Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Played well. Got his customary yellow card. 

Its interesting that isnt it re. Yellows. Seems happy to go long periods of games on a booking. A lot of the bookings he picks up are within his control. Not reckless fouls.

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its interesting that isnt it re. Yellows. Seems happy to go long periods of games on a booking. A lot of the bookings he picks up are within his control. Not reckless fouls.

I didnt see the one today but he is usually good for a tactical foul, Sanson, Cash, Targett and Jack are good for this as well which is not nice but has to be done

Seems to get booked a lot for shoulder-to-shoulder tussles, about half of which should have been left to play on by the refs imo. If he gets a bit stronger and can ease players off the ball more quickly/naturally, they'll stop calling so many of those.

Wondering whether the lack of a new contract is his choice (wants away), the club’s (yet to be convinced) or both parties waiting on Citeh to decide his future? 

Notable that he’s the only one of our ‘core’ players not to either still be in the first year of their contract, or have recently signed a new one. 

I know it was necessary at the time but these buy-back clauses are rubbish.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Wondering whether the lack of a new contract is his choice (wants away), the club’s (yet to be convinced) or both parties waiting on Citeh to decide his future? 

Notable that he’s the only one of our ‘core’ players not to either still be in the first year of their contract, or have recently signed a new one. 

Maybe we can’t offer him A new contract until the buy back clause expires?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Or still being negotiated? I hope he sticks around here for a while... surely he wants to jump into the Holte End at least one more time.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I'm not sure its rubbish. It may have been the only way we get Luiz and it may have driven down the purchase price.

He was an essential part in us staying up and if he leaves, the price probably feels right. 

C15m profit for a player that helped keep us in the league and has more than played his part in a likely top half finish this season.

Worth repeating he is our youngest regular starter in the most tactically and physically demanding position.

Injuries permitting, he has a very high ceiling. He’ll get stronger, his read of the game will be better. Imagine how good he’ll be in 3 years, and still only 25.

The AEG goal starts with a simple interception by Dougie in midfield and a one touch pass to launch our attack. Looked simple, but it was smart football.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Maybe we can’t offer him A new contract until the buy back clause expires?

Don’t know enough about the contract side but maybe that’s the case. Hope that’s the reason, but have a horrible feeling Pep will grab him back once the season ends.

I've always had the impression that Sanson was the intended replacement if he goes to City. A good player who's improving and a brazil international at 22, would be a great pickup at 27.5 release fee for city but I'm not convinced he'd play much if at all there.

Edited by VillaJay

He was ok yesterday but he hasn’t recaptured his form post lockdown last year.

What I don’t understand is when we are playing out from the back Mings passes to Luiz who then passes it back to Mings to play a long ball.I don’t remember Luiz ever taking the ball himself and passing forward.Surely he is closer to our other players and Luiz has greater passing ability.Is it a confidence thing?Or is it tactical so we don’t lose the ball in a dangerous area.

Edited by Only2McInallys

Knowing how Citeh operate they’ll activate the buy-back option this summer, or at the very least they’ll attempt use it as leverage in a move for Grealish. I do think Pep/City view Villa as an emerging threat, and so one way or another they could disrupt us a bit this summer if they so choose. On balance I’d say they probably will, given that Luiz is only 22 and has shown enough to suggest he can go to a much higher ceiling. I wouldn’t expect anything less from Villa if the roles were reversed. So I think we’ll be shopping for a new CDM in the summer, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

I like Luiz and of course he can improve - but to be completely honest he's been one of the weaker performers from our regular XI this season.

If Citeh take him back we can improve the first team IMO. If they don't he's got massive potential himself to grow into. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

He was ok yesterday but he hasn’t recaptured his form post lockdown last year.

What I don’t understand is when we are playing out from the back Mings passes to Luiz who then passes it back to Mings to play a long ball.I don’t remember Luiz ever taking the ball himself and passing forward.Surely he is closer to our other players and Luiz has greater passing ability.Is it a confidence thing?Or is it tactical so we don’t lose the ball in a dangerous area.

Because very rarely once Luiz receives the ball is there ever actually a short pass on. When there is we cut through teams like butter but we rarely make the movements to amke the passes available. 

49 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I like Luiz and of course he can improve - but to be completely honest he's been one of the weaker performers from our regular XI this season.

If Citeh take him back we can improve the first team IMO. If they don't he's got massive potential himself to grow into. 

Rarely the weakest if the midfield though. 

22 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Knowing how Citeh operate they’ll activate the buy-back option this summer, or at the very least they’ll attempt use it as leverage in a move for Grealish. I do think Pep/City view Villa as an emerging threat, and so one way or another they could disrupt us a bit this summer if they so choose. On balance I’d say they probably will, given that Luiz is only 22 and has shown enough to suggest he can go to a much higher ceiling. I wouldn’t expect anything less from Villa if the roles were reversed. So I think we’ll be shopping for a new CDM in the summer, unfortunately. 

Yeah annoyingly I think this makes sense. The dominant sides have always tried to disrupt the development of emerging threats. Alex Ferguson used to do it a lot.

Â