Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

33 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Which is why our new contract to him may make them less willing to complete the buy back, albeit unlikely as their wage bill dwarfs ours and Luiz would probably still be at the bottom end of theirs. 

I don't think we'd be able to negotiate a new contract with him without buying out City's element. I think all three parties would need to agree to a new deal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He wouldn't - my understanding of how these things work is that there's one contract. He's signed that contract - the contract has a clause in which his registration can be transferred back to City for a fee - if that happens, from his perspective, his £60k a week (or whatever it is) then gets paid by City rather than by Villa - the expiry dates, the bonuses and the other terms of the contract are unaffected, the only change is who his registration sits with. Essentially, when he signed that contract he agreed to play for whichever of the two clubs hold his registration throughout the period of that contract - there is no further need for personal agreement.

Yep, you're right. Sorry, deleted my post when I read back and saw @omariqy's explanation. 

Edited by Cizzler

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Sterling 3+ shots on target, 11+ match corners and Luiz to be carded @ 28/1 

Watkins to score, Aston Villa to win, BTTS & Luiz to be carded @ 100/1 

Is he on 2 yellows or 4 ? i.e. do the 2 yellows against Wolves that resulted in a red card count as 2 yellows or 1 red? Cuz obviously if it's 4 then a booking is a suspension.  FWIW Grealish, McGinn & Targett are also on 4.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Is he on 2 yellows or 4 ? i.e. do the 2 yellows against Wolves that resulted in a red card count as 2 yellows or 1 red? Cuz obviously if it's 4 then a booking is a suspension.  FWIW Grealish, McGinn & Targett are also on 4.

According the PL official site he is on 2. Which suggests it counts as a red only. Good news.

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

By signing the contract he'll have already decided though. Whether Pep (or whoever makes those decisions at City) would take into account his personal wishes would be another thing, and one which I guess would translate into cash from us to buy out the City element of the contract.

Fair play.

Also got to look at the fact that, IF we get Sanson, and he is capable of filling Luiz role ( And he does go back to City ), we would have essentially done a brilliant bit of business while netting 10 - 15 mill in profit as well.

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

That’s not how buy back clauses work. Luiz has already agreed to the move. Daniel Geey is the foremost expert on football contract law in the UK

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained/

I am corrected then. So essentially if City want him, City get him? Is that what you're saying?

Surely decisions are made by the men behind these deals, rather than the deals deciding for the men.

Luiz's preferences at the time of any buy back clause being activated would surely be considered?

As I've said to death, I'm a semi pro basketballer over here, and there is always etiquette and consideration before deals are made and hands shaken.

5 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I am corrected then. So essentially if City want him, City get him? Is that what you're saying?

Essentially yes, but there are factors we control that could make them not want him and I believe the first of those is what will happen:

-Offer them a fee to buy out the clause so they don't go ahead with the buy back. 

- Have Luiz love it here so much that he expresses to City this desire,  and they may respect it and hence change their stance. Unlikely that he'd say no to joining a champions league team in all honesty, but it might happen and it might make City more inclined to accept whatever we offer in point 1 above. There is no requirement to have your contracted players be happy, but it usually helps. There is no world where Luiz isn't happy at going back to City though, but he might be 6 months down the line if he hasn't broken in to the first team. He'll consider this, but won't be enough for then alone to refuse the buy back. 

It is very possible City won't want him, given the world of options they have available to them, but even then they'd probably try and pretend they did to get us to offer a buy out of the clause, knowing that they could sell him on for a profit if we called their bluff.

Edited by MrBlack

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Surely decisions are made by the men behind these deals, rather than the deals deciding for the men.

Luiz's preferences at the time of any buy back clause being activated would surely be considered?

As I've said to death, I'm a semi pro basketballer over here, and there is always etiquette and consideration before deals are made and hands shaken.

Moe Me GIF - Moe Me French - Discover & Share GIFs

Sorry, I was just looking for an excuse to use this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Could have used it in response to any of the Sanson highlight compilations given the belters Sanson seems to score!

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Don't apologise, I was just looking for an excuse to mention my basketball!

Seriously though, amusement and lightheartedness is always welcome from where I sit. More power to you.

Here I was making it out like I had the ins and outs of the Luiz deal laid out simple and plain, and @omariqy has shown that perhaps I didn't.

Doh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'd be able to negotiate a new contract with him without buying out City's element. I think all three parties would need to agree to a new deal.

So if your City and have no interest in buying him back you would say to Villa yes we will allow to buy us out of that clause give us x million, so do we sit tight and see if they do anything before the deadline expires and hope to keep him at no extra cost?

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

As an aspiring semi-professional ocean freestyle swimmer for the Kazakhi national team, I can confirm there is a degree of possibility that what @A'Villan has said may or may not be correct

This comment brings Sacha Baron Cohen in speedos to mind. All else can be forgiven, but not this. This is sacrilege of the mind's eye. RUDE!

Also, you scallywag, it's NBA or bust in the USA for a basketball career. I play with guys who averaged 20+ppg in the NCAA division one nearly every week!

Edited by A'Villan

I think City will either activate the buy back circa £30m or whatever is being touted about or we pay the uplift deficit that meets his current market value that buys out the clause. Obviously both clubs have to agree on current market value to decide what that deficit is.

City walking away with no player or additional money I can't see being an option. 

Edited by Kingman

32 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

This comment brings Sacha Baron Cohen in speedos to mind. All else can be forgiven, but not this. This is sacrilege of the mind's eye. RUDE!

Also, you scallywag, it's NBA or bust in the USA for a basketball career. I play with guys who averaged 20+ppg in the NCAA division one nearly every week!

You can make a living from it in Europe tbf - also China and Japan

3 hours ago, BOF said:

IIRC it counts as a red so neither yellow translates through

Â