Björn Engels

Delphinho123

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Definitely wasn't. Took the man, then luckily made contact with the ball.

He was sliding alongside the attacker (not through), who started to go down before the minor contact was made.

It's the type of foul that Grealish buys all over the pitch, and opposition fans moan about, but one that, when inside the box, is often not given.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He was sliding alongside the attacker (not through), who started to go down before the minor contact was made.

It's the type of foul that Grealish buys all over the pitch, and opposition fans moan about, but one that, when inside the box, is often not given.

This!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

He cost 7 million quid ffs, of course he's going to make a few mistakes here and there.

For my money, it was only one yesterday - for the winner - as the pen was a ridiculously harsh call and could have happened to tons of good CBs. 

I notice a pattern emerging across all threads concerning the players we signed in the summer. 
'He only cost X for **** sake, what do you expect?' 

Personally, I expect better than what I saw yesterday but hey ho, I suppose we all have different expectations. 

• Like 4

I like Bjorn.

Think he was good yesterday but yes the one at the end is just death. Don't know what he was doing. Spurs had given up and were not even pushing. Gutting.

I'd start him next game, if Mings is fit I'd obviously bring him back but I'd drop Hause.

Funnily enough the guy Reims brought into the side to replace him, Axel Disasi, is some player. We should try get him in the summer.

It wasn’t a clear and obvious pen from the referees angle in real time .. slowed down from side angle  he took the man but the ball so **** knows with VAR as it wasn’t a clear and obvious referee error and I thought that what it was actually for. But if it was against us and I saw the replay I’d be saying pen and would be livid if not given so can’t have it both ways.

Whatever the reason was behind his absence  coupled With this I hope it doesn’t ruin his confidence as we desperately need him back to how he was the 1st games of the season where for me he outshone Mings. 

Edited by thabucks

8 hours ago, Rob182 said:

He did make contact but he slid on a straight line like you said. It was very minimal contact and if the ref gives that then shouldn't he give a pen every time a corner goes into the box and a defending player leans on the attacking player before making the clearing header? It was a bullshit decision. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Villarocker said:

He did make contact but he slid on a straight line like you said. It was very minimal contact and if the ref gives that then shouldn't he give a pen every time a corner goes into the box and a defending player leans on the attacking player before making the clearing header? It was a bullshit decision. 

McGinn’s foot, leg and waist were clattered into by Sissokho in the penalty box, side by side, in the reverse fixture. We got nothing for that. That foul was with ten times the force that Engels used, but nothing given.

Like others have said, it’s a foul, but it’s a foul that’s given everywhere on the pitch except for in the box. 

• Like 1

Engels or any other defender shouldn't be in the position having to make last ditch tackles all the time. If our midfield offered more protection and we had a actual defensive midfielder, I think we would be  a lot more solid regardless who is playing in defence.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Engels or any other defender shouldn't be in the position having to make last ditch tackles all the time. If our midfield offered more protection and we had a actual defensive midfielder, I think we would be  a lot more solid regardless who is playing in defence.

To be fair to Spurs they have very dangerous and quick wingers. It's their strength. I'm not sure a DM could have done much to stop them there (apart from obviously hassling away some through balls).

• Like 1

bottom line is if there was no VAR then that penalty was never going to be given. I was surprised it even went to VAR there was such a lack of appeal. 

Although technically right, I hate everything about VAR. I miss the smart players getting away with the dark arts of the game - that is a skill in itself and developed through experience and adversity. I hate how the game slows down and we wait for some goblins in a cave somewhere determining the fate of the game. I hate how the referee must rely on this and not use his instinct which includes feeling the tone and tempo of the game or the emotions of the players. I hate that the biggest cheers or boos come from 40,000 people looking at a graphic on a screen for the VAR result. I hate not celebrating a goal 100% when the goal is scored in case VAR has a shit fit about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

To be fair to Spurs they have very dangerous and quick wingers. It's their strength. I'm not sure a DM could have done much to stop them there (apart from obviously hassling away some through balls).

This. The pace of Lucas, Son and Bergwijn was just scary.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I notice a pattern emerging across all threads concerning the players we signed in the summer. 
'He only cost X for **** sake, what do you expect?' 

Personally, I expect better than what I saw yesterday but hey ho, I suppose we all have different expectations. 

Samatta looks a bargain at 8.5 mill to be fair.

So I do agree it is not necessarily a valid argument.

Probably someone like Bastos would be valid though.

I feel a bit sorry for Engels as to me, he looked very good at the beginning of the season.

Was out of the first team for quite a while, and could have been rusty/nervous.

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I feel a bit sorry for Engels as to me, he looked very good at the beginning of the season.

Was out of the first team for quite a while, and could have been rusty/nervous.

I’m sure his 25 grand a week (or whatever he’s on) will keep him warm at night. Yes we all feel sorry for him but he’s a professional footballer. I won’t feel too much sympathy for him if we go down.

Â