Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Funnily enough I watched the Arsenal away game last night.  Engels was a complete calamity. All over the shop and gave away the dumbest of dumb penalties. 

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Funnily enough I watched the Arsenal away game last night.  Engels was a complete calamity. All over the shop and gave away the dumbest of dumb penalties. 

for the calamaties you mention, i also think at time he looked very good (earlier in the season), considering he was absent for probably half the season, i do wonder if another 6 months or so might help him adjust and he might end up proving a very good signing?

Maybe im being overly hopeful, and i know he made some mistakes, but im also sure i have seen some things from him that make me think he could be a success.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mings wasn't great for the second either. That was when Guendouzi was just running through our midfield even though we had an extra man.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the rumour was that it was about the team reverting to a back 3 earlier in the season, story goes that Engels didnt like it and wanted to remain with a back 2 (seems a strange thing to fall out over though).

regardless, he missed some games apparently due to this fallout, then he was reselected but then got injured, which led to effectively missing the rest of the season.

A lot of perople seems to equate his long absence to the fallout, but from what it appears, maybe 30 % of it was the "fallout", or whatever happened, but the rest of the absence was effectively injury related.

His mid season absence was certainly due to something behind the scenes. It went from him and Mings being the regular combination to suddenly him not even making the bench and Hause starting games for 3 weeks until Mings recovered from injury and returned at Burnley.

I get the feeling he's in the camp of we'll sell if we get an acceptable bid and will remain as cover until that happens. Certainly no point in just loaning him out.

Edit: From what I saw in the first 10 games there's a good defender there, think it's a case of does he really want to be here and get a clean slate.

Edited by VillaChris

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His mid season absence was certainly due to something behind the scenes. It went from him and Mings being the regular combination to suddenly him not even making the bench and Hause starting games for 3 weeks until Mings recovered from injury and returned at Burnley.

I get the feeling he's in the camp of we'll sell if we get an acceptable bid and will remain as cover until that happens. Certainly no point in just loaning him out.

Edit: From what I saw in the first 10 games there's a good defender there, think it's a case of does he really want to be here and get a clean slate.

Where did that rumour of a fallout ever come from though? 
Let’s not forget around the same time Martinez said he wasn’t called up to the national squad as wasn’t fully fit. 

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Where did that rumour of a fallout ever come from though? 
Let’s not forget around the same time Martinez said he wasn’t called up to the national squad as wasn’t fully fit. 

He played v Southampton at home, Shane Long burnt him alive for pace. Then not even involved for next 3 league games and then started v Fulham in the cup where all the fringe players started. Then came on v Bournemouth on 1st Feb at half time. No injury reported during that time unlike during lockdown.

He certainly suddenly fell out of favour for whatever reason given Chester was making the bench ahead of him in that period.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He played v Southampton at home, Shane Long burnt him alive for pace. Then not even involved for next 3 league games and then started v Fulham in the cup where all the fringe players started. Then came on v Bournemouth on 1st Feb at half time. No injury reported during that time unlike during lockdown.

He certainly suddenly fell out of favour for whatever reason given Chester was making the bench ahead of him in that period.

Chester played in the FA Cup game versus Fulham and was told by Smith that he was our best player on the pitch. Maybe Engels just fell down the picking order due to form?

We looked a lot more solid as a unit after the break and I wonder if that would work in Engels favour. Early on in the season we could've had Ferdinand and Vidic at the back and we still would've been exposed with how we were playing.

Looked a good player early doors. Great in the air, positioning decent - was always there to win headers ball was like a magnet. Had a good pace in him too.

I suppose he wasnt getting exposed. I think if you played anyone at centre back during with the midfield the way it was then they would have got rinsed.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

looking through the pre-season teams he doesnt seem to be playing either, its quite worrying about his injury at this stage

We should definitely buy a centre back for numbers even if fans do like him. I do not.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, thunderball said:

What’s the story here? If it’s a fall out (as is likely), they have kept quiet. But he is as good as useless at the moment, can the club rely on him this season?

Yeah, I was thinking this. 

I think he'll be gone and we'll get a new central defender in. Something has gone on. 

• Like 1

Â