Björn Engels

Delphinho123

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Smith saying its a long term injury he has. Included him with Wesley and Heaton 

i call BS on this. come on AVFC, we wern't Bjorn again yesterday

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Maybe it’s a smokescreen and he doesn’t want to play currently due to coronavirus as his absence has been flooded over somewhat. 

He has been making videos on the clubs YouTube channel recently 

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 04:18, PieFacE said:

Yeah the whole Engles thing is weird. We've looked at our best imo with him and Mings playing together at the back. Feels like something has happened behind the scenes with Engles.

Think there may be some truth in this, perhaps hes just not a good team fit, wouldn’t be at all surprised if he moved on next transfer window.

On 04/07/2020 at 21:18, PieFacE said:

Yeah the whole Engles thing is weird. We've looked at our best imo with him and Mings playing together at the back. Feels like something has happened behind the scenes with Engles.

12 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Think there may be some truth in this, perhaps hes just not a good team fit, wouldn’t be at all surprised if he moved on next transfer window.

It appears he has had a long standing niggling injury, which is now a long term injury, so that seems be be the biggest issue.

Yeah it seems there was some issue months ago with Smith, but he has played since then and the absence currently is due to injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Björn the enigma. I wonder if he will stay? He did show some great glimpses at the start and I hope we’ve al learned by now that players deserve a chance to move here, settle in and prove themselves. I’d like to see him given a chance but he seems to be in the Helenius/Kalinin mould of mysterious disappearances. 

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Ah Björn the enigma. I wonder if he will stay? He did show some great glimpses at the start and I hope we’ve al learned by now that players deserve a chance to move here, settle in and prove themselves. I’d like to see him given a chance but he seems to be in the Helenius/Kalinin mould of mysterious disappearances. 

I really want to know what happened, there was talk of a row with Smith wasn't there? Or him doing something far enough out of order to get told to go and sort his head out?

He did have the odd howler, but he also looked like a pretty tidy "clean shorts" type of centre half who could get himself in the right places at the right times with minimal fuss.

• Like 1

yes he had a run in at some point with Smith, but that was all sorted afaik, and he has played since those issues, the reason he has been missing since the restart is entirely down to injury afaik.

I think he is a good defender, who made some mistakes, but will improve with more premiership experience, we should 100% keep him, and he can fight with Konsa for the right CB slot.

honestly, i think our 4 CB's are probably the strongest depth area on our team currently, any money we have really needs to be spent strengthening and adding depth to other core area's of the squad, at least in this window.

we desperately need a couple of midfielders, a couple of wingers and a striker as a minimum (maybe even a GK if heaton doesnt make the early season), i wouldn't even be thinking about new central defenders until those positions are sorted, and tbh after that i would concentrate on fullbacks to challenge targett/guilbert before looking at CBs.

• Like 2

Only mistake off the top of my head is the clanger against Spurs at home, the penalty against Arsenal which was a dive imo, and giving acres of space to get smoked by Shane Long at VP. Konsa made more after the lockdown alone tbf. I'd keep him for next season. He'd probably look better under our new defensive structure and his lack of acceleration won't be as exposed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Only mistake off the top of my head is the clanger against Spurs at home, the penalty against Arsenal which was a dive imo, and giving acres of space to get smoked by Shane Long at VP. Konsa made more after the lockdown alone tbf. I'd keep him for next season. He'd probably look better under our new defensive structure and his lack of acceleration won't be as exposed.

He clocked 22.9mph  , which for a while was the fourth fastest time of any player this season   ... Tbf it doesn’t say if it took him 20 mins to get upto that speed but it does suggest he’s quicker than people think .

go back to about November and there was generally nothing but praise for hi.  ... something then obviously happened , could have been the alleged questioning of Smiths tactics , could have been injury but for a while he looked a player ... remains to be seen if he can get back to the player he started out as 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

I really want to know what happened, there was talk of a row with Smith wasn't there? Or him doing something far enough out of order to get told to go and sort his head out?

He did have the odd howler, but he also looked like a pretty tidy "clean shorts" type of centre half who could get himself in the right places at the right times with minimal fuss.

The rumour was he had a falling out with DS just after the Southampton home game as he didn't like us switching to a back 3 and it exposing him. He went from being first choice to not even making the bench  for a few weeks and Hause went from being out of 18 to first team regular from that point onwards.

He then had that shocker v Spurs but I thought he played well in the cup final.

Could well be ones of those we look at in a few years and think we should've handled things a little better. I suspect he'll be off.

I think he has a lot of good attributes and I really want to like him I just can’t get away from how slow he is.

No matter how well he does in a game, a quick striker could burn past him at any moment and we’d be bang in trouble. 

If he goes, I wouldn’t be upset. 

When Smith was asked about injury update pre Arsenal game he never mentioned Engels.

I don't think the coaching staff belive he is good enough and I don't think he's injured.

Edited by villalad21

He started the season looking amazing. Read the game well and composed on the ball. But I think the southampton game really showed him up and I'd imagine his confidence took a big knock. His error at spurs was terrible. 

Good squad player to have though, we shouldn't be looking to move him on.

• Like 1

Â