Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Right. If he's going to start at Tottenham, and this goes for Marvelous as well, you would think he has to be around to play some part in Leipzig.

Is this still on and all OK? WP the only issue that could stop it, but is he 100% to get one?

Hourihane starts first match if neither is in the squad in Germany. I'd throw them in by the way! I just don't think Smith would.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

He is not playing saturday. 

I think hourihane starts against Spurs. By the time Luiz and Nakamba are in training it will be too close. 

How do we know he isn't playing Saturday?

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I did and I can’t work it out.  That’s why I asked.

Both Maxi and the other lad that's in the training vids are both Vasco de Gama players, one of Rio's teams. Considering Vasco are still playing their league games. it's unlikely they'll let their players come over to the UK to train with a player who's just join another club.  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of people are underestimating Dean Smith's opinion of Hourihane.

Remember he stuck by him through a torrid run of games last season, and also gambled on him starting the play-off final, after leaving him out against West Brom?

Hourihane will get given a chance in the first couple of games, and then how soon we see Luiz, Nakamba, etc. will probably depend on how he copes.

I'm not saying I'm particularly confident in Hourihane as a lone DM, but just have a feeling Smith will want to show some faith in him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Remember he stuck by him through a torrid run of games last season, and also gambled on him starting the play-off final, after leaving him out against West Brom?

Hourihane will get given a chance in the first couple of games, and then how soon we see Luiz, Nakamba, etc. will probably depend on how he copes.

I'm not saying I'm particularly confident in Hourihane as a lone DM, but just have a feeling Smith will want to show some faith in him.

Grealish & McGinn were the two most fouled players in the Championship last season.  Hourihane's free kicks make fouling our players around the opposition's box a terrible idea, especially with all the 6'+ players we've signed all over the pitch this summer.  Personally, I think his dead ball prowess more than makes up for his lack of out and out defensive contribution.  

Hourihane in the DM role would petrify me. On numerous occasions he has been responsible for not closing down an imminent threat, and consequently we concede.

Great contribution from midfield, don't get me wrong, involved in some great build up play, scored more than his fair share of goals in the championship.

But defensively I don't think he's very accountable or aware. It's almost trademark for him to allow an opponent time and space at the top of the box to finish.

Who knows maybe he takes it on and shines, but I'm hoping we've signed DL for that role.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I like Hourihane really I do...

I'd be worried if he is DM in our opening fixture; who is he up against potentially from the Spurs team?

If I was Poch I would sick Sissoko on him. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Disagree. 

He is buying 2 dm players for a reason. Once they are up to speed i expect hourihane to become the alternative/back up to mcginn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were the dominant team in the league for a while and it wasnt because we had Hourihane as DM. He is a bad DM who lets players past too easily bar ONE tackle ONCE in the playoff final. We will get destroyed against Spurs if he is DM. Surely it's going to be Marvelous playing there.

• Like 1

I wonder if he's just been given extra time to rest, wasn't he involved in Brazil's mini under 23 tournament not long ago? Maybe like Kodjia he's just been given an extended holiday.  Hoping the visa has already been issued.

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Disagree. 

He is buying 2 dm players for a reason. Once they are up to speed i expect hourihane to become the alternative/back up to mcginn.

We don't disagree. I know that's the long-term plan. But short term Hourihane will be in contention for DM.

Â