Tom Heaton

midian

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

How old is Heaton - like, 34 or something? I just wonder if this could be the beginning of the end :( 

Yeah I have to admit I thought the same thing. An injury this severe at that age COULD be career ending.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I have to admit I thought the same thing. An injury this severe at that age COULD be career ending.

Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that

You would think we need to be planning for life without him now, football can be cruel!

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We don’t need another centre back - we have 5 as it is .

Would hope we look to loan a keeper in if possible - hope heaton is back next season 

I don't agree, it's probably not highest priority but we missed Mings hugely when he was out and if we could get someone like Vida for a low price, another leader at the back, I think it would be useful. We've got a lot of CBs but being honest probably Hause and Chester are not PL standard and Konsa is very young and needs time to become consistently good. We've conceded far too many goals this season even with Heaton and Mings, it's clearly a weak area for us.

Imagine the priorities will be striker and goalkeeper first and foremost, but centre mid, defender and winger should also be on the radar imo.

Season defining - I think the bulk of keeping will come from what we have - Nyland in the short term - Maybe Steer when he regains fitness - for some weird reason I think Sarkic is more likley to get a game than Kalnic 

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

You would think we need to be planning for life without him now, football can be cruel!

I think it's too short notice to plan for the long term but given the possibility he may never come back i think something needs to be planned for the summer, unless either Nyland, Steer or Sarkic turn out to be world beaters!

I'm actually pissed off Sarkic might get recalled he's been doing OK by all accounts and a full season playing week in week out would have been fantastic for him.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very cruel. Still can’t believe 2 ACL injuries within 5 minutes. What are the odds! 

Two potential career ending injuries in 5 mins just about sums us up. We need to get some decent players in or Burnley would sum up pyrrhic victory

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

We don’t need another centre back - we have 5 as it is .

As much as I love him I think Chester is shot. That leaves 4, so if we are going to continue with 3 at the back we definitely need another imo. 

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

As much as I love him I think Chester is shot. That leaves 4, so if we are going to continue with 3 at the back we definitely need another imo. 

Agreed. If he didn’t have such an influence on the dressing room (see Jack waxing lyrical about him all the time) I think we’d have let him go on a free.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Agreed. If he didn’t have such an influence on the dressing room (see Jack waxing lyrical about him all the time) I think we’d have let him go on a free.

I'm not so sure, he could be suited to this 3 at the back system.

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

steer is injured for a good couple more months at least. not sure about kalinic. clearly not fancied and talks of him leaving in the window.

heard sarkic is being recalled - he's been brilliant up in scotland this season

In which case I'd go with what weve got. The reality is we wont sign a top class keeper and we badly need to strengthen up front, thay would be my priority.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm not so sure, he could be suited to this 3 at the back system.

Don’t get me wrong I think he could do a decent job in it I’m just not sure he’ll be physically able to play more than a game here and there. 

In the summer there was somewhat of a split on whether we should go for Heaton or Butland, both with the management and the fans. On the face of it I think we made the right decision... but it's not quite that simple.

Heaton has clearly had an immense impact on our defence and has been a calming force. Yet, even as a goalkeeper, he's certainly in the twilight of his career and it's not hyperbole to suggest an ACL injury at 33/34 could be a career ending injury. On the other side Butland's confidence/form has fallen off a cliff and he's largely having a poor season. However, he's 26 and could be a long term replacement.

Much like every human being, the wrong work place can make you underperform, lose confidence and stop putting in quite the same effort. I've certainly had it in jobs and a move has reinvigorated me. There's little to suggest the same could not be the same for Butland - he's not seen as a bad egg or had any significant injuries that have effected him.

We have to face up to no Heaton this season and possibly longer or not again. If Butland could be purchased at a reasonable price, considering his loss of form and Stoke's position in the Championship I personally think we'd be silly not to explore it. We could end up grabbing an absolute bargain now, one that would have been a much bigger gamble in the summer.

Stick with Nyland and make them fight for No.1. Steer is ages away from fitness, Kalanic clearly isn't part of Smith's plans ever and Sarkic is gaining great experience in Scotland and we would be silly to stunt his growth for time sitting on the bench.

I'd be delighted with Butland. One season (half season) doesn't make a bad player.

• Like 1

Â