Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
24 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

For me he's like Petrov in the DM role (in terms of importance)

When he plays you don't really notice him, he plays well, breaks up play and keeps things ticking over. It's what a good DM should do.

Take Luiz out of the side and people will really notice him not being there.

DM is sometimes a role that is overlooked; the defence take the glory for the clean sheets and the strikers, wingers and attacking midfielders take the glory for the goals.

 

He's absolutely brilliant though and a vital part of this team.

 

Yes, he also gives Martinez a great option to play the ball into his feet a lot like petrov used to do. I'd enjoyed nakambas energy last night but I was terrified every time he took the ball with a newcastle player behind him.

Being a DM is no longer about making a series of tough tackles, its about positioning, being comfortable on the ball and intercepting play so you don't need the tackles.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Busquets - 5 MotM in over 500 games for Barca

Fabregas - 34 in 440 (although 11 were in one season)

Javi Martinez 30 in 440

Henderson - 9 in 424

F de Jong - 6 in 146

Brozovic - 13 in 243

Kante 11 in 236

Lockdown boredom taking its toll?

Where on earth have you managed to dig those stats out from? Lol

 

 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

His improvement in a little over a year has been a real show of what he can become if this improvement continues. I'm not sure he has what it takes to become a top quality defensive midfielder, he doesn't seem to have the pace and strength to stop players getting passed him. I see his true value as a ball playing central midfielder with a bit of everything in his game. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The last 10 games last season he reached another level. Was consistently the best player on the pitch during that run for us bar maybe Man Utd at VP. Totally outshone Jack too. Dont think he’s reached those heights again since during this season but to know he can and probably will in the coming months bodes well for us.

I think that’s because he doesn’t need to. We had no striker and the ball just kept coming back so we had to defend for most of those 10 games. That’s why he was so important to us.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Him not getting MOTM votes is more to do with how well we have done as a team I think. He’s doing his job in a team packed full of attacking intent. 

It's a weird football stat. There are certain attributes and jobs done on the pitch which are completely forgotten/ignored when giving match ratings.

The most common ignored one is work done off ball methinks. But I can ofc. understand why.

Just wish the producers and PL would look more into such stats mid game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

His best position is defensive midfield imo. I dont see him in a more advanced role or attacking role. He was more advanced yesterday and thats the worst I have seen him play in a long time. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
13 hours ago, MattVillaPortsmouth said:

Busquets - 5 MotM in over 500 games for Barca

Fabregas - 34 in 440 (although 11 were in one season)

Javi Martinez 30 in 440

Henderson - 9 in 424

F de Jong - 6 in 146

Brozovic - 13 in 243

Kante 11 in 236

Dougie has no official MotM in 100, to me doesn’t mean much playing in that role (yes not all above are direct ‘player’ comparisons, but they do the same job in the team imo). 

You have to watch the player not the team to see his worth, from my (limited but experienced) opinion he was the tools to be one of the very best, and Man City will kick themselves if they don’t take him back - but I don’t think they will.

Fair comment.

He did admit himself, he never played well on Saturday, He said to Jack, he lost too many balls, his words not mine......but, at least he is honest.

I want him to be great.....at 22 he has a chance.....and if he sees his own faults and corrects them.....no beef from me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
12 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yes, he also gives Martinez a great option to play the ball into his feet a lot like petrov used to do. I'd enjoyed nakambas energy last night but I was terrified every time he took the ball with a newcastle player behind him.

Being a DM is no longer about making a series of tough tackles, its about positioning, being comfortable on the ball and intercepting play so you don't need the tackles.

I accept the game has changed, its always changing.

teams still have soucek, mcTominayand NDidi, who actively break up the play and protect the central defence.

I appreciate the good bits of Dougie, but he himself admitted, he lost too many balls against Newcastle and against Man. City, too many played around him, he has to be more contact savvy.......I'm sure he will work on it.

He is 22 and i accept, he has much work to do.....thats all i am highlighting, work to do.

He is a fine prospect, that is my judgment on him.

I still think the centre backs need better protection.....I'm sure he will get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
14 hours ago, maqroll said:

Hasn't scored in over a year. I think once he scores again, he might get more confidence to shoot from distance more often. He's got the ability.

I think he looks ok on the ball.....its the defensive duties, at times, could be better for me.....I want him to be good.

i accept pretty players catch the eye, but paradoxically, its the mundane stuff, that i am referring too, that he can be better at.

I look at cash and he has come on leaps and bounds with the mundane stuff...so has Targett.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
4 hours ago, omariqy said:

Him not getting MOTM votes is more to do with how well we have done as a team I think. He’s doing his job in a team packed full of attacking intent. 

The team is having a great season.....The 2 full backs have come on leaps and bounds, with their defensive duties.

Imo Dougie could do better with the physical contact or intercepting the ball in transition.....He can get caught on the ball too......its things he can improve and I am sure he will.

overall, I am happy Dougie is with us.....just highlighting some improvements I think he can work on.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
20 hours ago, TRO said:

I accept the game has changed, its always changing.

teams still have soucek, mcTominayand NDidi, who actively break up the play and protect the central defence.

I appreciate the good bits of Dougie, but he himself admitted, he lost too many balls against Newcastle and against Man. City, too many played around him, he has to be more contact savvy.......I'm sure he will work on it.

He is 22 and i accept, he has much work to do.....thats all i am highlighting, work to do.

He is a fine prospect, that is my judgment on him.

I still think the centre backs need better protection.....I'm sure he will get there.

All good points. I enjoy your views and like the debate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VillanousOne said:

him and McGinn were dreadful today, he got bullied off the ball so many times.

Hmmmmm..... No, not having that. Thought both were ok, a little less than their best perhaps but not dreadful.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i really like Luiz, but we need a unit in the middle of the pitch.

Luiz and McGinn are both good players, but they are both quite lightweight and as a paring just arent physical enough.

we really need a Unit / Luiz or Unit / McGinn in the middle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

McGinn wasn't great but made some good passes and didn't get bumped off the ball as many times as Luiz.

Luiz is a class player, bags of ability, but today wasn't the only time were he has failed to contribute anything to attack or offer any cover for the defence.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

McGinn wasn't great but made some good passes and didn't get bumped off the ball as many times as Luiz.

Luiz is a class player, bags of ability, but today wasn't the only time were he has failed to contribute anything to attack or offer any cover for the defence.

He had an assist to be fair, good movement, created numerical superiority on the flank and squared it nicely to Jack 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

McGinn wasn't great but made some good passes and didn't get bumped off the ball as many times as Luiz.

Luiz is a class player, bags of ability, but today wasn't the only time were he has failed to contribute anything to attack or offer any cover for the defence.

Failed to contribute to attack? He literally got an assist lol, that's contributing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â