Greatest Athlete Of All Time

Zatman

Like most people that have been in sports their entire life I have pretty strong opinions on this. Personally I've played and actively kept myself in shape by doing tennis, bicycling, football, ice hockey, table tennis, weight lifting, skiing and what not. I honestly think the athletes that I get the most impressed by, and those who really deserve to be called extreme athletes, are people who participate in swimming and gymnastics. Probably a bit controversial on here, but there you go. I'd probably argue boxing and rowing is up there as well, but hey ho, can't mention them all. 

On the basis that Pheidippides exploits have been somewhat embellished, I’d have to go with Roger Bannister ... did what no other man could do and was a  real trailblazer 

13 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Sylvester Stallone. Only man to be heavy weight boxing champ, and save a penalty against the Germans in an international football match. 

Also a champion arm wrestler. 

• Like 2

On 14/07/2019 at 11:46, jackbauer24 said:

Easy. Jan-Michael Vincent. Won every Track and Field event going then flew his amazing helicopter home... Even had a film made about him...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqyDJJ4n2o

Shame drugs ruined his promising athletic career...

Probably bad that the only reason I've heard of him is through Rick & Morty.

If Federer is notable for doing it at the age he's at, then step forward..

Michael Jordan averaged 20ppg at the age of 40. That's more than the majority do in their prime.

You don't even know how good this guy was. A university lecturer of mine said that MJ was underrated, and I agree.

What he did for Chicago has created the greatest dynasty known to basketball. Possibly to all ball or team sport.

He defied and conquered so many ensembles who were bound for the NBA title, a legacy of greatness and a dynasty of their own, only to fall short as Jordan rose above and beyond.

Simply the greatest athlete of all time in my view. He was art.

To compare him with LeBron James, or any other basketballer, is like comparing say Andre Agassi to Federer. Both greats. One is just at another level of greatness.

I think in terms of difficulty of achievement and influence on any given match, Jordan is better than both Messi and Ronaldo.

6 Finals MVP's and 5 NBA MVP's for Jordan is the equivalent of 5 ballon d'or successes for Messi.

Jordan took what started with a poor Bulls side and won six NBA championships, Messi won four Champions Leagues victories with a club who have a monopoly on the game.

Not to mention NBA seasons are 82 games long for the regular season.

I could go on but I won't

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve Redgrave has to have a mention. Won gold medals at five consecutive Olympics so best in the world for 20 years which is incredible longevity. Also won three Commonwealth games golds and nine world rowing championship golds. 

• Like 1

Wayne Gretzky has to be up there.

Granted there was this no hit agreement around him in the NHL and without it he'd been turned into pulp.

But on the other hand I don't think he was on steroids unlike pretty much all other big athletes in the 70's, 80's and 90's

2 hours ago, sne said:

Granted there was this no hit agreement around him in the NHL and without it he'd been turned into pulp

I dont agree with that. He was just bloody hard to hit. Trottier (who could handle himself with ease) said. "It was like hugging fog".

Sure, cheap-shot him was always an option if the thought of Semenko ripping your head off while Mcsorley whacked you in the nuts was to your liking. Same goes for Yzerman and Probert, Bossy and Gillies and so on.

37 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I dont agree with that. He was just bloody hard to hit. Trottier (who could handle himself with ease) said. "It was like hugging fog".

Sure, cheap-shot him was always an option if the thought of Semenko ripping your head off while Mcsorley whacked you in the nuts was to your liking. Same goes for Yzerman and Probert, Bossy and Gillies and so on.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2019 at 15:37, villa4europe said:

And what adam Peaty is doing is pretty incredible, to not only be that fast but to keep breaking in his own record in the manner that he is (he had all top 10 quickest times ever recorded at one point)

broken his record again

he's now the only man is history to go under 57 seconds...and 58 seconds

People bringing their 1 sport athlete to a 'greatest athlete' thread.  That's cute.  But seriously, if you don't know Jim Thorpe, do yourself one favour today and look him up.  You're in the Jim Thorpe thread.  You just don't know it yet.

• Like 1

Â