Tom Heaton

midian

Has there been any news on if the club is intending to extend Reina's contract and if he is interested in doing so or if Milan would allow it?

Can't see the club starting a GK who will be here less than 2 weeks before his contract expires, 

I always imagined Reina would've been dropped for the Chelsea game given how bad he was v Leicester, think Nyland would've come in so that could happen now.

Surely Jed Steer must be fit aswell now (The Wolves game was 7 months ago) although he's unproven in the prem. Did well in the run in last season so could play that part again as unsung hero.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

From The Mirror yesterday, take it for what it is.

Aston Villa

Injured:

Wesley – ACL injury – Return date unknown – Running but still feeling pain in his knee

Tom Heaton – ACL injury – Expected return: June/July 2020 – aiming to return to full fitness ahead of league resumption

Jed Steer – Achilles injury – Return date unknown

Frederic Guilbert – Knee injury – Return date unknown

John McGinn – Knee injury – returned to light training but unlikely to be available for team selection

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-club-club-injury-22102576

• Like 1

Steer is fit again I think, I saw an interview with him. But he hasn't played regular football for over a year, so I imagine he will be very rusty. Nyland looks really good in patches but always has a clanger in him. Agree that I'd go for either over Reina, but praying Heaton will be fit and the PL will allow him an exemption to join the 25 man squad. I think they have to given the change in calendar. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

So does Peter Shilton. Doesn't mean I want the old duffer in nets.

Would take Sarkic over Reina right now.

Id take Shilton over Reina right now. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Heaton said in an interview today that it'll likely be next season before he's fit to play. 

At his age, coming back from a severe injury no way is his body going to hold up for playing 3 games a week or whatever. Would be asking for a new injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking about his career mainly, such a sensible guy. Not your usual footballer when talking. 4 or 5 minutes at the end he starts talking about Villa. He said he will be back for start of next season and thinks we should stay up

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Talking about his career mainly, such a sensible guy. Not your usual footballer when talking. 4 or 5 minutes at the end he starts talking about Villa. He said he will be back for start of next season and thinks we should stay up

I can’t wait to have him back, having stability between the sticks is so important, it breeds confidence throughout the whole team

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think he'll stay with us if we go down. Everyone thought Butland would move as soon as Stoke went down but he's still there two years on (not that his performances have warranted much interest from premier league clubs in that period).

Keeping position is little different as there's only a select number of options and hardly anything at top clubs. I doubt he'd move somewhere like Bournemouth or Watford if they stayed up at our expense when he'd just be in another relegation battle next season (while hopefully we'd get quickly back up).

Other clubs will also probably be put off by him seeming to get one bad injury a season.

Edited by VillaChris

Â