Said Benrahma

MaVilla

Young had the materials but I think John Robertson really turned him into a player.

Remember how much he struggled on the right when he first came. The move to the left and introduction of the triple cut back changed his game. 

For about 18 months he was the best winger in the league. Utd came in for him and he was beginning to slide I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

This thread is priceless, a few unproven wingers are better than Ashley Young was or us

Young was banging abut 10/15 assists a season plus a good few goals

People seem to forget quickly. You can't blame them after what happened all these years. Now we're breathing fresh air so it's something different.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I can't find any other source than Bruce Archer and his Express article. Bit concerned about this

I think we're going to get him. But I think he's our last move this summer (maybe a striker on loan if they could convince owners).

I think wingers like Ashley Young when played for us can still be effective, just not for top clubs.

Top clubs these days seem to use inside forwards instead of traditional wingers.

Edited by villalad21

Young was the best winger in the league for 18 months.

I agree he was on the slide before he moved to United but this was more down to our gradual decline under MON and the fact teams were literally double and triple banking him as we had so little threat in other areas. So hardly his fault

38 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Is this guess work?

I would suggest so.

I can't imagine we'd have let Maupay go to Brighton without a fight, unless we had another striker target that we're confident of getting. Especially when you consider that Maupay would have likely wanted to be reunited with Smith.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

Young is probably our best ever PL player apart from Yorke 

Milner. Barry And the obviously best, God. But yes, definitely one of our best players in the last 25-30 years. I too find it very hard to believe that any of our new wingers is better than he was. I know El Ghazi isn't, but I like him anyway. I'll be happy if one of them reaches his level.

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Young had the materials but I think John Robertson really turned him into a player.

Remember how much he struggled on the right when he first came. The move to the left and introduction of the triple cut back changed his game. 

For about 18 months he was the best winger in the league. Utd came in for him and he was beginning to slide I think.

The last season before he left he'd started playing centrally behind the striker under Houllier and was pretty poor. I seem to remember he was a striker when we signed him? 

2 hours ago, Pelle said:

Milner. Barry And the obviously best, God. But yes, definitely one of our best players in the last 25-30 years. I too find it very hard to believe that any of our new wingers is better than he was. I know El Ghazi isn't, but I like him anyway. I'll be happy if one of them reaches his level.

I agree.  Id sign the above 3 over Young if given the chance all over again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

See pages added to Benrahma thread, get excited.

Open thread, see tons of posts about Ashley young and Dwight yorke.

Leave disappointed.

Smae mate, smae

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I second the above posts. Ashley Young was superb for Aston Villa. One of the best signings in our history I would add. 

He was good but........he was at the club when we had a great squad. I would place Barry  Milner and  Laursen ahead of him just from that squad   Benteke came later but was more important to us than Young ever was IMO, he kept us up at least one season. 

I could go on but one of the best in our History just doesn't add up for me .

Anyhow we need another striker and if Smith thinks Benrahma is a worthwhile addition then I'm all for it .

44 minutes ago, tinker said:

He was good but........he was at the club when we had a great squad. I would place Barry  Milner and  Laursen ahead of him just from that squad   Benteke came later but was more important to us than Young ever was IMO, he kept us up at least one season. 

I could go on but one of the best in our History just doesn't add up for me .

Anyhow we need another striker and if Smith thinks Benrahma is a worthwhile addition then I'm all for it .

I definitely said "one of" fwiw

Â