Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

10 hours ago, Farlz said:

Silly decision with the free kick imo, just boot it up and go again. 

Unfortunately it cost us but that won't take away his overall good game, the back 3 were very good tonight. 

He'll learn from it, I'm sure. 

10 hours ago, Farlz said:

Silly decision with the free kick imo, just boot it up and go again. 

Unfortunately it cost us but that won't take away his overall good game, the back 3 were very good tonight. 

We spend most of the past 3 months booting the ball up and going again. Going again meaning defending and chasing the ball yet again.

We are absolutely abysmal at ball retention. You are 1-0 up. You slow the game down, you retain possession, you make the oppo commit. Konsa was correct and the pass was fine.

It is about time our midfield took some responsibility on the ball.

It is the worst I have ever seen. Even under Lambert we at least tried.

Yea, for him to have no options for long enough to gain a yellow is pretty shit.  Defenders do not pick up yellows for time wasting, they can't afford to with tackling being their job.

Luiz should have just one touched it back, no need for another touch there, but if he wasn't told there was a man on him, then equally, that's pretty shit too.

It was a dismal goal to concede considering, and it's not the first time we've seen players in the middle lose control of the ball, turn it over and we concede as a result.  The midfield really need to up their game and take some responsibility (minus Jack who is a God). 

I thought Ezri played really well last night on the whole.  He kept Vardy quiet and in a couple of instances even out paced him to shield the ball and win a throw in. 

Really good work 8/10 :thumb:  

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Not a PL player (yet at least). I'd like to see us go back to Mings and Engels/new signing as a partnership. They were performing well early in the season, and were just being exposed by an indisciplined midfield. If we tighten up in front of them, they're our best bet as CBs imo.

Or even keep the three but put Engels back in ahead of Konsa.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Or even keep the three but put Engels back in ahead of Konsa.

That still leaves the problem of Hause! He's even more error prone than Konsa. I may be in the minority, but I'd be happy if the Vida rumours are true. Engels/Mings, Vida/Mings, or Engels/Mings/Vida would all fill me with more confidence than the current backline.

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

That still leaves the problem of Hause! He's even more error prone than Konsa. I may be in the minority, but I'd be happy if the Vida rumours are true. Engels/Mings, Vida/Mings, or Engels/Mings/Vida would all fill me with more confidence than the current backline.

As others have said against hooftball teams Hause is actually a decent player to have. Trouble is there isn't that many teams of that ilk in the league.

I don’t blame Konsa today. Any CB would have had a mare today, the way we were set up and with a non-existent midfield in front of them who seemed more worried about scuffing their boots.

There are much bigger problems in the squad than Konsa.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

culpable for the goal against Leicester

BS he was. No one but Luiz is at fault for him having touch of a rapist then dawdling back to recover. Also classic Villa forum post that players get better the longer out of team. Seen it for years

I'm certainly not saying he's our biggest problem; nor am I writing him off. Hause, Drinkwater, Taylor, and Hourihane to name just 4 were worse than him today. That said, for me, all but Mings and Grealish from today's team are below the standard required, and anywhere we can improve we should endeavour to do so. Arsenal and Southampton aside, I think Engels has been one of our better performers, and I'd have him back in personally.

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

BS he was. No one but Luiz is at fault for him having touch of a rapist then dawdling back to recover. Also classic Villa forum post that players get better the longer out of team. Seen it for years

Obviously Luiz was to blame, but it was a hospital pass from Konsa. Not sure how you can't see that. Watford's opener was another Konsa howler IIRC. I'm not saying Engels is amazing, but he's made fewer errors than Konsa for sure.

8 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Obviously Luiz was to blame, but it was a hospital pass from Konsa. Not sure how you can't see that. Watford's opener was another Konsa howler IIRC. I'm not saying Engels is amazing, but he's made fewer errors than Konsa for sure.

Pass was fine Luiz showed for it and made dogs dinner of first touch

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pass was fine Luiz showed for it and made dogs dinner of first touch

Just because someone shows for it doesn't mean the pass is on, particularly given the context of that game, where our defensive organisation was good and the last thing we needed was to lose the ball in our own half and allow Leicester to transition while we were out of position. 

Either way, the Leicester goal was a more minor Konsa error with Luiz taking most of the blame. It's when you add the poor displays/costly mistakes against Watford, Burnley and Man City into the equation that I would rather have Engels (or a new signing) in the team.

Â