Greatest Athlete Of All Time

Zatman

1 hour ago, BOF said:

People bringing their 1 sport athlete to a 'greatest athlete' thread.  That's cute.  But seriously, if you don't know Jim Thorpe, do yourself one favour today and look him up.  You're in the Jim Thorpe thread.  You just don't know it yet.

Is it more cute than thinking the all-time greatest athlete would've existed 100 years ago?

I'm even sceptical of the Michael Jordan mentions. 

Be interesting to see how many Olympic athletes World Records were set in the last 20 years.

On 13/07/2019 at 08:56, Zatman said:

I think has been mentioned in another thread but maybe an open discussion about it. Think its hard to look past Roger Federer he is such an immense athlete and still going at 37. For example he is 8 months older than John Terry and Tennis is a more physically demanding sport than Football. Just incredible

Other names to be included could be Gretzky, Serena Williams and if they keep it up consistently for another 6 or 7 years Ronaldo and Messi

Some might argue Federer isn’t even the greatest tennis player of his generation,

Athlete Mo Farah. 

On 13/07/2019 at 17:56, Zatman said:

Think its hard to look past Roger Federer he is such an immense athlete and still going at 37. For example he is 8 months older than John Terry and Tennis is a more physically demanding sport than Football.

Is Tennis really more physically demanding than football? I know it's high intensity and really tough on the body, but the fact that you're not getting clattered by another player every few minutes must be a real plus for fitness and longevity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Is Tennis really more physically demanding than football? I know it's high intensity and really tough on the body, but the fact that you're not getting clattered by another player every few minutes must be a real plus for fitness and longevity.

was waiting for someone to try an define athleticism 

because at some point I was also expecting someone to suggest a formula one driver puts their body through more than any of these others, maybe boxing too, then trying to say who the best ever racer and boxer is is a nice easy conversation...

• Like 1

He's certainly athletic, but it's very silly to even consider him in the conversation for the greatest athlete ever when he's never competed for anything meaningful. 

He works out a lot and is a great advertisement for vitamin S, but is he the best at anything he does? Nah. He's not the best at any lift, he's not set any records. 

• 2 weeks later...

I read a book a few years back called The Agony of Victory. Graeme Obree featured in it.

Forget the Lance Armstrong story, cycling and cyclists should remember Obree.

He would push through pain barriers so severe that he would bleed from the mouth apparently. Doctors couldn't understand.

He also broke some world records using a homemade  bike made from scrap metal and washing machine bearings..

• Like 1

I know nothing about MLB and care a little less than nothing about it. That said was watching a feature on YouTube about Jackie Robinson, the first black player in MLB and what he had to endure from spectators, rivals and even his own players. It was riveting. So today I will go with Jackie Robinson. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I know nothing about MLB and care a little less than nothing about it. That said was watching a feature on YouTube about Jackie Robinson, the first black player in MLB and what he had to endure from spectators, rivals and even his own players. It was riveting. So today I will go with Jackie Robinson. 

Care factor for baseball is similar to watching golf or cricket, it's just never been my thing. But I love a story where someone defies the odds and makes their mark. 

On 14/07/2019 at 04:12, Keyblade said:

LeBron James. Looks like he's going to be the greatest player on the planet until he's 40.

I'm going with this as well. 

I don't think there has ever been an athlete with more pressure on them as a teenager, more scrutinised in everything they do and have more people wanting them to fail from such an early age. And on an individual basis he has been spectacular. 

Winning Cleveland's first ever sporting championship in the way he did it cements him for me. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm going with this as well. 

I don't think there has ever been an athlete with more pressure on them as a teenager, more scrutinised in everything they do and have more people wanting them to fail from such an early age. And on an individual basis he has been spectacular. 

Winning Cleveland's first ever sporting championship in the way he did it cements him for me. 

I'm not sure he's even the best small forward to play the game.

Kyrie Irving matched LeBron in points scored and clutch plays in that Cleveland win, they were both incredible!

I am a LeBron fan, although I've been critical of him as a basketball player, as a person I think he's ace.

What you've highlighted about the pressure that he's had to endure is something that must be commended. Shows the person he is.

But nearly everyone that experiences greatness in their life, whether it's success, disappointment, trauma, happiness, they all have a story to tell.

James is one of the finest athletic physical specimens to walk this earth, from an early age guaranteed phenomenal wealth and opportunity if he put in the work.

James was a made man from those teenage years, despite what any fan or hater thinks of him, he knew early on he was an NBA player.

Jordan didn't make the cut for his high school basketball team.

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'm not sure he's even the best small forward to play the game.

Kyrie Irving matched LeBron in points scored and clutch plays in that Cleveland win, they were both incredible!

I am a LeBron fan, although I've been critical of him as a basketball player, as a person I think he's ace.

What you've highlighted about the pressure that he's had to endure is something that must be commended. Shows the person he is.

But nearly everyone that experiences greatness in their life, whether it's success, disappointment, trauma, happiness, they all have a story to tell.

James is one of the finest athletic physical specimens to walk this earth, from an early age guaranteed phenomenal wealth and opportunity if he put in the work.

James was a made man from those teenage years, despite what any fan or hater thinks of him, he knew early on he was an NBA player.

Jordan didn't make the cut for his high school basketball team.

In that series, 3-1 down, against the team with the record for most wins, he led both teams in points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks. 

I don't think any other basketball player in history could have done that, against that team and in that scenario.

For me, that cemented him as the greatest. 

When he retires, his stats are going to be ridiculous. No one else will come close. 

Â