans, I think you'll get one of the automatics.

I can't see them getting automatics. They need to surely have a summer of not selling any of their best assets.

This summer they've lost their striker and probably their most promising young defender. Yes, they'll have brought in 'the next Maupay' or whoever, but those players won't be overnight Maupays, they'll need time to learn how the manager magically arranges the cones to learn the Brentford way.

12 minutes ago, Morkery said:

Personally I'm a little annoyed at our feeder club getting ideas above their station.

It's like when the sous chef at a Michelin starred restaurant strikes out on his own thinking he's ready to swim in the wide, deep ocean.

Some keep their head above water in the chop,

Most sink without a trace,

Brentford, you should know your place,

Because I think you're for the drop.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

So, not actually worth it then?

I don't know anything about him at all I must admit, one thing I can say is that it is extremely unlikely Brentford will ever get promoted selling their best players. Do they have aspirations for promotion or is just a financial business?

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

Well I wouldn't. I simply don't think he's all that. Better off we stick to our guns and set a presedence for next window. It's a recently injured Brentford player and you are acting like it's Ronaldo. Keep the money and spend it next summer. 

Â