Tom Heaton

midian

Very good keeper but prone to the odd clanger.

Which is why in Todays market he costs 10 - 20 mill and not 60 - 80 mill.

Same could be said for all our players.

I'm ALOT more comfortable with him between the sticks than I have been with any other keeper in the past couple of years though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

I think only Villa fans could somehow focus on a negative when they have scored 5 goals away from home and won their first away game in prem for 4 years.

From my point of view I think McGinn is the main culprit.We are 5-0 up why does he need to take it so quickly and his ball to Mings is waist high and difficult to control.

forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Even before I made my post I knew someone would come along and say something along these lines, a i felt pretty much obliged to pre-justify my post with a ‘I don’t mean to put a downer on things..’

This is a forum. A forum is a place for debate, where you talk about a particular topic.  It is EXACTLY the place to discuss where there might have been an error.

Increasingly you can’t seem to make an observation here without someone coming along and saying something like ‘only villa fans can somehow focus on a negative..’

seriously? It’s hardly ‘focus’ is it? It’s not like I made a comment in the post match thread saying ‘winning 5-1 doesn’t mean shit if we got a keeper who did THAT.’

it’s the Heaton thread.  Where I suggested he could have done better.  What’s wrong with that?

It’s a debate.  That’s what forums are for. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thug said:
forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Even before I made my post I knew someone would come along and say something along these lines, a i felt pretty much obliged to pre-justify my post with a ‘I don’t mean to put a downer on things..’

This is a forum. A forum is a place for debate, where you talk about a particular topic.  It is EXACTLY the place to discuss where there might have been an error.

Increasingly you can’t seem to make an observation here without someone coming along and saying something like ‘only villa fans can somehow focus on a negative..’

seriously? It’s hardly ‘focus’ is it? It’s not like I made a comment in the post match thread saying ‘winning 5-1 doesn’t mean shit if we got a keeper who did THAT.’

it’s the Heaton thread.  Where I suggested he could have done better.  What’s wrong with that?

It’s a debate.  That’s what forums are for. 

I totally agree about discussing all aspects but I feel sometimes we focus too much on negative things especially when so much was good.The game yesterday was unique and following our recent run where we have lost games or dropped points I just felt why not appreciate an amazing win.I also think we have a young and inexperienced team and finding faults may have impact on team morale.If we  were an established side fault finding is more acceptable.Some fans have begun to suggest that Smith is out of his depth in this league which I feel is unjustified.We are playing some of the best football I have seen many ,many years and maybe some people are taking it for granted.

With regards to Heaton as some have already suggested that was a 50/50 ball if he had contested the ball it might have injured him or he might have been sent off .At 5-0 it probably wasn’t worth the risk.

not being negative, he's defo the right man for our no1, just saw this from the Norwich game, i dont think he would have made contact with the ball in this scenario :P, seems he totally missed it and the norwich player kicked it against him and it bounced kindly. (vid linked at 7m 32s)

On 06/10/2019 at 21:28, screwdriver said:

I disagree.

1)McGinn - ridiculous lofted free kick back pass. Took it was too quickly,    - should of gone forwards to wesley to hold up by the corner flag james milner style.

b)Mings - Lazy swipe at the ball                                                                             - should of sprinted after the pass and launched it out of the stadium into kings lynn town centre.

5)Heaton - should of been on his toes.                                                                 -  should of performed a  tony schumacher style assault on the pressing player.  this solution to keeping that clean sheet.

These players should be made do some sort of forfeit, as it's really taken the gloss off a decent performance. we should have been more ruthless. IT's made a flawless performance into another decent performance with the customary 5mins of day dreaming.

The seeds of doubt have not still been exorcised in the minds of the villa fans we still believe that  that there is an off button in the minds of the villa players. when the clock is ticking down to 87mins they're thinking about the jonny machine in mechu.

Smith should of came out in the press conf and talked about this incident chris wilder style totally bringing these so called "international stars" back down to earth.

I hope terry, in turn pins them against the wall by their throats looks right into their eyes and says "don't you ever...."

I'm deeply concerned you think anyone should be grabbed around the throat! The fact that you want this done after a 5-1 away victory is deeply concerning and completely baffling. 

• Haha 1

On 06/10/2019 at 21:28, screwdriver said:

I disagree.

1)McGinn - ridiculous lofted free kick back pass. Took it was too quickly,    - should of gone forwards to wesley to hold up by the corner flag james milner style.

b)Mings - Lazy swipe at the ball                                                                             - should of sprinted after the pass and launched it out of the stadium into kings lynn town centre.

5)Heaton - should of been on his toes.                                                                 -  should of performed a  tony schumacher style assault on the pressing player.  this solution to keeping that clean sheet.

These players should be made do some sort of forfeit, as it's really taken the gloss off a decent performance. we should have been more ruthless. IT's made a flawless performance into another decent performance with the customary 5mins of day dreaming.

The seeds of doubt have not still been exorcised in the minds of the villa fans we still believe that  that there is an off button in the minds of the villa players. when the clock is ticking down to 87mins they're thinking about the jonny machine in mechu.

Smith should of came out in the press conf and talked about this incident chris wilder style totally bringing these so called "international stars" back down to earth.

I hope terry, in turn pins them against the wall by their throats looks right into their eyes and says "don't you ever...."

I'm deeply concerned you think anyone should be grabbed around the throat! The fact that you want this done after a 5-1 away victory is deeply concerning and completely baffling. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
Double post
  • Haha 1

On 06/10/2019 at 16:54, May-Z said:

I think Mings has been put in a difficult spot by McGinn. Obviously it's an error from Mings but McGinn has taken a quick free kick across the pitch at waist height to a CB who is being closed down...with three minutes of the game left. Then Mings balls up, then Heaton is slow. This is the 'game management' we lack. 

Agreed. Hospital pass from John.

It's never a pass McGinn would have made if it was 1-0 though. He was just getting on with it.

Still a weird pass to attempt from Mings, which he cocked up. Heaton was also very slow off his line and he was favourite when the pass happened to me.

A messy, crap goal that will hopefully annoy everyone to sharpen up if they want clean sheets.

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I hope once we're an established Premier League side we will sign a more modern keeper that is better with his feet.

I actually agree with you on something.

Don't think Heaton was necessarily signed with the long term view anyway.

Think he was just the best, most solid and experienced pair of hands we could get to bring stability within good value.

Currently the least of our worries though IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually agree with you on something.

Don't think Heaton was necessarily signed with the long term view anyway.

Think he was just the best, most solid and experienced pair of hands we could get to bring stability within good value.

Currently the least of our worries though IMO.

Will do a job for us, but is someone i would highly want to replace once we get established.

It's easy to see why he's been a Burnley keeper for this long. Very much a Dyche type of keeper.

Heaton would be the first player someone like Pep would throw out. Big upgrade to Nyland and Kalinic though.

But i still think Steer is a really good keeper and still think he wouldn't do much worse.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Will do a job for us, but is someone i would highly want to replace once we get established.

It's easy to see why he's been a Burnley keeper for this long. Very much a Dyche type of keeper.

Heaton would be the first player someone like Pep would throw out. Big upgrade to Nyland and Kalinic though.

But i still think Steer is a really good keeper and still think he wouldn't do much worse.

Whilst I agree if we were a top side we’d have better than Heaton, I think he’s a massive upgrade on Steer. He organises the defence, shouts instructions at them. Steer doesn’t do that

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst I agree if we were a top side we’d have better than Heaton, I think he’s a massive upgrade on Steer. He organises the defence, shouts instructions at them. Steer doesn’t do that

Don't know about "massive upgrade"

Can't really think of a single time this season where i've thought "Wow, without Heaton we would get nothing out of this game"

He's been ok so far, nothing more. Not impressed nor been poor.

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Apparently steer has been a lot more vocal lately in his cup games. On top of that I think he is more aggressive when coming for the ball which is important because against Burnley we should have got all 3 points and would have if Heaton had come for the cross. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Apparently steer has been a lot more vocal lately in his cup games. On top of that I think he is more aggressive when coming for the ball which is important because against Burnley we should have got all 3 points and would have if Heaton had come for the cross. 

Hutton said recently that Steer calmed the whole defense down when he got into the team.

I find it sad how disrespected Steer is among the fanbase. Without him we wouldn't even be in this league.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hutton said recently that Steer calmed the whole defense down when he got into the team.

I find it sad how disrespected Steer is among the fanbase. Without him we wouldn't even be in this league.

I’ve never seen Steer disrespected mate.  Everyone appreciates what he did for us. 

With all due respect if anyway is disrespected it’s Smith whenever we lose a game. 

• Like 1

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

11 days until the Brighton game, i hope to the lord it isnt a recurrence of the shoulder injury that kept him out for 30 odd games.

Edited by MaVilla

Â