Tom Heaton

midian

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Heaton is very very good borderline world class. If he had inho or erto in his name more people would be excited.

A 33 y.o with 93 minutes of international football to his name and 4 seasons of top flight football in his career.

One of which he missed 34 games in.

Let's not go ott here. Sure people have followed him much closer than I have but borderline world class?

And I don't rate him that high because I am racist?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

A 33 y.o with 93 minutes of international football to his name and 4 seasons of top flight football in his career.

One of which he missed 34 games in.

Let's not go ott here. Sure people have followed him much closer than I have but borderline world class?

And I don't rate him that high because I am racist?

Erm what’s racism got to do anything with my post? ... ott reaction me thinks.

Edited by Sulberto21

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Erm what’s racism got to do anything with my post? ... ott reaction me thinks.

If he had inho or erto in his name.

What did you mean by that then? 

Sorry if I misunderstood, I took it as you dismissing peoples opinions of him because of him not having a fancy foreign name?

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If you were honestly banging the drum about signing Heaton 10 years ago, when he was plying his trade in the lower leagues and we were challenging for CL football, then more power to you.

As it happens, I don't believe you.

No worries cause that's not what I said either. I enjoy it when we sign any young up and coming player, especially when they are English, cause that's a part of what I enjoy most with football. There's a difference between that and banging the drum. We could easily have signed Heaton 10 years ago for potential, but like I said it's good to know you can speak for others. 

If putting words into people's mouths and making stuff up is your thing, feel free. 

Just now, sne said:

Sorry if I misunderstood, I took it as you dismissing peoples opinions of him because of him not having a fancy foreign name?

Not quite calling you a racist though is it? Just saying that fans tend to overrate players from Brazil etc.

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

Not quite calling you a racist though is it? Just saying that fans tend to overrate players from Brazil etc.

Sure, racist is the wrong word.

Just grates me that people can't fathom that people actually watch football not played in England and may have actually watched foreign players before they set their foot in England.

It's the fancy name we are swayed by...

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure, racist is the wrong word.

Just grates me that people can't fathom that people actually watch football not played in England and may have actually watched foreign players before they set their foot in England.

It's the fancy name we are swayed by...

Anyway, back to Thomset Heatiniho....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£8m is peanuts - and anyway it's not my money.

Does he improve the starting 11? Yes
Will he provide competition for places? Yes
Is it that risky? Not really
Will he be good for another couple of seasons, until (hopefully) we do another rebuild to push into to top tier? Yes
Is this the last question? Yes

Welcome Tommy, be a hero

Edited by LoughboroughLion
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No worries cause that's not what I said either. I enjoy it when we sign any young up and coming player, especially when they are English, cause that's a part of what I enjoy most with football. There's a difference between that and banging the drum. We could easily have signed Heaton 10 years ago for potential, but like I said it's good to know you can speak for others. 

If putting words into people's mouths and making stuff up is your thing, feel free. 

You should be happy. When playing in PL you need good exp. keeper. Its most important position on the pitch.Biggest signing of this window. PL captain - its huge.

• Like 2

Warmed to this signing after a days careful thought and deliberation £8 mill is nothing in today’s market and he is experienced in PL which I now realise is crucial in our current position as a newly promoted club.... he can always be upgraded next summer if needs be/right keeper becomes available...

I have this wild idea that we will sign Benítez next summer on a free based on a made up conversation I’ve envisaged between us and his agent, his (supposedly) cryptic tweet and a wild imagination.. The fact is we can negotiate with him from January if he doesn’t leave this summer or sign a new deal. All based on nothing than me hating my job and daydreaming all day😂

2 hours ago, sne said:

The point I'm making is some fans are unhappy  because Heaton doesn't have a fancy foreign name so he probably isn’t good enough based on the fact we’ve been linked with two very good foreign keepers recently. One is injury prone and the other is probably too expensive (FFP) for us.

The way to look at this signing is this : Butland is imo overpriced and obviously it is for our recruitment team. Therefore a solid dependable experienced gifted keeper is available for £8million and will most likely get 8-12 points for us  this season and probably next. In the meantime we can continue to look for a younger more expensive keeper for next season.

Yes Steer has done well for us. But imo he is a Stuart Taylor a Mike Oakes he is a number 2. Heaton is a clear number 1. Our younger players will benefit greatly. 

If i was playing CB for Villa id rather see Heaton over Steer. For whatever reason the other keepers haven’t materialised so Heaton is a good alternative. Solid and Dependable will be good for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The speculation tag has gone! Hooray!

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, why has that happened?

i think it's being swapped for "having a medical" tag.

• Haha 3

Â