Tom Heaton

midian

7 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

So we paid 8M for a Keeper and only signed a 2 year deal with him? Doesn't look like astute business. At least his wages will come off of our books.

Looks like cracking business to me. No long term contracts for players at a questionable age and fitness record.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

So you think we should have given him a 5 year contract like Given?

Heaton was a good signing at the time, probably the best we could get. We since then bought Martinez who is better and 7 years younger.

Heaton was unlucky with the injury but sadly has been injury prone for the last few years and will not be first choice anymore. We can now get a younger keeper in instead. If his contract was longer we would be paying a first team contract for a back up goalkeeper.

A 2 year contract for a goalkeeper in his 30s with a injury record and Villa's position of trying to restablish themselves in the premier league was sensible business.

Three year deal I think is what most of us assumed. So he could've just stayed here for 12 more months as reliable back up or we just sell him for 3-4m, Man. United could certainly have afford that aswell.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I would say they are about par with each other tbh as goalkeepers, Emi just has the advantage of being naturally more athletic. Both fantastic keepers. 

I'll be sorry to see Tom go, especially at such a loss after a serious injury, but that's the risk particularly when you buy older players unfortunately.

Good luck Tom 

Cat No GIF by MOODMAN - Heaton is not a bad keeper by any stretch, but Emi is top class. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Cat No GIF by MOODMAN - Heaton is not a bad keeper by any stretch, but Emi is top class. 

Recency bias. Heaton was potentially the best keeper in the league when he was fit and playing regularly for a poor Burnley side. Some of his saves were unreal and looking at one of the few seasons he played almost every game, his stats speak for themselves.

2016/17:

Apps 35

Saves 141

Clean Sheets 10

Conceded 48

Errors leading to goal 0

Passes 1127 (Accurate long balls 378)

Emi's stats this season with a better team in front of him:

Apps 34

Saves 123

Clean Sheets 14

Conceded 41

Errors leading to goal 1

Passes 1022 (Accurate long balls 238)

As I said, they're a very similar quality of goalkeeper.

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

Recency bias is fairly relevant considering the question is who is better for us now. Extreme example - Maradona in his prime was better than Grealish is now. But he's dead now and therefore Grealish is better for this team.

Well, I interpreted the statement that "Emi has been twice the keeper" literally. I know, imagine taking something at face value!

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Well, I interpreted the statement that "Emi has been twice the keeper" literally. I know, imagine taking something at face value!

I was quoting your post about recency bias though. I just meant that Emi is better now and therefore it doesn't really matter if Heaton was as good as Emi (which it can be argued that he was) 4 or 5 years ago.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Recency bias. Heaton was potentially the best keeper in the league when he was fit and playing regularly for a poor Burnley side. Some of his saves were unreal and looking at one of the few seasons he played almost every game, his stats speak for themselves.

2016/17:

Apps 35

Saves 141

Clean Sheets 10

Conceded 48

Errors leading to goal 0

Apps 34

Saves 123

Clean Sheets 14

Conceded 41

Errors leading to goal 1

I like Tom but Emi is on a totally different level. Maybe not much difference in shot stopping (although Emi is probably better) but in every other facet Emi is vastly superior. Tom is leaving to be a number 2. If Emi were to leave he would be going as a number 1 to one of the top teams in the world.

• Like 1

Martinez is the better keeper and is 7 years younger. That's why he cost twice the price. That is also why we wouldn't been in the position to sign him in our first year back.

Heaton was a good signing at the time, it was just unfortunate he got another bad injury. Had we got relegated Heaton would have been a perfectly good keeper for the championship for a season or two.

Heaton is widely assumed to be on about 40 to 45 grand a week. That is quite a lot of money for a 35 year keeper who is only back up and has averaged less than 10 games per season in the last 4 years. Its a no brainer that we will let him go.

After the injuries he’s had, I for one  delighted Heaton’s found himself a nice move. 

I dislike the club he’s moving to, but I’m happy Tom can get up every morning knowing he could be playing Champions League next week. Beats a final payday playing for Bolton or wherever. Good for Tom. Best of luck to him.

45 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I like Tom but Emi is on a totally different level. Maybe not much difference in shot stopping (although Emi is probably better) but in every other facet Emi is vastly superior. Tom is leaving to be a number 2. If Emi were to leave he would be going as a number 1 to one of the top teams in the world.

Tom is older therefore less athletic and has the bad luck of being quite injury prone which has held him back throughout his career. Those are literally the only differences between them in terms of ability and stats. Tom would be England #1 if not for his injuries.

Emi is a top class goalkeeper but they both are. To suggest otherwise just because we haven't seen Tom in a while is revisionism at its finest.

Did his job, we stayed up last season, it's a shame he got injured, Reina came in and did his job too, both were short term fixes, glad we had him and I'm now glad we have emi 

Crazy if utd sign him though, they produce and don't use so many keepers (Inc Heaton himself obviously) maybe cash in on Henderson 

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Recency bias is fairly relevant considering the question is who is better now. Extreme example - Maradona in his prime was better than Grealish is now. But he's dead now and therefore Grealish is better for this team.

I know a few Argentinians who would suggest Maradona is better than Jack even when dead.  

• Haha 1

I'm in the fair play camp. He's been a model professional. Class in everyway and no doubt a great template for other members of the squad. It's a shame he wants to go back to that dump but he's not getting in our current 11 anytime soon. I think he'll play more regularly up there and deserves as much game time as he can get after the last 12 months plus.  

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

2016/17:

Apps 35

Saves 141

Clean Sheets 10

Conceded 48

Errors leading to goal 0

Apps 34

Saves 123

Clean Sheets 14

Conceded 41

Errors leading to goal 1

But then heaton stats you've posted are quite a few years ago before a serious injury. At one time their may have been a competition. Right now martinez is streets ahead, no question.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Tom is older therefore less athletic and has the bad luck of being quite injury prone which has held him back throughout his career. Those are literally the only differences between them in terms of ability and stats. Tom would be England #1 if not for his injuries.

Emi is a top class goalkeeper but they both are. To suggest otherwise just because we haven't seen Tom in a while is revisionism at its finest.

Tom is and always has been fairly poor at commanding his area. Emi is first class. Tom is average at one on one’s. Emi is very good. Tom has average distribution. Emi’s is good.Not revisionism, purely observations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So what are peoples thoughts on our overall goalkeeping options once he's gone?

Steer, then?

Are we amply covered in the department if Emi were to be out for any reason?

Kalinic can return unless we promote one of the younger keepers to no. 3

• Like 1

Â