Björn Engels

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

When Smith was asked about injury update pre Arsenal game he never mentioned Engels.

I don't think the coaching staff belive he is good enough and I don't think he's injured.

I think he is good enough, he was brilliant at the start of the season but had a dip in form near the end of the season. I believe that he can get back to the level he was at, at the start of the season. I think that it is worth remembering that every player has a dip in form, it is how the recover from that dip that defines and moulds them as a player

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he is good enough, he was brilliant at the start of the season but had a dip in form near the end of the season. I believe that he can get back to the level he was at, at the start of the season. I think that it is worth remembering that every player has a dip in form, it is how the recover from that dip that defines and moulds them as a player

FACT CHECK

He played 2.5 games since Xmas. 

I actually don't disagree with you looks like a decent player but obviously did something really wrong behind the scenes. 

Think you are stretching the use of the word "end" there though!

18 minutes ago, villaglint said:

FACT CHECK

He played 2.5 games since Xmas. 

I actually don't disagree with you looks like a decent player but obviously did something really wrong behind the scenes. 

Think you are stretching the use of the word "end" there though!

Is that all he’s played since Xmas? I didn’t realise it was so little. Hopefully, the Summer break will allow him to return to the level he was at at the start of the season. I remember Spurs away fondly, he was magnificent (I am aware it was only one match)

16 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

He clocked 22.9mph  , which for a while was the fourth fastest time of any player this season   ... Tbf it doesn’t say if it took him 20 mins to get upto that speed but it does suggest he’s quicker than people think .

go back to about November and there was generally nothing but praise for hi.  ... something then obviously happened , could have been the alleged questioning of Smiths tactics , could have been injury but for a while he looked a player ... remains to be seen if he can get back to the player he started out as 

He's slow off the blocks, like very slow. Like I said, Shane Long who's no spring chicken absolutely smoked him at Villa Park. There's no point getting to a high top speed if it takes forever to get there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think his lack of pace is a big, big issue.

Agreed. I've said it before, but you have to be an unbelievable footballer at this level to get by without absolutely zero pace.
He is actually a decent footballer but I can't see him being a success being as slow as he is. 

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think his lack of pace is a big, big issue.

Agree, his lack of acceleration over short distances and agility means he will always struggle in the PL against nippy forwards.

People really are forgetting how good he was at the beginning of the season. He was outstanding. Everyone single one of our players bar Grealish has had multiple shocking games this season yet he is getting written off because of a lack of pace. There's many proven examples of top centre halves in this league not being particularly quick. The Soton game gets brought up but the whole team were at sea defensively and it showed again a week later against Watford when he wasn't involved but we were just as hapless.

I'd put his best performances match up there with any of our signings and he was on the verge of getting into the Belgium side. As much as Konsa impressed me towards the end of the season I can see Engels getting back in alongside Mings.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Perhaps he will Bjorn again for next season....

I will get my coat.

I come here to discuss all things villa.

but I stay for the puns 

• Thanks 1

Could his acceleration not be improved by intense sprint training?

Aside from pace I really think he is a very good footballer.

I'm also still obsessed with turning one of our CB's into the DM we've been missing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's slow off the blocks, like very slow. Like I said, Shane Long who's no spring chicken absolutely smoked him at Villa Park. There's no point getting to a high top speed if it takes forever to get there.

There's no point using duff information as your point of reference either :P

At the time of publication ,   the image shows Shane Long  was  recorded as the third fastest sprinter in the league this season v Engles  9th

the recently revised list yesterday(listed below)  , using mph instead of Km/h , shows that officially in the sprint stakes Shane Long was the 8th fastest player in the premier league this season 

Here is the list in full:

10. Phil Foden (23.07mph vs Aston Villa on October 26)

9. Fred (23.17mph vs Everton on December 15)

8. Shane Long (23.21mph vs Newcastle on December 😎

7. Ainsley Maitland-Niles (23.27mph vs Manchester City on December 15)

6. Caglar Soyuncu (23.33mph vs Crystal Palace on November 3)

5. Aaron Wan-Bissaka (23.36mph vs West Ham on November 3)

4. Trezeguet (23.36mph vs Liverpool on July 5)

3. Mason Greenwood (23.36mph vs Everton on March 1)

2. Adama Traore (23.48mph vs Chelsea on July 26)

1. Kyle Walker (23.49 vs Chelsea on June 25)

fast.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

There's no point using duff information as your point of reference either :P

At the time of publication ,   the image shows Shane Long  was  recorded as the third fastest sprinter in the league this season v Engles  9th

the recently revised list yesterday(listed below)  , using mph instead of Km/h , shows that officially in the sprint stakes Shane Long was the 8th fastest player in the premier league this season 

Here is the list in full:

10. Phil Foden (23.07mph vs Aston Villa on October 26)

9. Fred (23.17mph vs Everton on December 15)

8. Shane Long (23.21mph vs Newcastle on December 😎

7. Ainsley Maitland-Niles (23.27mph vs Manchester City on December 15)

6. Caglar Soyuncu (23.33mph vs Crystal Palace on November 3)

5. Aaron Wan-Bissaka (23.36mph vs West Ham on November 3)

4. Trezeguet (23.36mph vs Liverpool on July 5)

3. Mason Greenwood (23.36mph vs Everton on March 1)

2. Adama Traore (23.48mph vs Chelsea on July 26)

1. Kyle Walker (23.49 vs Chelsea on June 25)

fast.jpg

It doesn't say the distance covered for these measurements? How long did it take for them to reach those speeds etc? I don't deny that he could hit a high top speed. Same goes for Wesley. Acceleration is a different matter though.

I'm just using my eyes. Either his reaction times are slow or his acceleration is as he is regularly left behind by strikers. Compare him to Mings who is the opposite and uses his pace to get ahead of attackers and put in tackles etc. 

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It doesn't say the distance covered for these measurements? How long did it take for them to reach those speeds etc? I don't deny that he could hit a high top speed. Same goes for Wesley. Acceleration is a different matter though.

I'm just using my eyes. Either his reaction times are slow or his acceleration is as he is regularly left behind by strikers. Compare him to Mings who is the opposite and uses his pace to get ahead of attackers and put in tackles etc. 

They say a man can outrun a horse over 50m.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. I've said it before, but you have to be an unbelievable footballer at this level to get by without absolutely zero pace.
He is actually a decent footballer but I can't see him being a success being as slow as he is. 

Obvious the reason why he has never made a Belgium squad too. I'd be happy enough letting him go and replacing him with a decent championship centre half to provide cover for/compete with Konsa. I mentioned Darragh Lenihan at Blackburn who would be ideal and cheap. Save the big money for the forwards.

• Like 1

He only really struggled in a back 3, thought the Spurs game was worse as all they did for was ping long balls over the top for Son, Moura and Alli to run onto and resulted in the penalty Engles conceded on halftime (which wasn't a clear and obvious error btw but of course VAR chose to overturn that one....)

In a back 4 for first three months I thought he was pretty good aside from struggling at Arsenal and Man. City second half but then many good CBs struggled v those teams. Him and Mings had a good thing going on, Mings going for the headers and Engels dropping off. Then Mings got injured v Leicester and we were never the same defensively until these last five games.

I just think that's a little more in this than him losing form and think we'll cash in if we get a decent offer.

22 hours ago, villalad21 said:

When Smith was asked about injury update pre Arsenal game he never mentioned Engels.

I don't think the coaching staff belive he is good enough and I don't think he's injured.

He was not injured anymore but had not had time to get fit so was left out of the restart matches. We will have to wait and see where he fits in when next season starts. 

Engels is good. Very good in the air and nit easy to get last. If hw has pace he would be a 40m cb easy 

I dont think smith rates him that highly. I woukdnt be suprised if we sold him this summer

Â