Björn Engels

Delphinho123

I think Engels was somewhat of an odd signing. If true that he was scouted at Brentford, he was scouted for a mid table Championship team with the hope of developing him. Not the ready made Premier League CB we needed or still need. There was also some doubts, not really rated at international level, went to Greece but didn't play much, then on loan to a mid table French team and did ok. Although being tall he looked very thin with question marks over how he would cope in the PL or if his body would cope with a PL season.

When he has played for us I think he has looked like a very intelligent player, reading the game well, good positioning and good passing. He didn't seem to be bullied the way I had feared either. Problem is he is slow on the turn and with the mistakes he did it's a question mark over how well he adapts to the pace and intensity.

Would be interesting to know if something has been going on behind the scenes that we dont't know, something doesn't sit right.

Could be as easy as that he is injury prone and doesn't come back to full fitness before the next injury comes along. Anyhow we need a new reliable PL standard CB.

• Like 1

Fair enough that everyone has their own opinions on players. For me, him and Konsa are pretty equivalent as the #2 CB behind Mings. 

I just don't see the need to let him go because then we will have to go out and get another cb for cover which will hurt us FFP wise. 

11 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Do they think Hause is better? I cannot believe that.

Hause gets a lot of stick on here, but statistically, he's the best of our lot.

WhoScored.com Ratings are based on a unique, comprehensive statistical algorithm, calculated live during the game. There are over 200 raw statistics included in the calculation of a player'’s/team’'s rating, weighted according to their influence within the game. Every event of importance is taken into account, with a positive or negative effect on ratings weighted in relation to its area on the pitch and its outcome.

An example: An attempted dribble (event) in the opposition’s final third (area of pitch) that is successful (outcome) will have a positive effect on a player's rating. Ratings that are flashing show that an event influencing said rating has just occurred. Green indicates an increase, while red indicates a decrease in rating.

Whoscored.jpg

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Engels should never play again after Spurs

Don't think you can judge a player from one bad game, it would be great if you could but you can't. Anyway our alternative is Hause who who for me has consistently shown his great athleticism and his complete lack of football ability on every occasion I have seen him play. There is another issue with Engel's is my conclusion. 

• Like 2

Just now, tinker said:

Don't think you can judge a player from one bad game, it would be great if you could but you can't. Anyway our alternative is Hause who who for me has consistently shown his great athleticism and his complete lack of football ability on every occasion I have seen him play. There is another issue with Engel's is my conclusion. 

What's the goal count for Mings calamity kicks and such?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's not based from one bad game.

As people have rightfully pointed out. His lack of pace means he will be left for dead if he does a mistake with no chance in catching up.

Engels is simply a very bad fit in this league.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What's the goal count for Mings calamity kicks and such?

Not sure but it doesn't stick out as much as Hause's.

Watched many CB with no pace , the best I have ever seen could be described as being slow but his reading of the game was 1st class.

I'm not saying Engles is without his faults , there just not as bad as Hause's. Just watch him on the ball hes dreadful.

1 minute ago, tinker said:

I'm not saying Engles is without his faults , there just not as bad as Hause's. Just watch him on the ball hes dreadful.

Agreed. Engels is twice the player of Hause. 

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I think that there's more to Engel's situation than meets the eye. I just think that the club want rid for more reasons than is ability. 

Hope we get in another CB soon.

Hause and Engels as back ups concerns me big time.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hope we get in another CB soon.

Hause and Engels as back ups concerns me big time.

Same here. Engels started off promisingly but then showed that the pace of the league was way too fast for him. I think Hause is the better of the two because he can also play left back and right centre back so offers more. 

I'd prefer to but a new starting centre back who can play either side. 

47 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's not based from one bad game.

As people have rightfully pointed out. His lack of pace means he will be left for dead if he does a mistake with no chance in catching up.

Engels is simply a very bad fit in this league.

Yeah that makes total sense... oh just one thing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/news/revealed-six-fastest-players-premier-league

• Like 1

Â