Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Personally I think he's been utter crap for quite a while. That leaves us in a reasonably good position actually - either City buy him back and we get a good price for someone that isn't performing right now, or we get to keep a player who did look genuinely good for us towards the start of the season and might be able to recapture his form next season. I'd be happy with either.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Personally I think he's been utter crap for quite a while. That leaves us in a reasonably good position actually - either City buy him back and we get a good price for someone that isn't performing right now, or we get to keep a player who did look genuinely good for us towards the start of the season and might be able to recapture his form next season. I'd be happy with either.

But imagine the scenes when he's pulling up trees at City and everyone loses their shit saying we always sell our best players.   It's an argument that can't be won. 

On 22/04/2021 at 18:47, TRO said:

Thats precisely what I mean....but you just assumed, I meant like the " crazy Gang" which i didn't....Tell me when controlled aggression's not good?, fouling or violent play,  is not the aggression, I allude to.....its playing with conviction, not being tentative.

I accept your point, He might have been a fraction late, but thats where the second goal come from Gundagan, beat him to the ball, Thats a CDM's ball.

just a point, Pep mentioned the word aggression, 3 times during his after match interview, in describing his team, in addition to their fabulous talent.....we would do well, to take heed and if we can't match them for talent, at least match them for aggression.....and then take it in to the other games too.

Lets see how we fair against the Albion.

ps controlled Aggression and too much aggression, relate to different consequences.....Don't confuse them.

I totally get what you are saying. We stand off too much sometimes and I start shouting at the TV "tackle them!!!" . Actively tackling,  closing the space , anticipating loose balls , passing and moving etc is all aggression. 

Some people misconstrue aggression as kicking them in the head.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dubbs said:

But imagine the scenes when he's pulling up trees at City and everyone loses their shit saying we always sell our best players.   It's an argument that can't be won. 

And the stupidity with that is it's entirely possible that he could be a world beater at City (if they buy him back) and would have continued to be average for us in our system.

But you know it won't stop people saying it. 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 10:18, barry'sboots said:

I assume that Citeh cannot just buy him back without his approval??

Approval would have been given when he agreed the buyback clause - it's in a contract he signed. It's the registration that moves, the contract stays the same.

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Imagine the scenes when he never gets a run out at City before getting sold to some other club and everyone agrees we did the right thing by selling him. It's an argument that can definitely be won.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I totally get what you are saying. We stand off too much sometimes and I start shouting at the TV "tackle them!!!" . Actively tackling,  closing the space , anticipating loose balls , passing and moving etc is all aggression. 

Some people misconstrue aggression as kicking them in the head.

Because it fits their narrative of mediocrity.

If you watched Burnley today.....They had it on display, all what you quoted.....Every player had fortitude, sure Wolves were pants, but you have to impose yourself....and Chris Wood just bullied them in th air.

I know, we are better than Burnley, but we could use a bit of their "Fortitude" right now.

• Like 1

There's more to football than being big.

The best defensive midfielders in the world are small, energetic, running machines. 

Lumping balls into the box to big strikers will always be effective, but it'll never be good enough to win anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And the stupidity with that is it's entirely possible that he could be a world beater at City (if they buy him back) and would have continued to be average for us in our system.

But you know it won't stop people saying it. 

I would look good in the city side....such is the quality surrounding you.

I will be very surprised if he goes back to city.....although, I thought Westood looked good for Burnley today, so players can get better at other clubs.

Edited by TRO

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's more to football than being big.

The best defensive midfielders in the world are small, energetic, running machines. 

Lumping balls into the box to big strikers will always be effective, but it'll never be good enough to win anything.

Chris Wood, says Hi

There are so many factors to being a top player and thus exceptions are created....The old saying goes " A good big 'un will beat a good little 'un any day".....physicality is a huge part of our game and it offers untold advantage to those who can use it well.

Heading the ball, is just one feature, that in unison with size, can unlock doors......Despite the out of vogue comments about heading the ball, so many goals are still scored by the method, and height gives you a huge advantage.....A small player in such a duel, is heavily disadvantaged and goals change games, don't forget.

Of course there is more to football than being big, there is more to football than being small too......The man himself ( Pep) has been on record as saying they have too many small players.

There are examples in both camps....Here are a few players randomly selected, that have played Defensive Midfield from those lofty heights ( pardon the pun) of world football.

• Marc Roca Junque...6' 0
  • Sergio Busquets.......6'2
  • Casemiro..................6'1
  • Patrick Viera.............6'4
  • Yaya Toure................6'2
  • Rodri.........................6'3
  • Javi Martinez...........6'2
  • Fabinho....................6'2

Just a few random examples of Defensive midfielders who don't fit your profile and have a fair shout at winning things.....

............even up front, the worlds best strikers have :

• Robert Lewandowski..... 6'1
  • Harry Kane.......................6'2
  • Erling Haaland.................6'4

So, I think your argument, lacks credence, in its superficial description.....and goes to prove, there are plenty examples of both sizes, imposing their attributes.

personally, I too think a good big 'un beats a good little 'un.....but then Messi really is an exception, isn't he.

Finally, Rodri did manage to beat us and win that game, with a fine header.....so even the most silkiest teams in the world call on the old header, to bail them out.

Edited by TRO

Apparently ourselves and Watford were two of the top three sides in the Premier League in terms of average height of outfield players last season.

The shorter the better in that case I say. 😉

Think it's been clear since at least Christmas, that as our form and Dougie's has worsened, and City's has gone through the roof, that we're not in much danger of losing him to them.

It's a sign of how well he was doing earlier in the season that it was even a question, but if we're honest he's a couple of levels below what they're interested in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

He wont be going to city with performances like that.

I don't know where that myth has been concocted, he wouldn't make their second team.....unless Pep could make something of him....Totally lightweight.

Edited by TRO

Â