Tom Heaton

midian

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Accountability = ridiculous notion.

Sounds about right for this day and age to be fair. I would never knowingly share something to be consumed by the public on a platform managed by myself without backing whatever content that might be.

But then I guess I’m in a minority.

It's an account on twitter to act like a Villa news 'feed' - not a news source. They even let you know where the link has come from, for e.g, Villa linked to John McGinn (Daily Mirror).

It's not their fault you seemingly are taking it the wrong way.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

It's an account on twitter to act like a Villa news 'feed' - not a news source. They even let you know where the link has come from, for e.g, Villa linked to John McGinn (Daily Mirror).

It's not their fault you seemingly are taking it the wrong way.  

I’m not taking it anyway, thankfully I don’t rely on twitter or instagram for my news but sadly, some people do - and the spread of disinformation (whether source or repost) is rampant in society, pretty much harmless in a footballing context but not so much in others.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Very solid performance again. Only thing lacking really is his distribution. Huge difference between him and Ryan today in that department.

But also a huge difference in the more important departments around being a competent keeper. Ryan is garbage, cost them a goal that was incorrectly ruled by VAR, flaps at everything and was pretty pathetically positioned for the winner. 

Heaton made a huge save for us at 1-0 down, without that we would have gone on to lose.

• Like 2

He's got modern-game shortcomings, but I just feel safe with him. And that's with a few errors this season! Bournemouth and I think Burnley he could have come for that cross.

Everything is solid though, handling, organisation, shot stopping.

Perfect for us right now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He's got modern-game shortcomings, but I just feel safe with him. And that's with a few errors this season! Bournemouth and I think Burnley he could have come for that cross.

Everything is solid though, handling, organisation, shot stopping.

Perfect for us right now.

I just don't see his 'distribution' as a major weakness as I'm not sold on it's importance in a keeper, it's a modern fad and should take a smaller weight in the mix of other attributes a keeper needs. Bigger weaknesses in Heaton are that he can be slow of his line and whilst not terrible at claiming crosses it's perhaps something he doesn't do as well.

If Heaton was fast off his line and had great feet he'd be at a top club. He's an excellent keeper IMO and I'm delighted to have him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

But also a huge difference in the more important departments around being a competent keeper. Ryan is garbage, cost them a goal that was incorrectly ruled by VAR, flaps at everything and was pretty pathetically positioned for the winner. 

Heaton made a huge save for us at 1-0 down, without that we would have gone on to lose.

Yeah I'd have Heaton over him any day. It just would have been nice for him to have as well. He kept giving them the ball right back to them in the first half when they were all over us which made it harder for us to get a foothold in the game. It's not just that he plays it long more often, but that even his long balls are rather aimless. They're just punts up the field. At least they're not going out of play like with Johnstone or Guzan though, so it's not the worst kicking in the world. But the fact that I'm nitpicking is a sign of how good he is I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled off some great saves today but, does anyone else think that he could maybe have gotten closer to Robertson for that header? He's headed that from about 5 yards and the cross came over from the opposite side so surely he had time to get over to that ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Pulled off some great saves today but, does anyone else think that he could maybe have gotten closer to Robertson for that header? He's headed that from about 5 yards and the cross came over from the opposite side so surely he had time to get over to that ball. 

I’ll have to look at it again, but I didn’t think he did much wrong in all honesty.

He had a really good game regardless.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

This is his sole weakness. Burnley fans mentioned it to me, but said he's excellent at everything else, which is fair.

It's a good, pacy cross, I'd need to see it again to decide if he should have come.

Keepers today are effing amazing. I have so much respect for them it’s unreal. About 20years ago I asked some Walsall players who were training if I go in nets just to see what they are capable of. I was shell shocked with the speed and power of shots. The amount of times I wasn’t ready was stunning. I then went in net a few weeks back with some of their youth players ( they’re in league two now). 

Heaton is an amazing keeper. What he must have to face in the premier league I can only speculate what the absolute best strikers are capable of. Even the youths of Walsall today can kick and throw keepers off balance quicker than their professionals of 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, turvontour said:

What is his injury? Was it done in training?

He's pulled out of the England squad, so must be out for a while whatever he's done

Â