Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

McGinn wasn't great but made some good passes and didn't get bumped off the ball as many times as Luiz.

Luiz is a class player, bags of ability, but today wasn't the only time were he has failed to contribute anything to attack or offer any cover for the defence.

paradoxically, he struggles with the mundane side of the job....at the moment.

1 hour ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Failed to contribute to attack? He literally got an assist lol, that's contributing.

damn i missed that, literally my stream cut out so i saw the final touch but not the build up. Oh well that kills my argument dead.

1 hour ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Failed to contribute to attack? He literally got an assist lol, that's contributing.

Thats the point... he is a good player.....just not a CDM

what did he and McGinn do in middle to protect the defence, where was they breaking up play and being the nuisance Burnely was......which was their prime function.

We cannot play with just 4 defence minded players.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

what did he and McGinn do in middle to protect the defence, where was they breaking up play and being the nuisance Burnely was......which was their prime function.

None of the goals Burnley scored where from the middle of the pitch so pointless to criticise CMs. One goal came after ridiculous header by Mings to no one near halfway which was easily turned over

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

None of the goals Burnley scored where from the middle of the pitch so pointless to criticise CMs. One goal came after ridiculous header by Mings to no one near halfway which was easily turned over

There were runners pouring forward in the latter stages with no one to stop them the middle was surrendered.....sure the crosses came in from the left, but runners made their way to the middle.

They don't dominate the middle, tacking is sparse, challenges are sparse and we don't win second balls anywhere near enough.....especially in the secong half.

Traore was ambling behind one Burnley player towards the end when cash was left on his own with McNeil.

The damage was done down the left, but they came through the middle and made their way to the back post and the middle of the goal.....who was marking Wood, as if we don't know from previous games, his danger in the air.....Matty Target, where was Tyrone Mings at 6'5...don't you think he would be more appropriate?

Edited by TRO

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I think Mings was culpable... again. Said it frequently last season. He plays nice out balls but is infuriating at times 

I don't want to hang any one player out to dry and Dean himself said the defensive duties were poor....they were.....but when we come up against teams with a bit of fire in their belly, despite them being secondary with technical ability, we flounder....now thats not all the players, but you only need 4/5 to cause a problem....The were resolute and resillient and we became powder puff, they seized the initiative from us, without much fuss......thats how we lost the game......They grew in to it and we wilted.

We can talk about substitutions, personnel and formations......They won the battle in the second half and we surrendered......Their goals were so soft, and so bloody defendable.

Honestly think sometimes he watches Jack and Barkley and Traore flicking it around to each other and is desperate to get involved and loses focus. Stops concentrating on his own job, what his role is, where we need him.

Very very good player who needs to nail the basics. His game slips when he starts getting too ambitious, probably because he can do it all with minimum effort most of the time.

I think he does the best he can physically, no problem with him in the position. He's quite smart most of the time and times his challenge well, which he has to being smaller than most people he's playing against. He won't be playing against those thugs every game.

For me Luiz is the weak link of the team. At the moment. 
He loses so many duels and the game passes him by. I’d like us to find a more physical presence who isn’t so easily pushed off the ball.  
Someone who also could help out on set pieces. We are really weak at them.  Both attacking and defending. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Interesting article on the lack of transfers this window on BBC Sport this morning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55803504

Obviously, Covid-19 is mostly responsible for this but behind the scenes if you read it all the way through, the new points based immigration and work permit system for the UK could spell trouble for us keeping Doug. 

It has been widely reported that City will be having a squad overhaul in the Summer with Aguero, Fernandinho et al reaching decent ages now. With a hugely reduced pool of players to choose from they could steer towards the dead certainty of Dougie for a good price?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this one. I for one hope City have their sights set higher and the players that they will be looking at should qualify anyway right?

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Interesting article on the lack of transfers this window on BBC Sport this morning. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55803504

Obviously, Covid-19 is mostly responsible for this but behind the scenes if you read it all the way through, the new points based immigration and work permit system for the UK could spell trouble for us keeping Doug. 

It has been widely reported that City will be having a squad overhaul in the Summer with Aguero, Fernandinho et al reaching decent ages now. With a hugely reduced pool of players to choose from they could steer towards the dead certainty of Dougie for a good price?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this one. I for one hope City have their sights set higher and the players that they will be looking at should qualify anyway right?

Luiz will 100% get a permit, he is already here with a current permit.

Luiz has been one of the best players all season, but he has been off his game a little since the COV19 outbreak.

He’s not a natural DM, he’s better playing a bit more forward, but a lot of good teams don’t use natural DM’s, they prefer a deep lying playmaker who can break teams up, but keep the trains running, which Luiz does very well.

He’s still only 22 and his best years in front of him, he will have the off game occasionally.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Luiz will 100% get a permit, he is already here with a current permit.

That's what I'm saying. He has a permit therefore he would be an easy xfer for City to make in terms of cheap fee and bureaucracy. Other targets (especially from EU) will be much harder at the moment if Covid-19 goes on into the summer and the immigrations rules arn't cleared up.  

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't want to hang any one player out to dry and Dean himself said the defensive duties were poor....they were.....but when we come up against teams with a bit of fire in their belly, despite them being secondary with technical ability, we flounder....now thats not all the players, but you only need 4/5 to cause a problem....The were resolute and resillient and we became powder puff, they seized the initiative from us, without much fuss......thats how we lost the game......They grew in to it and we wilted.

We can talk about substitutions, personnel and formations......They won the battle in the second half and we surrendered......Their goals were so soft, and so bloody defendable.

i have seen you say it many times, i have said it many times, others prob also, but for all our lovely play etc, we are a fairly soft team and when a team starts making it all dirty harry up in your face, we just cant handle it and dont like it.

I was amazed last night that in the second half when Burnley got even dirtier and in our faces, we seemed to revert to punting and long balls, playing right in to their hands.

As i have said a million times, i like our team going forward, and generally we are much better defensively this season, but we do have a huge issue with physicality, we are a soft side.

Hopefully Sanson can help a little, he's a bit of a McGinn type and will offer some bite,  but Sanson isnt a pure DM, he's a 10 or 8 (like McGinn), also......i like Luiz, but we also need a unit in the middle, maybe have Luiz and also buy a DM unit, then we at least have the option to field a bruiser DM if required, last night we would have benefited from that type of player in the middle.

before someone goes psycho, having a powerful unit in the DM role doesnt mean "they cant play football", ideally i would love a player with Luiz's ability but a good 6ft 3, powerful and athletic DM to at least have the option.

For me, in the summer the two most critical roles to purchase for are DM and AM.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

That's what I'm saying. He has a permit therefore he would be an easy xfer for City to make in terms of cheap fee and bureaucracy. Other targets (especially from EU) will be much harder at the moment if Covid-19 goes on into the summer and the immigrations rules arn't cleared up.  

yeah maybe, dunno?

honestly, im not concerned if man City come in for Luiz.

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Luiz has been one of the best players all season, but he has been off his game a little since the COV19 outbreak.

He’s not a natural DM, he’s better playing a bit more forward, but a lot of good teams don’t use natural DM’s, they prefer a deep lying playmaker who can break teams up, but keep the trains running, which Luiz does very well.

He’s still only 22 and his best years in front of him, he will have the off game occasionally.

I agree that he's not looked himself since the COVID outbreak, but strongly disagree that he's not a natural DM. 

He plays better there than anyone else in the team because he reads the game so well - his positioning is excellent and he so often will snuff out danger by pressing or intercepting because he's in the right place at the right time. It's a very understated skill that often doesn't get picked up on, but it's super important to how we play. 

Â