Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Welcome Doug. Could be a key player for us. I haven't followed all the inns and outs of this but isn't this just a glorified loan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Grealish will be used on the wing occasionally this season.

Against better opposition in away games I can see it being a midfield three of Nakamba, Douglas and McGinn.

Grealish and El Ghazi would interchange on both sides of the pitch. 

 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some of the comments on Fantasy Football Scout after I posted the Villa XI is looking amazing: 

"You do realize the Prem causes high flying teams to be grounded, yes? The amount of goals these promoted teams score is cut by a third off the top, then gets worse from there."

"I think villa will struggle and do well to not to get relegated....
All those players are going to get a real shock when they start playing in the BPL."

"No, like Fulham last season. You've bought a load of £12m players untested in the Premier League and frankly largely unheard of. You don't stand a chance of doing a Wolves - they had trusted international calibre players like Ruben Neves, Patricio and Moutinho come in."

"Being a fan of Villa you are a probably a bit delusional IMO. "

"Avoiding relegation would be a massive achievement for Villa this season."

Interestingly we're still debating how to setup our international class midfield, whilst Sam Allardyce and his fellow knuckle draggers are already writing us off as being delusional. You'd think the arrival of players of Douglas Luiz calibre would perhaps signal to these morons that we mean to have a right go at surviving and surprising a few teams this season. I'm really hoping we catch a few out...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

 

Interestingly we're still debating how to setup our international class midfield, whilst Sam Allardyce and his fellow knuckle draggers are already writing us off as being delusional. You'd think the arrival of players of Douglas Luiz calibre would perhaps signal to these morons that we mean to have a right go at surviving and surprising a few teams this season. I'm really hoping we catch a few out...

angry meryl streep GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

prob in progress, says "subject to WP", however, as with Wesley/Trez, i highly doubt they would announce it officially if they didn't think it they would get one.

Though Man City obviously did 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why everyone is saying this is just a workaround loan and Man City will just buy him back next season...  Just to be clear, his work permit application was denied for us already this summer and we are currently going through the appeals process...  Unless he breaks into the Brazilian national team immediately, starts most of their games in the next year, gets us to the Champions league, and/or Man City buy him back for 30 Million plus and make him one of their top earners, he isn't going anywhere next season...  

Also, I think some are going to have to lower their expectations for this kid too.  From what I've heard/seen, he hasn't had a great time in Spain on loan...   Lingers too long on the ball, loses possession because he takes too long to make decisions, and has seemed late in the tackle/off pace in most games.  He also hasn't looked impressive to me in any of the Man City friendly highlights either.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but out of all our signings we've made so far this summer, this is the one which worries me the most.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Deadly Doug

If you say his name in an exaggerated South American accent, it could almost be Dougellis Luiz

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KMitch said:

I don't get why everyone is saying this is just a workaround loan and Man City will just buy him back next season...  Just to be clear, his work permit application was denied for us already this summer and we are currently going through the appeals process...  Unless he breaks into the Brazilian national team immediately, starts most of their games in the next year, gets us to the Champions league, and/or Man City buy him back for 30 Million plus and make him one of their top earners, he isn't going anywhere next season...  

Also, I think some are going to have to lower their expectations for this kid too.  From what I've heard/seen, he hasn't had a great time in Spain on loan...   Lingers too long on the ball, loses possession because he takes too long to make decisions, and has seemed late in the tackle/off pace in most games.  He also hasn't looked impressive to me in any of the Man City friendly highlights either.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but out of all our signings we've made so far this summer, this is the one which worries me the most.  

Fair enough to reserve judgement, but I'm an expert baker of humble pie, so please ensure you remind me of your preseason worry later in the year and I'll be glad to serve you up a slice. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very excited about this signing but he is a young player of enormous potential not a world beater (yet). He struggled to get into Girona's relegated team last season. He played well against Barca and Real according to the highlights reel but other observers have suggested he was off the pace in some of their other matches.

Just winning the best player award at Toulon doesn't mean you will go on to be a great player (although plenty have done) - this link gives a list of past winners. The last two Brazilian winners in 2013 and  2014 respectively were Yuri Mamute and Rodrigo Caio who from what I can see have hardly gone on to rip up world football.

Like the majority (all?) of the players we have signed this summer, our coaching team are backing their ability to improve Douglas and fulfill his potential. Our board are backing our coaching team to increase the value of their investment.

Edited by mallett
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TRO said:

yeah....but the principles are not......wait and see is my point.

I don't doubt many people are going round thinking it's all a game! Don't forget we were relegated in the past. Also don't forget that right now money talks and the big boys have all the power and we were almost completely destroyed as a club last year but for the type of luck that has no parallel in the real world. Maybe we're more like Newcastle  in this country. I bet Mike Ashley is saying wait and see on both counts too. Wait and see is something I've been hearing for three years and it's was BS now three years ago as it is now.

Edited by praisedmambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mallett said:

I am very excited about this signing but he is a young player of enormous potential not a world beater (yet). He struggled to get into Girona's relegated team last season. He played well against Barca and Real according to the highlights reel but other observers have suggested he was off the pace in some of their other matches.

Just winning the best player award at Toulon doesn't mean you will go on to be a great player (although plenty have done) - this link gives a list of past winners. The last two Brazilian winners in 2013 and  2014 respectively were Yuri Mamute and Rodrigo Caio who from what I can see have hardly gone on to rip up world football.

Like the majority (all?) of the players we have signed this summer, our coaching team are backing their ability to improve Douglas and fulfill his potential. Our board are backing our coaching team to increase the value of their investment.

This is true, though Caio has played for the senior Brazil team which is pretty good going for someone who hasn't ripped up world football.

 

Other winners include very good Prem players with excellent potential (Brooks, Loftus-Cheek), world-class talents (James Rodriguez, Riquelme, Henry, Rui Costa, Mascherano) and players who had outstanding careers who weren't far off world-class (Shearer, Ginola, Mavuba, Gameiro, Giovinco). 

 

So yes, not guaranteed that he'll go on to be a superstar, but if he's coached well, keeps his feet on the ground, and is willing to put the effort in, he could go very far in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This is true, though Caio has played for the senior Brazil team which is pretty good going for someone who hasn't ripped up world football.

 

Other winners include very good Prem players with excellent potential (Brooks, Loftus-Cheek), world-class talents (James Rodriguez, Riquelme, Henry, Rui Costa, Mascherano) and players who had outstanding careers who weren't far off world-class (Shearer, Ginola, Mavuba, Gameiro, Giovinco). 

 

So yes, not guaranteed that he'll go on to be a superstar, but if he's coached well, keeps his feet on the ground, and is willing to put the effort in, he could go very far in the game.

Shearer not world class? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen a video of Guardiola more or less stating his frustrations at the whole work permit process.  Said that he was sad for Luiz because he would have in or around the City first team but couldn't get a permit, we come waltzing in and get one for him.  Two fingers up to you Pep and City!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Time to start this round Villa Park I think: 

happy golden girls GIF by TV Land

Lets all do the konsa

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Seen a video of Guardiola more or less stating his frustrations at the whole work permit process.  Said that he was sad for Luiz because he would have in or around the City first team but couldn't get a permit, we come waltzing in and get one for him.  Two fingers up to you Pep and City!!! :D

I think Man City are helping us in this, as the reason we can maybe get a Work Permit is due to him being transferred as the Fee will count as one of the points required.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Seen a video of Guardiola more or less stating his frustrations at the whole work permit process.  Said that he was sad for Luiz because he would have in or around the City first team but couldn't get a permit, we come waltzing in and get one for him.  Two fingers up to you Pep and City!!! :D

Just throwing his toys out of the pram because he's used to getting things his way.

He rated him so highly he sold him for a massive £15m to Villa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I think Man City are helping us in this, as the reason we can maybe get a Work Permit is due to him being transferred as the Fee will count as one of the points required.

I think it's us helping them to be honest. We sign him now and they buy him back cheaply in a year or two when he won't have any work permit issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kurtsimonw said:

 

He rated him so highly he sold him for a massive £15m to Villa.

I think we all know this is not really the case!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, villa89 said:

I think it's us helping them to be honest. We sign him now and they buy him back cheaply in a year or two when he won't have any work permit issues. 

If that happens it will mean he has been a success so 2 way helping each other.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...
Â