Tom Heaton

midian

Heaton has a much better chance of returning than Wesley does. Repetitive strain as a cause for injury, especially with ACL's is an issue.

Heaton don't have to use his knees all that much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 21:05, AV82 said:

.. the guy jumps for a living.

I'm talking about using your knees repetitively and covering 10km+ on average per game, as opposed to having to jump what, at most 20 times over 90 minutes?

There's a huge difference, if you're interested, because Heaton has ample time in between exerting his muscles to recover and rest, whereas an outfield player doesn't.

It's like the cartilage in your jaw which acts like a sponge, if you were to chew constantly 24/7, it would wear that sponge-like cartilage down so there would be no cushioning.

It needs time to regenerate itself again and restore itself to it's full capacity, constant pressure will mean that it remains deflated and unable to protect the bone.

In ACL injuries cartilage is often an issue, because it is the cushion between bones and acts as a support for smooth movement, if it is damaged, pain or further risk of injury occurs.

Someone like Heaton is much better placed to continue his career than an outfield player. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Heats on MOTD2.

Decent analysis of Sheffield United game.

Asked him about the injury and judging from what he's said not sure he'll make the start of next season.

Yeah, I would have expected him to miss it by a few games. 9 months from when he did it would put us about 4(?) games into a PL season or 6 or 7 (?) into a Championship one.

• 2 months later...

How highly do you rate Tom Heaton in terms of prem keepers? I think a lot of Heaton and he is definitely the man we need between the sticks, but I also think the quality of prem keepers has been pretty high this year also. 

I think better than him in the prem (in no order) is currently:

Alisson

Ederson

De Gea

Dubravka 

Pope

Henderson

Leno

Rui Patricio 

Schmeichel 

I would probably put him similar to Fabianski, Lloris, Kepa, Foster and better than Pickford, Ramsdale, Ryan, Krul, McCarthy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alexvilla4 said:

How highly do you rate Tom Heaton in terms of prem keepers? I think a lot of Heaton and he is definitely the man we need between the sticks, but I also think the quality of prem keepers has been pretty high this year also. 

Alisson

Ederson

De Gea

Dubravka 

Pope

Henderson

Leno

Rui Patricio 

Schmeichel 

I would probably put him similar to Fabianski, Lloris, Kepa, Foster and better than Pickford, Ramsdale, Ryan, Krul, McCarthy 

You think that Heaton is better than Pickford? Why does Pickford get picked ahead of him for England then?

• Like 1

Pickford is the worst starting keeper in the league, only picked because he is a Southgate favourite. One of reasons Jack doesnt get picked as not a Southgate favourite

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexvilla4 said:

Alisson

Ederson

De Gea

Dubravka 

Pope

Henderson

Leno

Rui Patricio 

Schmeichel 

I would add in De Gea, Dubravka, Rui Patricio, and Leno I wouldn't swap him for.

Ability wise I think he's the best villa keeper ever. Unbelievably solid, holds everything tricky low and bouncing. Don't know if he'll ever get back to where he was at his age. Huge blow losing him.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pickford is the worst starting keeper in the league, only picked because he is a Southgate favourite. One of reasons Jack doesnt get picked as not a Southgate favourite

You really think that Pickford is the worst starting keeper in the league? You honestly believe that? Pickford was brilliant in the 2018 World Cup and for Everton, hence why he gets picked consistently as England no.1 and has been for quite some time 

I think Heaton is a good keeper.

Better than Steer and Nyland, it's a shame he got injured when he did as his experience could have helped us through the difficult fixtures and our bad run coincided with his absence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You really think that Pickford is the worst starting keeper in the league? You honestly believe that? Pickford was brilliant in the 2018 World Cup and for Everton, hence why he gets picked consistently as England no.1 and has been for quite some time 

2nd highest errors leading to goals in the last 5 season, he only played 4 of them seasons. Most goals conceded in the Premier League this season by a goalkeeper and has conceded over 200 goals in 3 and a half seasons as a Premier League goalkeeper.  Cant be a coincidence that his defences are always shit

He has no presence, always has a mistake in him, average on the ball, matchstick arms and is also a prick. Nyland and Steer are probably better keepers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2nd highest errors leading to goals in the last 5 season, he only played 4 of them seasons. Most goals conceded in the Premier League this season by a goalkeeper and has conceded over 200 goals in 3 and a half seasons as a Premier League goalkeeper.  Cant be a coincidence that his defences are always shit

He has no presence, always has a mistake in him, average on the ball, matchstick arms and is also a prick. Nyland and Steer are probably better keepers

Pickford or Randolph?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Any chance Heaton will be fit for any part of the season (assuming a completion date of late July)? And if so, anyone know if he will be eligible to play? He would be a huge improvement on Reina or Nyland. 

I hope so, he’s our best keeper by some distance, we need him back fit. Great signing by Smith for £8m, we look far more stable at the back when we have Heaton in between the sticks

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I hope so, he’s our best keeper by some distance, we need him back fit. Great signing by Smith for £8m, we look far more stable at the back when we have Heaton in between the sticks

Agreed. It would be a huge lift if he had got fit, but I just don’t think we’ll see him. I thought I’d heard 9mths mentioned when it happened?

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Agreed. It would be a huge lift if he had got fit, but I just don’t think we’ll see him. I thought I’d heard 9mths mentioned when it happened?

We don’t want to rush him back and risk injury again

34 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We don’t want to rush him back and risk injury again

I would normally agree but if the alternative is Reina and we need to stay up it’s a risk worth taking 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I would normally agree but if the alternative is Reina and we need to stay up it’s a risk worth taking 

What about Nyland and Steer? Just discard them? We have too many keepers I think, not forgetting Kalinic too, Sarkic wants out too apparently

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

What about Nyland and Steer? Just discard them? We have too many keepers I think, not forgetting Kalinic too, Sarkic wants out too apparently

True I’d rather play them than Reina 

• Like 1

Â