Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Think there's some promise with him to be honest. Barring that horrible mistake against Spurs he's had a pretty solid season. His lack of pace is a major concern but his reading of the game and ability to make a last ditch tackle negate the concern somewhat.

Could be really good in a better team.

I see a number of posts mention his lack of pace yet he has the joint fourth recorded sprint speed with Kyle Walker this season of 22.9mph 🤔🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Kyle Walker was joint fourth along with Aston Villa defender Bjorn Engels - the pair were each recorded as running at 22.9mph this season.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/revealed-six-fastest-players-premier-league

He played well yesterday and if Smith prefers a left and right foot combo in a 4 then he’s ahead of Konsa. Although I would prefer Hause and Mings, as both faster/stronger and better in the air. 

As others have said it’s not much use having a fast top speed if it takes 30 yards to get upto pace. I suspect those top speed stats are players chasing 30/40 yards without the ball, so it won’t be a full sample size of all PL players top speeds either.

Apparently Engels hasn’t played with Mings in a 4 since the Liverpool 1-2 home game. It seems he’ll get his chance now to re-establish that partnership. Although next game against Leicester and Vardy, albeit Engels and Mings weren’t on the pitch at the same time in that home game.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

That's ridiculous. You only have to watch him to know this isn't right. 

I can see him hitting a high top speed. Kinda like how Wesley has a high speed over long distances. But they're both so slow off the blocks that it doesn't really matter. The player's already past you by the time you hit that 22 mph :lol:

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can see him hitting a high top speed. Kinda like how Wesley has a high speed over long distances. But they're both so slow off the blocks that it doesn't really matter. The player's already past you by the time you hit that 22 mph :lol:

Yep watch the footage of Usain Bolt playing football in Australia. He doesn't look particularly fast either, because he never gets a chance to build up to top speed. Football isn't a game for tall 100m sprinters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Random question - is Mingels the tallest regular/semi-regular CB pairing in the league?

Probably in terms of actual regular pairings, yes, but there are a couple others that are worth mentioning:

• Matip (6'5) and Van Dijk (6'4)
  • Dan Burn (6'7!!), Lewis Dunk (6'4), Shane Duffy (6'4) have played as a back 3 I think.

Liverpool and Brighton are the teams that sprung to mind, there must be a couple others.

(Edit: makes you wonder why we've left Guilbert picking up Rodri 🤦‍♂️)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Probably in terms of actual regular pairings, yes, but there are a couple others that are worth mentioning:

• Matip (6'5) and Van Dijk (6'4)
  • Dan Burn (6'7!!), Lewis Dunk (6'4), Shane Duffy (6'4) have played as a back 3 I think.

Liverpool and Brighton are the teams that sprung to mind, there must be a couple others.

Dan Burn has been a left back mostly which is a bit mad.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2020 at 08:33, LondonVillian said:

Engels had a solid game would rather continue with him and mings as the CB pairing.

yeah i think for now i'm done with hause and konsa. those 2 were class in the first quarter of the season then something went wrong with engels. rumours of a bust up, and a couple of poor performances sent him to 4th choice.

i've not given up on konsa or hause, but mingels for the rest of the season please

19 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

It's the acceleration that kills him. His speed is not too bad but he's already losing a few yards getting up to pace.

He is a sound defender and football player but you are correct, I'd instruct him to stay deeper than the rest.

Surely pace/acceleration is something which can be worked on though? Obviously you can't make anyone Usain Bolt, but with modern training, focusing on explosiveness and fast twitch muscles etc, surely we can get him quicker somewhat? (Physical and genetic makeup obviously play a part but...)

I think Jack has gotten quicker over the years myself, but you can tell he beasts it in the gym.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He is a sound defender and football player but you are correct, I'd instruct him to stay deeper than the rest.

Surely pace/acceleration is something which can be worked on though? Obviously you can't make anyone Usain Bolt, but with modern training, focusing on explosiveness and fast twitch muscles etc, surely we can get him quicker somewhat? (Physical and genetic makeup obviously play a part but...)

I think Jack has gotten quicker over the years myself, but you can tell he beasts it in the gym.

The problem is Smith likes to play a high line so he has to push up with the rest of the back 4. 

I think when he is alongside Mings it’s not to bad as he has the positioning and pace to cover Engles if needed. When Mings isn’t on the pitch the ball Over the top does Engles  time and time again. The home games v Leicester and Spurs being the obvious example.

So in a nutshell Engles can only really start alongside Mings if we are going to play a high line.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Did no one scout this guy and think athleticism might be an issue? 

I liked it when he gave the ball away and then fell over because his body couldn't turn fast enough. 

Never a premier league player. 

• Haha 1

Â