Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm amazed people are talking about selling players. We probably need to keep all of the current squad, and add to it. Only sell if we get very good offers for players, and are in a position to reinvest that money in quality in time for the start of 2020/21.

Have they changed the max squad size to more than 25? I know there's been talk about it, from fans at least but not seen anything yet.

If not then it will be difficult to sign players as we are already close to that 25 man limit.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Have they changed the max squad size to more than 25? I know there's been talk about it, from fans at least but not seen anything yet.

If not then it will be difficult to sign players as we are already close to that 25 man limit.

No, but we can loan out players if necessary, which gives us more flexibility if we're hit by an injury crisis.

I should have been a bit clearer - there are players like Sarkic and Lansbury who are unlikely to ever feature regularly, and can be offloaded.

The ones I think we should be warier about selling are the Trez, AEG, Nakamba type players who have started quite a few games, and where our backup options for that position are thin.

Fine if we line up a clear like-for-like replacement, but just selling them because they didn't make the grade last season, seems crazy to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

No, but we can loan out players if necessary, which gives us more flexibility if we're hit by an injury crisis.

I should have been a bit clearer - there are players like Sarkic and Lansbury who are unlikely to ever feature regularly, and can be offloaded.

The ones I think we should be warier about selling are the Trez, AEG, Nakamba type players who have started quite a few games, and where our backup options for that position are thin.

Fine if we line up a clear like-for-like replacement, but just selling them because they didn't make the grade last season, seems crazy to me.

Sarkic has gone FYI

• Like 2

I’d sell him now as I doubt his stock will be this high again. He’s played a significant part in keeping us up but he’ll never be Premier league quality and if we want to progress then he shouldn’t be part of the squad.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

I’d sell him now as I doubt his stock will be this high again. He’s played a significant part in keeping us up but he’ll never be Premier league quality and if we want to progress then he shouldn’t be part of the squad.

Exactly this, everyone was slating him most of the season apart from 2 games in this re-start, played well against palace Next game was awful against Everton

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

Is his stock high? He's a useful squad player, and we should only sell him if we are in a position to stack the wings with depth (which would mean signing 3 or 4 new wingers).

I completely agree we don't want him starting games regularly, but you need a squad for a season. I'm not sure offloading him in the shortest transfer window ever is a very clever idea.

• Like 1

Trezeguet suffered with the physical transition to the Premier League, as did our other foreign imports.

The "lockdown" did Villa a big favour in allowing players like Trez and Luiz to get fully up to PL pace and strength. A recent SKY "opta stats" based article at the end of the season credited Trezeguet with equal third place (level with Mason Greenwood) behind Kyle Walker and Adama Traore for fastest timed PL run. His pace in the first three quarters of the season was totally lacking, which emphasises the "physical and mental conditioning" time that players from foreign leagues may need to adjust to the PL. He contributed greatly to the eight points that we gained from our last four games which was key to our survival.

Now that Trez is fully ready for the demands of English football it doesn't make sense to consider allowing him to leave.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

tetjJCs.jpg

Flip me?!! For a second there I thought he'd gone back in time and was getting karate chopped by Bergkamp. Or Bergkamp had made a comeback. Either way I'm getting old ffs!

Nothings changed though looking at that pic. We need 2 wingers pronto. 

Â