Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

If you go with a Ndidi type you're looking at 4141. I'm quite happy with 4231 with McGinn Luiz double pivot. I was worried about Doug with international travel before Leeds game. Not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water over that result. Out of interest how many Leeds players were on international duty?

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If you go with a Ndidi type you're looking at 4141. I'm quite happy with 4231 with McGinn Luiz double pivot. I was worried about Doug with international travel before Leeds game. Not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water over that result. Out of interest how many Leeds players were on international duty?

That started i think Dallas and Alioski, some of the younger players maybe at youth levels

But we did play a game after the international break

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Lets hope you're right.....We will see , against Southampton.

I am not sure there is enough athleticism in there....I think if one of them was a dedicated CDM, (we would get away with it, but in my view ,but neither are)....i.e then, one goes ,one sits.

but hey....its only what I think.....maybe the Leeds game was not reflective as a general rule.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Lets hope you're right.....We will see , against Southampton.

I am not sure there is enough athleticism in there....I think if one of them was a dedicated CDM, (we would get away with it, but in my view ,but neither are)....i.e then, one goes ,one sits.

but hey....its only what I think.....maybe the Leeds game was not reflective as a general rule.

It would be ideal if we had the personell to suit either system.

Different opposition will pose different threats, and we need to be able to adapt equally.

So I'd still ideally want that powerful DM, OR a Luiz style emergence from Nakamba.

We haven't really seen much of Nakamba recently to be fair.

Nakamba tries but is so limited on the ball. We need someone who can use the ball back there.

If we're going to be knocking it round from Martinez, I trust Luiz more than anyone bar Grealish probably. Definitely more than Konsa and Mings who see the most of it back there.

Luiz is a brilliant player, he's waaay down the list of issues with Aston Villa.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't rate Nakamba that highly but pretty sure a fair few on his thread were saying his stats weren't bad last season?

He's alright to come in for the odd start, the trick is we don't want him starting 20 + times like last year.

Leeds probably would have been a game for Nakamba actually, he makes the odd tactical foul as well to break up rhythm

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Leeds probably would have been a game for Nakamba actually, he makes the odd tactical foul as well to break up rhythm

yes I think so too but could he have changed a winning team. 

On 28/10/2020 at 22:54, Zatman said:

I don't know about that. He's great as a destroyer and as someone who can regain possession, but he's a clear weak link when we're in possession. He would've been the ideal trigger for Leeds' press.

On 30/10/2020 at 11:35, Greenfly said:

I don't know about that. He's great as a destroyer and as someone who can regain possession, but he's a clear weak link when we're in possession. He would've been the ideal trigger for Leeds' press.

Well he had a petter ps% than Luiz last season. The main issue is his weak foot and I really hope we have been working on it with him. Hopefully it is now serviceable and when wr see him next he can play 5 yard passes with it. 

On 30/10/2020 at 11:35, Greenfly said:

Personally, I don't even see him as a great destroyer......To be an enforcer you have to have an above average ability to read the game,amongst many things, I don't think he has.....on many occasions i have seen players breeze past him.

I don't think we have anyone at the club that can completely dominate the ball in the middle of the park.....our engine room is just kinda ok for me, not anything special.

Edited by TRO

On 28/10/2020 at 06:39, Kiwivillan said:

How many Sheff Utd and Burnley players gained international recognition last season either......workrate can take you a long way, even though it can be short lived if you can't sustain it.

I am happy with the way Dean plays in general, but we have to work hard too and that means stopping opposing players.....that does not always require highly tuned technique, it requires athleticism, graft, cohesion and a competive spirit of determination.

18 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yeah, Luiz definitely isn't a destroyer. Thing is, I'm not entirely sure what he is either. I used to think he was a great passer, but his passing stats aren't very good either. They're not bad, but they're definitely not particularly good.

Yeah. This is Doug in a nutshell. We can all see he is a good footballer and he continues to improve, but the take off him being a rolls Royce of a baller is too much for me. He can become great, but at the moment he is solid and improving 

The constant assumption that man city would be mad not to drop £50mill on him and buy back is mad. He isn't there yet.

Essentially if he was to leave I'd be fairly confident we could replace what he brings to them team by bringing in a more typical destroyer type for £20-30 mill bracket, as going forward he isn't particularly creative in terms of goals or assists.

Still a bit of an enigma for me

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

Yeah. This is Doug in a nutshell. We can all see he is a good footballer and he continues to improve, but the take off him being a rolls Royce of a baller is too much for me. He can become great, but at the moment he is solid and improving 

The constant assumption that man city would be mad not to drop £50mill on him and buy back is mad. He isn't there yet.

Essentially if he was to leave I'd be fairly confident we could replace what he brings to them team by bringing in a more typical destroyer type for £20-30 mill bracket, as going forward he isn't particularly creative in terms of goals or assists.

Still a bit of an enigma for me

Yep. If this lad isn't Brazilian he cops a lot of stick on here. As it is he's a rolls Royce. Lax defensively. Silly fouls. Poor passing going forward. No assists no goals

3 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Yep. If this lad isn't Brazilian he cops a lot of stick on here. As it is he's a rolls Royce. Lax defensively. Silly fouls. Poor passing going forward. No assists no goals

To be fair since lockdown I think his judgment on when to tackle and concede a foul without getting booked has been excellent but what he was doing to give away that first free kick I have no idea.  He was never going to win the ball in a million years, right in the perfect spot for Ward-Prowse too.  Just killed the game off completely with that decision.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair since lockdown I think his judgment on when to tackle and concede a foul without getting booked has been excellent but what he was doing to give away that first free kick I have no idea.  He was never going to win the ball in a million years, right in the perfect spot for Ward-Prowse too.  Just killed the game off completely with that decision.

Allowing the ball into the forward that took our entire midfield 3 out was the bigger problem.

Â