Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

His worst game for six months, ah well.

Think the problem here is we're just continually rubbish in midfield against high pressing teams. Was a problem last year and remains a problem this year with better players (Liverpool would've been much harder with Henderson starting for them).

We have good footballers in midfield but the balance simply isn't right for these type of games. Think as season goes on DS is going to have to grow a pair and leave out a big name/untouchable first 11 player when we go away to likes of Southampton/Leeds as they smother what we put out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He look so much better when he is getting into advanced areas further up the pitch.

This guy is a box to box midfielder. I got no doubts about it.

He looked much better when he pushed up in the second half. Maybe experiment with him at the 8 and Nakamba at the 6.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

What makes you say this? His long list of assists? Key passes? Goals?

Well he did have an assist today..

He is technical. Good passer of the ball. Has a good shot on him.

I personally think he is wasted at DM. He is so limited to what he can do there. #FreeLuiz

Edited by villalad21

49 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Constantly left exposed by Barkley being too high up the pitch and McGinn seemingly hiding in the dressing  room.

Would probably bring in Nakamba for McGinn next match to give him a bit more support for the defensive side.

Thought McGinn was getting back to his best but been a big disappointment last two games so a game or two out won't do him any harm.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Well he did have an assist today..

He is technical. Good passer of the ball. Has a good shot on him.

I personally think he is wasted at DM. He is so limited to what he can do there. #FreeLuiz

Problem is he's the best DM we have, to move him further forward would leave us woefully poor defensively.

He had a poor game as did McGinn because they are both being outnumbered in midfield. Time and time again they have to beat or hold off 2 or 3 players before they can pass the ball. Opposing teams are swamping our midfield and we're turning over possession to easily inviting all sorts of problems for our back 4 .

Just now, tinker said:

Problem is he's the best DM we have, to move him further forward would leave us woefully poor defensively.

He had a poor game as did McGinn because they are both being outnumbered in midfield. Time and time again they have to beat or hold off 2 or 3 players before they can pass the ball. Opposing teams are swamping our midfield and we're turning over possession to easily inviting all sorts of problems for our back 4 .

Trez has stepped up this season. 

I hope Nakamba has the potential to do the same. He is a good tackler and was highly rated in Belgium.

It's similar to Ward Prowse I think. You could play him as the deepest midfielder as I think Southampton have done in the past but he's looked way better since they put back Romeu as DM and had him as the continuity midfielder.

Luiz played that role for us before we moved him to DM, Brazil also played him there slightly ahead of Casemiro so now he's up to speed with English game I don't see it as bad plan B to put him there in some games instead of McGinn who seems to have regressed badly last two games.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would probably bring in Nakamba for McGinn next match to give him a bit more support for the defensive side.

Thought McGinn was getting back to his best but been a big disappointment last two games so a game or two out won't do him any harm.

I don't think McGinn's recovered from the international break properly, playing 270 minutes in 6 days or something. 

Luiz is still relatively young and will still be developing his consistency. He'll have good games and bad, hopefully he goes on a little run of form now. 

• Like 1

Been trying to get a better idea of Luiz's style of play. Its intriguing me that we've basically had a player play an entire season with us and we're still not really sure what his style of play actually is.

The one thing that I think we all agree Luiz has is technical ability. But technical ability by itself doesn't tell us much. 

I think part of the problem with Luiz is that he's almost like a jack of all trades. He doesn't do any singular thing particularly well or often, at least he doesn't do them well or often enough to define his role. But he's not terrible at any particular thing either.

-He does contribute defensively, but no where near enough to be called a destroyer or holding midfielder.

-He's passing is okay, not great, not terrible.

-He's not high-scoring or high assisting but he does have a couple of goals and assists and can chip in with an occasional long shot.

-He's not lazy or static on the field but he's definitely not our midfield engine covering every blade of grass.

-One of our lower end set-piece takers. Not first choice for a free kick or corner taker, but does take them when our first choices don't.

I do think Luiz has talent and as mentioned before, his technical ability is there to see. But I don't think his assets are being used to the best of their abilities. Whether that's on him still figuring his own playing style out or Smith not properly utilizing him, who knows.

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

if he wants to be a genuine world class holding mid 

I see him differently than most, I find him really annoying, I think he gives the ball away a hell of a lot, doesn't really tackle and goes missing. His decision making re positioning is poor at times.

However, for balance I think hes really out of position he isnt a cdm, I dont think the mcginn / luiz partnership is that promising. Is he held back/ exposed by an out of form mcginn?

Just some rambling thoughts!

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His worst game for six months, ah well.

Think the problem here is we're just continually rubbish in midfield against high pressing teams. Was a problem last year and remains a problem this year with better players (Liverpool would've been much harder with Henderson starting for them).

We have good footballers in midfield but the balance simply isn't right for these type of games. Think as season goes on DS is going to have to grow a pair and leave out a big name/untouchable first 11 player when we go away to likes of Southampton/Leeds as they smother what we put out.

we need a player like Thomas Partey......a good all rounder in the middle of the park.

we need to try and sign one in January......then the offensive players can get on with their job, instead of trying to defend, when they haven't the nose for it.

• Like 1

I think Luiz is a very classy player, and being the deepest midfielder in a possession oriented team is his best position. For us he will have good games and bad games as we arent always great as a team at keeping the ball moving in the opponents half. 

If Man City did buy him back who would you want and who do you think we could afford? Assuming Smith would want another tidy ball player type player a few options below as starters.

If we have a great season and qualify for Europe:

Kalvin Phillips- very highly rated and does seem to have lots of ability. Doubt he would come though 

Declan Rice - I would like this one to happen as I think he would fit in well with the team and he would want to come, but I think we would be priced out of it

Tyler Adams - Leipziz young American midfielder with lots of potential. Would love him here

Jorginho - very doubtful one, but he doesn't seem to be a consistent  first choice at Chslsea and we could have funds available and would be an ambitious target

If we finish mid table ish:

Marko Grujic - out of favour at Liverpool but looks a decent player whenever i have seen him and had a good season in Germany

Papy Mendy - Playing very well at Leicester at the mo, but doubtful he would keep his place when Ndidi is back fit so could be tempted 

Sander Berge - Sheff Utd are struggling and may go down. If so then whilst he hasn't been very impressive yet this chap was very highly rated and would have experience of the prem

Ethan Ampadu - not sure if his best position is CB or in midfield but he has been touted as a great defensive midfielder and could be available if Chelsea decide to sell

Mohamed Elneny - a decent player at Arsenal with prem experience. Not really good enough for them but could be a good player for us 

Billy Gilmour - Like Ampadu unlikely Chelsea would want to sell but could be persuaded with the guarantee of first team football, playing alongside his international teammate and if the price is right 

If we stay up by skin of teeth again:

Nathaniel Chalobah - Terry knows him well and could be a good option 

John Lundstram - could be available on a free transfer and was very good last year for Sheff Utd 

Lewis Cook - had a lot of injuries at Bournemouth but has always looked a classy ball player 

Will Hughes - Another Watford player that could be available and would be a decent player 

Joe Allen - only 30 still with bags of experience and suits a deep midfielder position 

Obviously hope Luiz stays with us a long time but thought it might be interesting to consider a few options. What do you think? And anyone else you think may be a good buy? I know we have been linked with a few players from the French league recently 

Â