Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

No, completely different. This is a fan forum. As long as it’s not racist, homophobic, threatening etc fans are in a safe space rotor post opinions positive and negative. 

Twitter and Instagram are for those who want to interact with the players. So completely depressing that certain fans insist on being so vile (although in true internet spirit you can’t be sure that they’re actually our fans at all-probably are tho).

I agree it’s different, but not wildly. It’s the equivalent of talking behind someone’s back. I’m not talking about critiquing a performance by the way, just the ‘he’s **** shit get rid, embarrassment’, ‘lazy word removed’ type stuff.

Edited by a m ole

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I agree it’s different, but not wildly. It’s the equivalent of talking behind someone’s back. I’m not talking about critiquing a performance by the way, just the ‘he’s **** shit get rid, embarrassment’, ‘lazy word removed’ type stuff.

It's more like meeting some people at the bar or some public place and just shooting the shit about football. At least, that's how I see this forum as. I'm not going to mince my words or anything whenever I talk about these players because it would be "talking behind someone's back". Its not like they're our friends that we're shitting on behind their backs.

Of course I would prefer less abuse, but conversations like these are always hyperbolic in nature. There's still a massive difference between me saying Douglas Luiz is shit to some random people talking football then going up to him directly and saying it to him or at least saying it to him within earshot. Which is my analogy between this forum and social media.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Yeah but these aren’t your mates at work, these are playing sport at the highest level in a completely public arena. 
If I’m honest I hate the “he’s shit get rid” stuff, but then that’s not how I would talk about someone in real life. But if a player, particularly one who has just dropped a clanger, comes on a fan forum out of curiosity they probably aren’t going to be pleased.

I think football behind closed doors has exacerbated a problem. No one can grumble to the bloke stood next to them on the Holte or their mate at the pub or their dad on the sofa so firing something nasty off on Twitter is a release for them. People need to handle their emotions better.

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

It's more like meeting some people at the bar or some public place and just shooting the shit about football. At least, that's how I see this forum as. I'm not going to mince my words or anything whenever I talk about these players because it would be "talking behind someone's back". Its not like they're our friends that we're shitting on behind their backs.

Of course I would prefer less abuse, but conversations like these are always hyperbolic in nature. There's still a massive difference between me saying Douglas Luiz is shit to some random people talking football then going up to him directly and saying it to him. Which is my analogy between this forum and social media.

This is social media though. A player would just have to google their own name to find this place.

Look, I’m absolutely not equating saying a player is shit with DMing on Instagram that they should die, just that if we’re going to criticise that then maybe we should all chill the **** out on here a little bit too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Of course I would prefer less abuse, but conversations like these are always hyperbolic in nature. There's still a massive difference between me saying Douglas Luiz is shit to some random people talking football then going up to him directly and saying it to him or at least saying it to him within earshot. Which is my analogy between this forum and social media.

You said it better than me.

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Let’s be honest though, and I’m guilty myself of this in the not too distant past, that VillaTalk is also social media; there’s not much difference between the direct shit they get on Instagram and the comments on here. We all have bad days at work, and he had been having a very good day until the mistake. It’s not the first time this season our players have highlighted the shit they get thrown at them. We should all have a good hard look at ourselves and how we talk about players on here too.

for me, this is a place to vent our frustrations and delights. if a player CHOOSES to come on here and have a look then that's up to him. theres a world of difference between slating a player on here vs slamming him on his insta comments (or worse, DMing him).

if i think that luiz is useless and that we should try and sell him, then this is the place i'd feel comfortable expressing that. i would'nt dream of putting it on his social media because it's just wrong.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

No, completely different. This is a fan forum. As long as it’s not racist, homophobic, threatening etc fans are in a safe space to post opinions positive and negative. 

Twitter and Instagram are for those who want to interact with the players. So completely depressing that certain fans insist on being so vile (although in true internet spirit you can’t be sure that they’re actually our fans at all-probably are tho).

not burying my head in the sand, i'm sure we do have our share of arseholes, but the tribalism in footbally coupled with the recent campaigns i wouldn't be surprised if a few rivals chucked a few DMs towards our players under the guise of villa fans, knowing it would get headlines.

• Like 1

I dont get why any fan would go on a players perosnal social media and abuse him.  Going on a villa forum that playera dont probably reas and expressing your views is not as bad.

But going to them directly and attacking them is pathetic 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, a m ole said:

This is social media though. A player would just have to google their own name to find this place.

Look, I’m absolutely not equating saying a player is shit with DMing on Instagram that they should die, just that if we’re going to criticise that then maybe we should all chill the **** out on here a little bit too.

Big difference in my opinion.

This is an Independent forum, FOR fans, by fans, away from general media, for fans to discuss all things Villa, among fans.

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are public forums for everyone.

Censoring our opinions on here, amongst ourselves would take away a huge chunk of the point of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont get why any fan would go on a players perosnal social media and abuse him.  Going on a villa forum that playera dont probably reas and expressing your views is not as bad.

But going to them directly and attacking them is pathetic 

That's the thing there is one thing me and you debating stuff on here but what sort of enjoyment do people get going on somebody's personal page and abusing them 

It's just not on 

Depressing, the standard of human being out there. In my more naive younger years I truly believed Villa fans were better than most, had a bit of class, more respect, etc. 

Not for the first time, a selection of idiots are showing that's not the case.

How people think it's acceptable to abuse someone on social media for posting up a photo of them smiling on their birthday is beyond me.

If anyone doesn't like Dougie for whatever reason or doesn't want to see that sort of post after a loss, can't understand why they can't just unfollow and keep their mouths shut. 

Part of me wishes it were just stupid kids but it evidently isn't. A lot of folks need to grow the fvck up.

Edited by est1874
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I give him shit on here, but people abusing him on social media is disgusting and pathetic.

How old are these people? who raised these idiots?!

I thought he had a great first half, he's very much a confidence player, the ability is not in doubt. These idiots need to remember this lad has just turned 23.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I give him shit on here

Is it OK to give "shit" to people who are not on this forum? I understand forum rules probably allow it, but ????

He played really well aside from the mistake.

I do think the problem is he is 23 and we put a lot of weight on his shoulders as the most important/pivotal player at the heart of our side. That is a big ask.

As many have said he doesn't really have the height and physical attributes to do play that role, neither does McGinn. 

We need beast of a midfielder who can break up play and do the dirty work needed to let Luiz do the more technical passing midfield play he is clearly capable of.

Nakamba doesn't win enough in the air to do that role, even if he can tackle and block well. 

• Like 1

He was alright first half. Saying he played really well is rather baffling. It kind of dilutes the meaning of the words.

Everyone are entitled to their view, but I wonder what you say when he actually plays really well.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

He clearly loves the club and gives his 100 % every game.

Fans going out of their way to slate him on his personal Insta are disgraceful.

I really hoped players would turn on restricted mode in the comments.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I do get what you mean. This place isn't directly comparable to social media but I think if we want to hold it to a higher standard then the only difference shouldn't be just that it's ok because the players can't see it. There has been stuff down the years that's been of that level about people that really don't deserve it and we could all probably do with being cognizant of avoiding it.

Â