Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Can’t find to to quote and give credit but as someone else said he’s younger than Callum O’Hare... just seems bizarre to me! 

Some develop earlier than others. Look at Kane and look at Rooney.

Not given up on O'Hare yet.

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Oh no, I meant it as a compliment to Luiz rather than a put down on O’Hare. His maturity in a footballing sense is way beyond his years, I think we have a good ‘un in Doug

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 01:04, avfc1982am said:

I think something about this lad needs a mention. In the first game v Spurs one of the commentators remarked at how far apart our CB's were when playing out. What has been even more noticeable since that Spurs game has been the role that Luiz plays in slipping into the back line to allow the CB's to split wider which then allows forward movement of the FB's. This then opens spaces further up the pitch for the wide players to find and Wes. Luiz coming in has been integral as to how Smith wants us to play. I'm sure he will continue to improve and although many other players will take the credit for tonights win he was very instrumental in helping us get it.  

This was definitely noticed by me because I sat there reminiscing on how it looked so similar to the time when Makalele used to drop in between the Chelski centre backs to allow that team's full backs (Ashley Cole in his hey day was one of them) to bomb forward. 

Dougie is destined for that role and I think that he will become one of the best in the world at it once he's played there enough times. 

By the way, isn't it funny how we wait for over 100 years to sign a Brazilian and then two turn up at the same time - with English-sounding names of Wes and Doug. Why couldn't they be Luizinho Douglas and Morainho Wesley? Nope, we got Doug and Wes and they're going to be bloody great, 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Oh no, I meant it as a compliment to Luiz rather than a put down on O’Hare. His maturity in a footballing sense is way beyond his years, I think we have a good ‘un in Doug

It was an interesting game for him yesterday. Didn't get much involved and i didn't notice him as much.

But i think that's a sign he is doing his job well. The things he is doing off the ball is not easy to notice for you're average football fan like myself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It was an interesting game for him yesterday. Didn't get much involved and i didn't notice him as much.

But i think that's a sign he is doing his job well. The things he is doing off the ball is not easy to notice for you're average football fan like myself.

That's where his maturity comes in. He knows when he has to do the work behind the scenes and won't force things on the ball whereas a more immature player might have got frustrated. Crazy that he's only 21.

45 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I haven't seen to much of his technique, but must say he is woefully slow. The lack of pace prevents him being in the right place to nullify attacking threats. 

well, the last DM we had that i would class as remotely speedy was what......2015/16?

May not be fast, but he's fairly strong for his size, would like to see some of his skills/ability though in the coming weeks. (passes etc)

9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I haven't seen to much of his technique, but must say he is woefully slow. The lack of pace prevents him being in the right place to nullify attacking threats. 

Man City just spent £63m on Rodri... he’s not quick, in fact he’s quite leisurely in terms of pace. Think he’s quite good despite the apparent lack of pace. 

I think explosiveness and physical attributes is more a key component in being a traditional DMC or anchor. If you're a DLP it's more a case of reading the game and positioning along with vision and passing IMO. I played a similar role myself, so that's just my take on it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think explosiveness and physical attributes is more a key component in being a traditional DMC or anchor. If you're a DLP it's more a case of reading the game and positioning along with vision and passing IMO. I played a similar role myself, so that's just my take on it. 

I guess one is a position the other is a role. You can be a defensive midfielder and play the DLP role, or you can be a defensive midfielder that plays the holding role.

Both operate in the same area of the pitch, however one is tasked with protecting the back four, and will generally hold that space to enable attacking players license up front.

The other, the DLP, is tasked with making crucial passing decisions which determine the initial tempo of an attack and if the ball will be played square, wide or direct.

I agree with what you've said about the qualities and traits wanted in a player given their role. However it's hard to pigeonhole because often each player will be slightly unique.

Intensity, work rate and ability to anticipate and thwart opposition attacks with tackles and intercepts are key when the role of a DM is to provide protection for the back four.

Passing range, reading of the game, positional awareness, vision and an advanced technical ability are ideal traits for the DLP role.

But again pigeonholing it all doesn't really account for the different tactics and formations employed from one manager to the next, as well as the varying skill-sets of players.

16 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes, although they're on a spectrum from out-and-out destroyers like Makelele to a combination of the two like Busquets to the classic DLP like Xabi Alonso or Pirlo. You can never have too much athleticism in football, but it's not the be all and end all.

I did get the impression at times against Everton that John McGinn was doing some of Jota and Douglas Luiz's defensive work. That's fine because it worked, but would be interesting to see how exposed we'd be if McGinn got injured. That may be where Nakamba proves his value.

In fairness, it's not always the deepest midfielder who does the most tackling. We could be doing something similar to Sarri's Jorginho / Kante setup at Chelsea, with the tackler slightly more advanced in the box-to-box role, and the deep midfielder being more of a pass merchant. Perhaps Nakamba is cover for the box-to-box role?

Edited by KentVillan

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In fairness, it's not always the deepest midfielder who does the most tackling. We could be doing something similar to Sarri's Jorginho / Kante setup at Chelsea, with the tackler slightly more advanced in the box-to-box role, and the deep midfielder being more of a pass merchant. Perhaps Nakamba is cover for the box-to-box role?

I've always thought Nakamba was a multipurpose buy, in the sense that we needed another anchor and we needed someone to cover McGinn. But pass merchant is a good word. I think that's essentially what Luiz is and unfortunately that's always what Grealish contributes with. Only difference is that Grealish is doing it in a slightly more free and advanced role, but it's essentially what you're getting from any DLP. 

I'm quite keen to see Nakamba though. I am hoping he has the intensity and fight that's needed in an anchor role. Wonder if he'll play today. 

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:03, villalad21 said:

Our very own Ian Taylor developed late too.  It can happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yes, although they're on a spectrum from out-and-out destroyers like Makelele to a combination of the two like Busquets to the classic DLP like Xabi Alonso or Pirlo. You can never have too much athleticism in football, but it's not the be all and end all.

I did get the impression at times against Everton that John McGinn was doing some of Jota and Douglas Luiz's defensive work. That's fine because it worked, but would be interesting to see how exposed we'd be if McGinn got injured. That may be where Nakamba proves his value.

I remember us doing that by putting Sylla behind the attackers under Lambert. That turned out to be really good.

• Like 1

I just wanted to pop by to say I really like him. He's raw, but he understands the role tactically. I expect we are barely scratching the surface yet, seems like one who will grow in confidence and results as he further tunes in with his team mates.

Â