Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think it's been clear since at least Christmas, that as our form and Dougie's has worsened, and City's has gone through the roof, that we're not in much danger of losing him to them.

It's a sign of how well he was doing earlier in the season that it was even a question, but if we're honest he's a couple of levels below what they're interested in.

Precisely.....To be honest, he is a level below, what I am interested in.

Edited by TRO

34 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

He's young and got potential so could yet reach a higher ceiling. I think we should be patient with him. 

Will need better competition however.

Yeah, If we can get him on a new contract and the transfer clause has expired we should be patient with him. Cost 15m is only 22 and a current brazil international.

Overall though players like this are crucial to us moving forward as a club, even if he doesn't work out he will be worth more than what we paid for him when it comes to a sale.

His early season form and post restart form shows there's a real player there.

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

He's young and got potential so could yet reach a higher ceiling. I think we should be patient with him. 

Will need better competition however.

Yes, I agree with this. People are being much too quick to write him off. As we've seen with Konsa, a young player in their early 20s who has lots of first-team game time under their belt can be a real asset, because they've got time and room for improvement but aren't overwhelmed by the step to senior football. There's a difference between 'Luiz isn't a good player' and 'Luiz in a 2 with McGinn isn't working at the moment'.

• Like 3

In terms of comparison between this season and last, Luiz has been our worst player and by some distance. He has lost at least 20% of his pace, his distribution is too often sloppy and he's forgotten how to shoot or even what a shot is. I wouldn't fear losing him to City, indeed I would absolutely rip the arm off anybody who offers decent money for him as I think he is holding us back in midfield and we can and need to do so much better in there. 

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

In terms of comparison between this season and last, Luiz has been our worst player and by some distance. He has lost at least 20% of his pace, his distribution is too often sloppy and he's forgotten how to shoot or even what a shot is. I wouldn't fear losing him to City, indeed I would absolutely rip the arm off anybody who offers decent money for him as I think he is holding us back in midfield and we can and need to do so much better in there. 

Fair play but I wouldn't sell him just yet. I think he has a much higher ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

He's at an age where he should be steadily improving and he's going the other way which doesn't bode well for the future.

There's no such rule to player progress imo. Look at Vardy for example.

I think we will see at the end of next season if he will cut it or not. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Fair play but I wouldn't sell him just yet. I think he has a much higher ceiling.

yep, Fernandinho at 22 was playing in Ukraine, Casemiro was struggling at Porto. Jordan Henderson was a laughing stock at Liverpool and Fabinho was an average right back at Monaco

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

He's at an age where he should be steadily improving and he's going the other way which doesn't bode well for the future.

He's having a bad run of form in a side which is collectively having a bad run of form. Saying he's going the other way is a stretch 

35 minutes ago, WooJung said:

He's having a bad run of form in a side which is collectively having a bad run of form. Saying he's going the other way is a stretch 

There seems to be this thing at the moment where fans just expect everything to shoot up and never dip. 

Â