Björn Engels

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I’m sure Smith is of a different opinion, but I’d prefer to swap the natural left footed Hause for the (imo) better defender and better passer in Engels.

It would mean we’d have a right-footer either side of Mings, but I don’t care. I think Engels is streets ahead of Hause.

No one wins as many aerials as Hause we need him for that and left foot out ball. I'll take Smith decision over Engels fans

Just checked the chances conceded central and left in last 8 Hause has started compared to previous 8. Down considerably. Chances conceded on left almost halved 27 vs 52

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's amazing how much better players become when they've been stuck on the bench for a while.

It’s amazing that we spent £10m+ on an experienced defender who is worse than a young £3m Wolves reject.

I stand by my opinion that Engels is a better defender than Hause, and it’s nothing to do with Engel’s period of absence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

No one wins as many aerials as Hause we need him for that and left foot out ball. I'll take Smith decision over Engels fans

Just checked the chances conceded central and left in last 8 Hause has started compared to previous 8. Down considerably. Chances conceded on left almost halved 27 vs 52

I think it’s fair to assume you generally concede less chances when you have a extra CB in the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

It’s amazing that we spent £10m+ on an experienced defender who is worse than a young £3m Wolves reject.

I stand by my opinion that Engels is a better defender than Hause, and it’s nothing to do with Engel’s period of absence.

I can't believe this is being posted about a player that just contributed to a vital win

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I can't believe this is being posted about a player that just contributed to a vital win

So he’s not a Wolves reject that we got for a small sum? It doesn’t make me less of a fan for stating that.

I thank him for contributing to the win, but lately I find him so frustrating to watch. I find his tackling average and his passing atrocious, despite him having aerial prowess. I have very little confidence when the ball is at his feet at the back, which is not a good thing for a team that plays how we do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are you sure about that? Pretty certain he is deliberately trying to get us relegated. Some radical on here said so and now I believe it because it is my right to hold and express unpopular opinions. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

So he’s not a Wolves reject that we got for a small sum? It doesn’t make me less of a fan for stating that.

I thank him for contributing to the win, but lately I find him so frustrating to watch. I find his tackling average and his passing atrocious, despite him having aerial prowess. I have very little confidence when the ball is at his feet at the back, which is not a good thing for a team that plays how we do.

The highlighted part is true, but it is not a relevant point when discussing who should start between him and Engels. Finding cheap rejects that can actually step up for us is a good thing for the club and can hardly be held against Hause.

Whether his performance justifies his continuous selection is a different discussion of course, and while I agree with to some extent about his passing I think you undervalue his contribution to our back 3. Also none of us have seen Engels on the left side of a back 3, so to claim he should start there because he cost a bit more money is a strange logic to me. 

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I can see the frustrations but I was more frustrated that we seemed to be giving the opposition a goal headstart from corners every other game and Hause has gone a long way to fixing that.  At the moment we have to play the percentages because it is so tight in and around us in the league.  Hopefully Hause will improve his passing over time as the confidence and possession of the whole team improves.  At some stage sides will probably work out a plan against our 3-4-3 formation and we go back to 4 at the back and Engels will come back in alongside Mings as they were the best two-centre half combination we have had this season.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the fact Chester was on the bench over Engels suggests there’s more to this. The club are rightly keeping quiet about it. 

Hopefully it all gets sorted as I think he’s a decent defender. 

The thing with centre halves is that it isn't always easy for them to come off the bench and perform straight away, so picking Chester for his experience and leadership isn't a bad idea.  I believe Dean said just that the other day.  I thought he looked in good shape in the games he played in the cup too.

8 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

on every thread its like someone has just got a C in their GCSE Statistics exam and is trying to demonstrate their prowess to everyone

I probably ended up cackling at that way more than I should have...

Proper tickled me!

Â