Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

**** the albion, shit on the city, we all hate blue scum etc are neither funny nor clever, but they're not meant to be...they're just chants aimed to our rivals and are part and parcel of the modern game. the konsa chant carries a racial undertone and many are rightly working hard to eliminate these from the game.

so, i couldnt disagree with you more, it's 100x more moronic than **** the albion

I just don't get singing about clubs when we are not playing them. 

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

The only way the chant would even work is if it was common knowledge that he loved to party aka McCormack AND if it was common knowledge he had a massive dick aka if he'd gone full Ashley Young. Without those 2 factors the whole thing just doesn't make sense. 

Someone referenced the Terry song above but it's not the same really, it's pretty common knowledge that Terry screwed around with a teammates Mrs (was he also married at the time as well?) and the chant is poking fun at that common knowledge. The Konsa one seems to be based on absolutely nothing 

i think thats what annoyed me about it first, he drinks the vodka he drinks the jager, does he? whats that based on? like I said its just based on England fans singing it about maguire, nothing else, even if the chant didn't then go on to have a racist undertone its a shit stolen chant that doesn't really work

I think this is more a silly drunk chant and less racially motivated. Nobody is saying they hate him cos he's black and is hung are they?

I can't imagine it making its way into the holte end anyway. 

Probably something to address when it actually happens during a league game, which won't happen until he's forced his way into the team. 

9 minutes ago, weedman said:

The only way the chant would even work is if it was common knowledge that he loved to party aka McCormack AND if it was common knowledge he had a massive dick aka if he'd gone full Ashley Young. Without those 2 factors the whole thing just doesn't make sense. 

Someone referenced the Terry song above but it's not the same really, it's pretty common knowledge that Terry screwed around with a teammates Mrs (was he also married at the time as well?) and the chant is poking fun at that common knowledge. The Konsa one seems to be based on absolutely nothing 

The Konsa and Terry songs are more lads in beer gardens/on trains/in stadium concourse songs, rather than actual terrace songs. A bit like German bombers with England. I'm opposite end to the holte and can sometimes hear the Terry song, but only seems like a few sing it, I may be wrong?

The f**k the Albion song was just insane in the playoff semi. Over and over again, throughout the match, easily the loudest chant.

Dont want to sound like a bore, but there's what, 5000 kids at the games, roughly? I dont want everyone sat in their seats throughout the game clapping politely, you need some banter, but the aggression and language of that song isn't right.

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think this is more a silly drunk chant and less racially motivated. Nobody is saying they hate him cos he's black and is hung are they?

I can't imagine it making its way into the holte end anyway. 

Probably something to address when it actually happens during a league game, which won't happen until he's forced his way into the team. 

You have rather missed the point, which must’ve taken some doing given how many different ways it’s been explained in the last three pages !

In our subconscious minds our players become an extension of us acting out our desire to be out there on the pitch ....  If only Dean Smith had the common sense to recognise our brilliance, give us a shirt and put us in his starting eleven.

This chant is definitely a piece of "wish fulfilment" dreamt up by a fan who gets p*ssed on half of shandy, and has a very small willy. Sorted!

If you want anything else analysed I'm here all week.😀

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

You have rather missed the point, which must’ve taken some doing given how many different ways it’s been explained in the last three pages !

Because its only meant as fun, it's not racist.

Wrong!

It doesn't matter what you intend, it's the offence that is caused which matters, so don't do it.

It's really not difficult to understand. 

• Like 2

judging by the reactions on here, i dont see it catching on. those that havent heard it before will probably just join in to the 'ezri konsa' bit then scratch their heads trying to figure out the words to the rest

37 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s not about being “PC” either, I always hate that phrase as that’s too easy to dismiss things and is used as a byword for people being over sensitive. I think fundamentally it’s about being nice to people and thinking ‘perhaps saying things about people that reinforce stereotypes isn’t a nice thing to do’. 

I’m a white male in my 30s though... I’ve had an amazingly privileged life by comparison to many, I doubt I will ever fully understand exactly how it feels to be marginalised.

That's the definition of pc. Political Correctness isn't a bad thing. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, weedman said:

Even if it made sense, based on facts, that would still offend countless people and still be, presumably, racist. Not in McCormack's case, that'd be fattest/alcoholist.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Or, you know, stick to chants that don't have racist undertones. 

Or, you know, don’t get offended by something that’s clearly not meant to be taken negatively and honestly, from what I know has no bearing on you whatsoever.

I’ve not even heard the chant, certainly haven’t sung it myself (yet) but people’s reactions to this stuff are so OTT these days.

For the record saying something is racist isn't the same as calling somebody racist. It's then up to that person to take the advice on board or not.

I guess everyone has gathered I take anti-racism pretty seriously! But there is room for nuance. I've no doubt the majority of people signing that song see nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't mean they're right about that either. We've a world of information about this stuff at our fingertips, so utilise it. 

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

This is an easy response to make, but is it actually funny singing about black guys having big dicks? Where's the actual humour? What's the point?

Yes, it is a bit funny and I’d wager that most men (of any colour) would probably find it humorous to have a bunch of people singing about your big schlong.

Its certainly a lot funnier than when we used to sing about Karen Brady almost dying.

20 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Even if it made sense, based on facts, that would still offend countless people and still be, presumably, racist. Not in McCormack's case, that'd be fattest/alcoholist.

If it's based on facts it's not racist. Being offensive to people doesn't make it racist. It's only racist because it's based on nothing more than racial stereotypes

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Or, you know, don’t get offended by something that’s clearly not meant to be taken negatively and honestly, from what I know has no bearing on you whatsoever.

I’ve not even heard the chant, certainly haven’t sung it myself (yet) but people’s reactions to this stuff are so OTT these days.

As a more general point I got beef with this opinion. 

Leaving the wider social impact alone for a second, as Villa fans we are meant to be a community. Family like in our values. Whether black, white, brown, straight, gay, male, female, trans, or whatever identity we choose. We should make strides to accommodate everyone and make them feel welcome. By disregarding oppression and the impact chants like this one can have on them you make me feel uncomfortable too fwiw. 

People who do intentionally disregard the feelings of oppressed groups should not be welcome at our club. I'm not saying you're doing that here, but I'm going to die on this hill if I have to. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So the chant has to be about me for me to be able to point out it's racist?

I agree, it's not meant to be taken negatively. I already said the people singing it don't have bad intentions.

But the chant DOES have racist undertones. And all people are saying is we probably shouldn't sing it.

I don't really see what's OTT about that.

Have you ever been to an England v Wales game or Villa vs Welsh opposition

Did you join in with the 'sheepshagger' chanting?

42 minutes ago, Dale said:

That's the definition of pc. Political Correctness isn't a bad thing. 

Exactly my point. I didn’t say it was a bad thing, just that it annoys me that people dismiss things as pc.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So the chant has to be about me for me to be able to point out it's racist?

I agree, it's not meant to be taken negatively. I already said the people singing it don't have bad intentions.

But the chant DOES have racist undertones. And all people are saying is we probably shouldn't sing it.

I don't really see what's OTT about that.

Perhaps not but nevertheless, it's somewhat funny when people get offended on others' behalves.

Particularly if the person or group of people in question do not find it offensive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â