Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 06/04/2021 at 21:35, VillaChris said:

How much did we sign Given for when he was around that age or was he a free transfer? Mind you we were a total nutcase with transfers in and out in those times.

IIRC we signed Friedel for 3m when he was about 36 so could easily get that for Heaton from a championship club.

I thought Heaton got 3 year deal but perhaps there's something in deal that means he can terminate a year early if he isn't 1st choice so goes with my best wishes.

 

 

Heaton is well above Championship standard. If he were to leave, he would have PL offers (possibly back at Burnley if they sell Pope). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, John said:

Heaton is well above Championship standard. If he were to leave, he would have PL offers (possibly back at Burnley if they sell Pope). 

Not sure about that. He is an analog keeper in a digital world. 35. 3 years now of injuries and back up. A PL club isn't coming in for him unless it is a City or Chelsea giving him 3rd choice role and a path to coaching.

If he wants to play he will have to drop a level.

 

Edit : will be 5 years since he hit 30+ appearances in a season.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2021 at 12:48, rodders0223 said:

Not sure about that. He is an analog keeper in a digital world. 35. 3 years now of injuries and back up. A PL club isn't coming in for him unless it is a City or Chelsea giving him 3rd choice role and a path to coaching.

If he wants to play he will have to drop a level.

 

Edit : will be 5 years since he hit 30+ appearances in a season.

If that's his options, then I would guess he would likely to be happy to stay where he is. Which would in my opinion, be a terrific result for us.

I still think that he is top class myself and that whilst GKs are now expected to be comfortable with the ball at their feet, there is still a place for the likes of Tom in the top flight. He's just unlucky that having left Burnley because Pope was first choice, he is now following a long term injury behind Emi in the pecking order with us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently on his way to United on a free to join the United international goalkeepers club. Only think can think of is they offered him a coaching role

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a waste but guess he's at the age now where he's happy to take one year deals to be 3rd choice at club where he might be part of winning something. Rob Green celebrating with the Chelsea team when they won europa was hilarious and there's been loads of other cases, think Scott Carson was on the bench for Man. City for one of their recent games aswell.

Amazed we spent 6m on him yet only gave two year deal unless there was a clause saying he could go for free if he was no longer first choice here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon he will want to go out with a bang in his final year or sir how long he decides to go on for.

Good keeper but can't see man u coming for him, I'd be surprised.

If he's happy enough here as a no2 then so be it keep him I say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those injuries have really cost his second half of his career. Early to mid thirties should still  probably be the peak of a goalkeeper's career but Heaton has only played 39 league games in the last 4 seasons.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we’ll sign another goalkeeper to replace him?  Or have we still got a few up our sleeve somewhere from when we signed around 5 keepers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t think English clubs were allowed to offer contracts to players from other English clubs until four weeks before their contracts expire? Unless we’ve given them permission to offer him a contract?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I wonder if we’ll sign another goalkeeper to replace him?  Or have we still got a few up our sleeve somewhere from when we signed around 5 keepers?

Kalinic is technically still our player!

It will be Emi, Steer as back up and imagine Sinsalo will come back after his loan in Scotland and join first team squad and be on bench for early rounds of cups to get him involved.

Lad we had in v Liverpool did really well so hopefully we loan him out for season to decent league club, think Jedi will be very busy this summer spinning a few loan plates for many of our young players.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

So we paid 8M for a Keeper and only signed a 2 year deal with him? Doesn't look like astute business. At least his wages will come off of our books.

So you think we should have given him a 5 year contract like Given?

Heaton was a good signing at the time, probably the best we could get. We since then bought Martinez who is better and 7 years younger.

Heaton was unlucky with the injury but sadly has been injury prone for the last few years and will not be first choice anymore. We can now get a younger keeper in instead. If his contract was longer we would be paying a first team contract for a back up goalkeeper.

A 2 year contract for a goalkeeper in his 30s with a injury record and Villa's position of trying to restablish themselves in the premier league was sensible business.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

So we paid 8M for a Keeper and only signed a 2 year deal with him? Doesn't look like astute business. At least his wages will come off of our books.

I think it’s good business. Had he signed a longer contract he’d be a very expensive number 2 keeper for another 3 years.  If he hadn’t got injured and still our number one keeper, he would have got an extension.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to him if he goes to Utd. He won't be getting in the team here and his injury may mean that his time as a number 1 is over. 

Plus he might still live up that part of the country so it's probably just a better move for everyone all round

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

So we paid 8M for a Keeper and only signed a 2 year deal with him? Doesn't look like astute business. At least his wages will come off of our books.

I think was an option for a 3rd year but no point using it for Heaton if he wont play

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bit of a waste but guess he's at the age now where he's happy to take one year deals to be 3rd choice at club where he might be part of winning something. Rob Green celebrating with the Chelsea team when they won europa was hilarious and there's been loads of other cases, think Scott Carson was on the bench for Man. City for one of their recent games aswell.

Amazed we spent 6m on him yet only gave two year deal unless there was a clause saying he could go for free if he was no longer first choice here.

Carson was on the bench in the Champions League, he will probably be again for the final 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heaton had a history of injury’s before signing with Villa so a 2 year deal was best for both parties, having started his career at Man Utd and being the age he is its a great move for him imagine his family still live in that area , Think Heaton wanted to test him self one last time unfortunately things didn’t pan out for him due to injury’s , despite having only played half a season been a good servant .

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â