Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Wow, what a signing!

Feels like we’re being spoiled with all this (for once) quality transfer activity. 😆

I can’t remember feeling this level of excitement going into a new season!

UTV!

I love the thought of this lad breaking up opposition attacks and swiftly feeding Jack, McGinn or the wingers, turning defence into attack. The Dean Smith approach in a nutshell. 

• Like 2

Douglas Luiz had a really good Toulon Tournament for Brazil. Remember this article about Suso's new French area scout he hired  at the end of last year, who was there scouting the tournament?

There's also this scouting report from the rather good breakingthelines.com of the player during the tournament (specifically a match report of his performance n the game against Guatemala).

Some choice quotes from the article, although I suggest reading it all:

Everything ran through him. He did it all, and Guatemala really had no answer for him; even when they double-marked him during the latter stages, he still found a way to leave his mark on the game.

It’s difficult to overstate just how good Douglas Luiz was. Apart from two needlessly lazy fouls (one of which earned him a caution), he had a perfect game. He was constantly there to receive, offering Brazil players a quick passing option, either for one-touch lay-off passes or for a one-two. And when it came to breaking the lines, either with vertical passes through the middle or looping diagonals into the wingers, he was consistently superb.

He was fantastic on the defensive side of things, using his body to outmuscle the Guatemalan players in the midst of a dribble and win a resulting foul. He picked out wingers for fun on either flank, he fired in a penalty to cap off the scoreline, he simply did it all. After being seemingly entrapped in a purgatory of preseason friendlies and pointless loans, perhaps this summer’s Toulon Tournament will be just what Douglas Luiz needs to take the next step in his career.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Do people really believe that we'd be able to insert a buy-back clause that high?

I reckon Man City will set a modest buy-back amount, and if we try to push for higher they can just walk away and offer the same deal to any other 10th-20th team in the league, which would be our loss.

I’m not so sure about that, there’s an element of making sure the lad gets coached properly and in a similar way to how they play. Ok we can only push so hard, but would Pep let him go for 9 months coaching at Steve Bruce’s Newcastle? 

He kind of reminds me of the sort of midfielder that a lot of football fans fail to appreciate, one that doesn't do anything spectacular but is very tidy in possesion, and allows the rest of the team to express itself. A Petrov, Westwood, Whelan type. Edit: I'm basing this from a four minute video of him

Edited by useless

perhaps this summer’s Toulon Tournament will be just what Douglas Luiz needs to take the next step in his career.

Only Aston **** ing Villa, that's all. 

• Like 1

I'm torn.

I love that it looks like we are signing him, our transfer business so far shows we are going to be an exciting team regardless of what happens.

I'm sad that if he performs like a boss we probably won't have him next season.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I wonder what his personality is like? Will he be able to fit in with this squad that has some sort of an inner circle from last year?

Other than that, he seems like an awesome deal.

Doesn't matter. He is only here for one season.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I wonder what his personality is like? Will he be able to fit in with this squad that has some sort of an inner circle from last year?

Other than that, he seems like an awesome deal.

Perhaps himself and Wesley will go out for weekly gatherings like Jack and John did 😆

• Haha 1

This deal is good for FFP. It's effectively a free/money making player if City take him back as the fee will wipe out what we paid, plus cover his wages. If City don't want him back then £15m isn't a huge amount for a player with his hype and potential sell on elsewhere, if we don't want him. 

It could allow us to go for someone like Santamaria or Rongier as an alternative instead of Phillips. 

An exciting move regardless of whatever else we may or may not do in the DM position. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm torn.

I love that it looks like we are signing him, our transfer business so far shows we are going to be an exciting team regardless of what happens.

sad about something that may or may not happen 12 months from now.

The reality is that if ANY of our players have a great season we're probably going to find it hard to keep hold of them next summer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, useless said:

He kind of reminds me of the sort of midfielder that a lot of football fans fail to appreciate, one that doesn't do anything spectacular but is very tidy in possesion, and allows the rest of the team to express itself. A Petrov, Westwood, Whelan type. Edit: I'm basing this from a four minute video of him

Hope he is more a Kanté or Makalele type

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'm torn.

This is likely true for most of our players, with or without buy back clauses.

• Like 1

Lads, Dean Smith's only job this year is to keep us up.

Shut up with the "oh we might lose him" nonsense, yiz sound like a bunch of heartbroken teenage girls.

Getting him is great news.

• Like 4

Â