Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

We paid 15, Purslow said buyback was significant so probably 25 but apparently increases per season 

That wouldn't be too bad if true, 25 is still quite a gamble considering he's only performed for around 10 games. It would be massive to keep him, whatever league we end up playing in next season

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Easily the most comfortable, most technical ability CM we've had since probably Barry.

Petrov was very good technically and also the master at winning free kicks late in games we were winning. Milner was also very underrated technically, can still remember those times he'd take the ball into the corner, 3 defenders would be around him and he'd still come out with the ball.

He's better technically than the likes of Delph. Westwood was a safe passer and considering he's comfortably carved out a nice mid table premier league career for himself I really don't see why Luiz won't do that at the very worst, he'll be playing for at least a europa league team in 3 years time I think.

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

You’d think by now with the likes of Luiz and Benteke that we’d give those from overseas more of a chance (I’m guilty of this too)

The problem is we so often need an immediate solution. We actually have a good track record of spotting some good players but for the last 8ish years if players can’t deliver immediately for us we have either been in danger of missing promotion or getting relegated... if you brought Luiz in as a prospect and he slowly worked his way into an established midfield we would all be less impatient, but we haven’t often been able to do that.

• Like 3

If possible, we should be building a team round this guy. Purslow/Smith need to sit down with him, tell him that they want to build the team round him, whatever league we in, double his money and tie him down to a new longer contract. Really rate Dougie, but not just as an individual, like jack, its the balance he offers to the team. As someone mentioned, think Jack is now to much of an individual, comes with so much baggage being homegrown villa, be sad to lose him but given a choice would rather see Doug stay and develop a team round him. Heres hoping.

Edited by honest_bertie
  • Like 2

He will be off. He isnt going to learn anything playing Championship football. We could promise him the world , if a PL club comes in for him he will be on his bike.

It will be an absolute waste of a year for him down there, he would sleep walk through games. Be the equivalent of watching O'Hare rip up the U23s every week. What is the point?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He will be off. He isnt going to learn anything playing Championship football. We could promise him the world , if a PL club comes in for him he will be on his bike.

It will be an absolute waste of a year for him down there, he would sleep walk through games. Be the equivalent of watching O'Hare rip up the U23s every week. What is the point?

I don’t think he’d quite be that good down there. He’s got time on his side for development and the experience of being the heart of a team aiming to come straight back up would be useful to him. If we can keep the majority of the team together and develop it further in a championship promotion race, then Villa would be much better for it but so would a lot of those players. 

I just can’t imagine that if we get relegated we will keep a player who Pep would gladly take at Man City. Not saying he’ll end up there but surely if one of the world’s top teams want him then someone like Brighton would take him. But I hope I’m wrong (and I hope we stay up!)

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I just can’t imagine that if we get relegated we will keep a player who Pep would gladly take at Man City

We really don't know if thats the case though.

They will probably have moved past him ages ago.

Thing is we don’t have to sell him, unless city activate the buy back clause, which I don’t believe they will. I’m sure plenty of other teams would take him but he’s our player and as long as he doesn’t kick up a fuss to leave, he’ll stay. I appreciate that he might hand a transfer request in or that agents might turn his head, but for someone who’s new to the country and still young, I hope he wants to stay at Villa for another year at least. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We really don't know if thats the case though.

They will probably have moved past him ages ago.

Oh agreed we don’t know if Pep would sign him tomorrow but we definitely know he tried to get him there for two years and paid £10m as part of that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The problem is we so often need an immediate solution. We actually have a good track record of spotting some good players but for the last 8ish years if players can’t deliver immediately for us we have either been in danger of missing promotion or getting relegated... if you brought Luiz in as a prospect and he slowly worked his way into an established midfield we would all be less impatient, but we haven’t often been able to do that.

Examples of this include: Gueye, Veretout, Amavi, Adama, Ayew, Enda Stevens, Westwood, and obviously now Luiz. Normally though they end up getting good without us.

Which is why what Bruce and Di Matteo did in the championship is so galling. They spent a huge amount of money on players in or past their primes and the only young players they spent money on were a million miles away from getting into our team. If we invested properly into more players like mcginn we would have had a good strong squad when we got promoted and we wouldn't be in this dilemma right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

They still have to wait a transfer window to do that I believe and Luiz has to agree to it as well. Which why would he. If city would demand 35 mil for him and only pay us 25 million. The buying club could offer us 30 million and give Luiz a signing bonus of 2.5 million. In other words it is counter productive for him to agree to a contract with City of they just intend on selling him straight away again. 

Because we could refuse to sell to anyone apart from Man City, if they have a buyback clause and activate it, so another team could reach an agreement with City and Luiz for them to buy him off us and sell straight on at a small profit for their trouble.

I'm not sure what the rules on multiple transfers in one window is, so they may have to wait a window yes, but in theory it could happen.

Edited by fightoffyour

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Because we could refuse to sell to anyone apart from Man City, if they have a buyback clause and activate it, so another team could reach an agreement with City and Luiz for them to buy him off us and sell straight on at a small profit for their trouble.

I'm not sure what the rules on multiple transfers in one window is, so they may have to wait a window yes, but in theory it could happen.

But Luiz still has to agree a contract with City and he could just refuse to sign with them because he could almost certainly receive a bigger signing bonus if he just went from us to whoever was signing him rather from us to city to that same team. It makes no sense for Luiz unless he thinks he will be playing for City which is unlikely because they have rodri who will play there most of the time and fernandinho if they sign a couple of decent CBs on the summer. 

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I really like Douglas but let’s be honest the lad has less than one season under his belt and only played well about ten times. He has made plenty, plenty of mistakes (Leicester and Bournemouth come to mind.)

Its not top level but year in the Championship playing twice a week against bruisers from Millwall would give him all the experience he needs to make the step up. He’d come out far less green.

That said, with those haircuts he doesn’t strike me as the sort who will stick around for those rainy evenings in Stoke 💇‍♂️ 

Â