Björn Engels

Delphinho123

Smith confirmed he's missing out due to selection choices, nothing else.

Surprised tbh. He's better than Chester for me. Doesn't bode well for his future that a chap we'll probably be releasing is ahead of him.

I would guess he'll play v Leicester with Mings protected...? It's a big game but we're in the position now I can't see us getting a league point if Mings isn't there.

my mate, who has been incredibly unreliable with info in the past, says he heard of a bust up with smith + terry. while normally i wouldn't believe a word he says, it would explain his absence

• Haha 2

I don’t agree with freezing players out. It’s the job of the manager to deal with issues and move on. He doesn’t come across as a real bad egg so Dean needs to deal with whatever has happened and move on. He is a valuable asset whose value will just decrease by the week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t agree with freezing players out. It’s the job of the manager to deal with issues and move on. He doesn’t come across as a real bad egg so Dean needs to deal with whatever has happened and move on. He is a valuable asset whose value will just decrease by the week.

You don't know there's been an issue and Chester is a decent CB too. Only one of them makes the bench. Up to a few weeks ago was Hause frozen out or did he just not make the bench? Was Targett frozen out at the start of the season or did he just not make the bench? Is Jota frozen out or is he just not making the bench?

• Like 2

There is no conspiracy here. Frankly I didn’t see any stand out performances early in the season that he is some incredible CB. He looked OK but nothing more, we were conceding for fun when he was playing. 

He played against Fulham so hasn’t been frozen out. Despite still conceding too many the defence doesn’t seem as vulnerable (Man C apart) with the new structure/personnel.

Chester has also played in a back 3 before regularly and as club captain seems a reasonable selection as a sub over Engels.

To me it's obvious. Engels is a good passer and positionally excellent, but he is slow and has the turning circle of a bus. All opponents need to do is get a quick player to run at him.  He's been exposed!

A shame as I like him. His distribution is the best of our centre backs.

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

You don't know there's been an issue and Chester is a decent CB too. Only one of them makes the bench. Up to a few weeks ago was Hause frozen out or did he just not make the bench? Was Targett frozen out at the start of the season or did he just not make the bench? Is Jota frozen out or is he just not making the bench?

He is better than all other CB’s excluding Mings. He is way better than Chester. 
Target was not fit so didn’t play.

Jota is not good enough.

Neither of those apply to Engels

Think he'd do well in the back 3, wouldn't expose the lack of space so much (indeed it wasn't a huge problem while Mings was fit before xmas).

Get the feeling DS has lost confidence in him since the Southampton game. Hopefully we'll see him v some of the better attacks as always feels in those games Konsa and Hause are walking errors.

Â